*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1460846-Tinas-birthday-surprise
by Anum
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1460846
Little Tina was waiting for her Grandpa on her birthday...
Little Tina was in a sour mood. It was her birthday, and there was a big party thrown for her. But she was sitting silently in the garden, not talking with any of her friends. "I will not cut the cake until Grandpa comes with the big doll he had promised to gift me last year!" she would say again and again. Why didn't everybody understand, she thought angrily, Grandpa has promised he would come to see her, and she would not start her birthday party until he comes.

Tina's stubborn behavior was worrying her parents and brother. There was no way that Grandpa could come to her party, since he had passed away six months ago.

Grandpa used to love Tina very much. He used to say she was his most favorite grandchild. Whenever he came to visit her, he brought a lot of toys and chocolates for her, and he used to tell her a lot of interesting stories. Whenever Tina was ill, he would come and bring fruits for her and take care of her. If Tina needed anything, she just had to ask for it to Grandpa, and Grandpa would make sure Tina gets what she had asked for. On her last birthday, Tina had asked for a big doll she had seen on the display on a shop at the mall. However, the doll had already been sold when Grandpa had taken her to the mall. Instead, Grandpa had bought her a cute teddy bear, and promised to gift her a similar doll on her next birthday.

Soon after that, Grandpa had fallen very ill. Tina went to see him in the hospital everyday.

"Don't worry, Grandpa, you will get better very soon," Tina used to assure her grandfather everyday, and Grandpa used to smile when she said this. But Tina had noticed Grandpa was getting very weak, and her parents looked very sad. One day, she had heard the doctor telling her father that Grandpa might not be with them for too long now. Tina had ran to her Grandpa then.

"Grandpa, you will never leave us, will you?" she had asked as tears poured down her big eyes.

"Everyone have to leave one day or the other, Tina," Grandpa had replied politely, "But I will never leave you. I will always come and see you and take care of you."

Tina had been very happy, but soon after that Grandpa had passed away. Tina was sure Grandpa would fulfill his promise to her. He would come to see her, as he had said. And then, on her birthday, she was refusing to cut the cake Mamma has so lovingly prepared for her, until Grandpa comes with the big doll.

Tina's family tried everything to cheer her up, but nothing would make Tina smile. She did not wish to play any games, she did not enjoy any music, and refused to touch any ice-cream either. She even did not smile when her brother, Jeff, came dressed as a clown, and she payed no attention to Aunt Lucy's stories, which her friends found very interesting. Tina was waiting for Grandpa, and nothing else would cheer her up.

"Grandpa, when will you come back?" Tina said out loud, and her eyes brimmed with tears. Just then everything went dark as the all lights went off, and Tina saw a figure clad in a white gown walking towards her.

"Grandpa!" Tina said, standing up, her eyes shining even after the tears had fallen out of them.

"Yes Tina, how are you?" Grandpa said with a gentle smile.

"Grandpa, I knew you would come," Tina said, jumping with happiness, "You have kept your promise!"

Grandpa smiled and nodded, "Yes Tina, I had to come. How could have I missed your birthday?"

Tina grinned cheerfully. "But Grandpa, why did you come so late? And why did you never come to see me before now?" she asked, "You had promise you would keep coming to see me!"

"Of course I had," Grandpa smiled, "And I have kept my promise too. I always come to see you, to see whether you are happy and alright. But you don't know when I come to see you."

"How is that, Grandpa?" Tina asked with surprise.

"Do you remember all those colorful birds you see at day time?" Grandpa asked and Tinna nodded. "I always come to see as one of them," Grandpa said, "And when it is night, I turn into a star to come and see you."

"Really Grandpa?" Tina said, surprised and happy.

"Yes," Grandpa said, "If you want to know who am I, then always look for the bird who sings the sweetest, or the star which shines most brightly."

"Ok, Grandpa," Tina said, smiling widely.

"I came here to wish you a happy birthday," Grandpa said, "And I have brought your gift as well." And Grandpa gave a her a box wrapped with pink and golden gift paper. Tina unwrapped the box and was delighted to see the big doll she had loved so much.

"Thank you, Grandpa," Tina said excitedly.

Grandpa smiled. "But now I have to go Tina," he said, "But don't cry or be upset again, because whenever I see that you are upset, I feel very sad."

"I will always be happy, Grandpa," Tina promised.

"Thats like a good girl!" Grandpa appreciated, "Good bye, Tina."

And with that, Grandpa walked away on the same way he had came to her, and Tina waved her hand until she could no longer see Grandpa.

Suddenly, lights were back and Tina looked around. Nobody seemed to know that Grandpa had just came and visited her.

"Thats a lovely doll Tina," Mamma said as she walked towards her again, "Hey - isn't it the same doll Grandpa promised to give you?"

"Yes, Mamma, Grandpa just came," Tina said excitedly, "And he gave me this doll."

"What are you talking about, Tina?" Mamma looked surprised, "When did Grandpa came? None of us saw him."

"Mamma, I think Grandpa had just came to see Tina," Jeff said, "And he went away after seeing her."

Tina was overjoyed. Meanwhile, her father was at back door, talking with his Uncle Tom. Uncle Tom was Grandpa's identical twin brother, and Tina had never seen him before as he used to live in another country. He had just moved to this country previous week. When Tina had been so sad, her parents had called him and explained him the situation, and Uncle Tom had agreed to talk with Tina as her grandfather.

As Tina cut the cake and then played all the party games, her parents and brother smiled. They could count on all the guests to never tell the truth to Tina.
© Copyright 2008 Anum (storywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1460846-Tinas-birthday-surprise