*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1461146-Vampire-of-the-1800s
Rated: E · Short Story · Gothic · #1461146
Charlote's vampiricness awakens when she is 17. She tells her mom and meets Claude.
For some reason I've been having strange cravings. I would wake up in the middle of the night and want blood, strange enough. I would wind up wringing out the blood from all the meat in our house into a cup. Then heat it up and drink it. But lately the cravings have been getting worse. They have been coming much more ofthen. It's even been hapening during my schooling and at home. Just about everyitime I see another human. "Dear what are you doing?" my mother asked as I took the cup off the stove.
"I-I'm hungry" I said.
"What are you making?" mom asked
"It's just a bedtime snack, mom. I'll go to bed when I finish it" I called back.
"Okay, sweetie" she said as she returned to her room. I quickly cleaned up all the meat and threw it out.
The next day in class we were learning about vampires. We were told that vampires drink blood and don't usually go out in the sun. "Any questions or comments?" my teacher asked. I raised my hand. "Yes Alexander?" he asked.
"How can you tell if someone is a vampire?" I asked.
"If they can't sleep at night and they have a craving for blood" a man with a raspy voice said as he came from the back of the room.
"And how do you know this?" I asked him.
" I am a vampire hunter" he said.
"Can you be born from a vampire?" I asked.
"It's not very common but it has been knowen to happen" he replied.
"Okay. Are there any good vampires in the world?" I asked.
"No there is not, all vampires are wicked" he said. I ignored him after he declared 'no', and walked out of the room. "Alexander, where are yhou going? I didn't dismiss class yet" my teacher chased me.
"I'm leaving. I don't agree with what he says, and I'm hungry" I said.
"I don't mind if you sit outside durring this class but you can't leave without permission" he lectured. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around his "What are you doing Alexander?" he asked.
"I'm realy quite hungry" I whispered into his ear. I opened my mouth and bit into his neck. I got a taste of his blood and then couldn't stop untill he was dead. I wiped the blood off my face and went home as fast as possible. "Mother, I'm a monster" I called as I ran in the door.
"What's wrong dear?" she asked.
"Mother, I just killed my teacher" I said. I colapsed to the grownd and started to rock back and forth.
"You did what?' she asked.
"I didn't mean to" I said "He just smelled so sweet and my body took over."
""What do you mean?" she asked. She was frantic.
"I drank his blood" I said "What am I?" I couldn't stand it. Not knowing what I was. "My body hasn't changed even the slightest since I rurned seventeen, and I've been having cravings for blood. I can't take it anymore" I said, the anger rising in me like a volcano.
"I guess it's time I tell you" my mothersaid. "One day we found you. You were just a baby then. You were wrapped in part of a theater curtain and you had a note pinned to the blanket." She rummaged through some papers "Here it is" she handed me a piece of parchment paper. It read:
To whom may find her:
Please take care of her. Her name is Charlote. She is a very good baby. She doesnt scream much. Be good to her please. She'll find me when the time comes
Victoria
"You say it was part of a theater curtain?" I asked.
"Yes" my mother said
"Okay. I'm going to find Victoria, and find out what's going on with me" I said. I didn't stay long enough for her concent.
I searched for weeks on end. I fed on the random prostitutes and strippers that lurked the night's streets. Finally I found a theater that was different from the rest. I waited until dusk and entered the building with the rest of the people. My skin had growen to be extremely pale and my canine teeth were painfully growing longer, I watched the play and when it was over I went backstage only to find one man standing there. "Miss, can I help you?" he asked.
"I'm looking for Victoria" I said.
"And whom should I tell her is visiting?" he asked "And you do know we're not supposed to allow people to see the actors unless they're expecting you, but from what I can tell you don't look like the type to try to murder the actors, plus you seem reasonable."
"Tell her that Charlote is here to see her," I said.
He left and came back a few minutes later. "She'll see you now," he said "follow me." I followed him to a dark room where a woman had waited for me. "Charlote, dear, you have come to find me" she said.
"What's going on with me?" I asked "I've been craving human blood, my teath hurt, and my skin has gone sheet white" I told her.
"It's just part of the development. You're the first vampire to be physically born in over a hundred years" Victoria sais
"I'm the first what?" I asked.
"Vampire" she said
"I'm no monster" I said "Yeah, I accidentally killed my teacher but it was an accident." I wasn't about to admit to killing the prostitutes and strippers.
"It's true my dear" said a male that just walked into the room. I think. I couldn't tell if he was already there or not. "What do you mean 'it's true.' I'm not someone who kills uncontrollably. I'm not a monster" I said. I slid to my knees and began to cry "Why? Why? Why has this happened to me?" I asked "What have I done to deserve this?"
"You didn't do anything, my sweet girl," the man said.
"Who do you think you are? You know nothing about me" I screamed. The tears were hot on my face.
"We know you quite well," Victoria said quietly.
"How? How do you know me? You know nothing about me. You abandoned me when I was just a baby," I screamed.
"I-I," Victoria stammered.
"What's with all the noise?!" another man shouted walking down the stairs. The man who was talking earlier picked me up and hid me in one of the chests in the room.
"Well? I'm waiting," the guy that just came down the stairs asked.
"It's nothing Claude, we were just practicing," the man who just hid me said.
"Victoria, is wat James says true?" the man called Claude asked. It was silent for a moment and then I heard footsteps come over to the chest I was in. Someone kicked it and it rolled over three times. I kicked the chest open and climbed out. "What in god's name was that for!?" I shouted.
"We have a brave one here," the man who kicked the trunk said.
"If you think I'm afraid of you then you're gravely mistaken" I said moving into a fighting stance.
"Look, she thinks she can fight me" the man laughed.
"Who the hel do you think you are?" I asked angrily
"Charlote, don't. You're not strong enough to fight Claude, you'll get hurt" Victoria said running over to me. "He's not like the mortals you've met in the past"
"Stay out of my battles" I said angrily.
"What is making you so angry, little one?" Claude asked
"The name's Charlote and I just found out I'm a born monster" I spat
"Now what could she possibly mean by born monster?" Claude asked.
"She is my and James's daughter," Victoria said.
"Then why were you trying to hide a freshly turned vampire from me?" Claude asked as he began to walk over to Victoria.
I began to laugh "Oh, I get it" I said. I think I was going through hysterics.
"Get what?" Claude asked.
"This whole ting. Vampires don't realy exist. This is all just a play. You're practicing" I continued "And you're suposed to be the villan" I pointed at Claude.
"You think it's all a joke?" James, Claude, and Victoria asked slightly shocked.
"Of course it is. There's no possible way that vampires exist. It's just not logical" I couldn't stop laughing.
Claude walked over and slapped me across the face. "Stop it child" he shouted. "Vampires exist. You're one of them. You're going to have to get used to it."
"Really? Then prove it" I said. He went up the stairs and came back with a human child. The child stood in front of me. "Drink" Claude said. I knelt down to the boy's height. "Where are your parents little one?" I asked. He hugged me. "Mommy and daddy are in heaven," he said in his his childish voice. He was shaking all over. "Don't worry, I won't hurt you" I said. I took off my jacket and wrapped it around him. "Sleep now sweet child, there's nothing to fear" I whispered holding him in my arms. The child fell asleep a few moments later. I went over to Claude. "I'll admit to killing, I'll admit to being a vampire. But I ralized that the real monster here is you. I'll never feed or take the life of a child," I said angrily.
"I am one of the oldest vampires in the world and you think you can say things like that to me?" Claude asked angrily
"I don't care if youre the oldest vampire in the world or the oldest dog in the world. Don't ever come near me again" I said "For I swear with all the gods of the world as my witnesses that if I ever see you again you will face the wrath of Charlote!"
I left the theater with the child sitll in my arms and returned home. "Mother, father. I'm home" I called as I got in the house. My mother ran down the stairs as I sat down on the love seat with the child laying on me. "Charlote, you're back" she said excitedly.
"Mother quiet down, please" I whispered.
"What's that?" she asked. I moved the jacket from over the childs face. "It turns out I'm a living vampire. The product of sexual reproduction between two vampires" I whispered "It only hapen every few hundred years"
"Why do you have a child?" my father whispered.
"Another vampire, Claude, brought him to me and wanted me to take his life. Instead I took him in. As my child" I said quietly. "Tomorrow I'm going to take him to get some clothing. Goodnight." I took the child to my room, laid him in the bed next to me and covered us up.
The next evening I woke up. The child was already awake and with my mother. I went to him. "Hey. Do you have a name?" I asked.
"Michael," he said.
"Well Michael, let's go to the tailor's shop. I want to get you some clothes," I said. He came with me with no protest. "Hey Michael?" I asked. He looked at me "Would you mind if I were to become your new mother?" I asked.
"I love you mommy. You saved me from the bad man," Michael warmed up to me quickly. I went and talked to the tailor and he took Michael and began to make his clothing. I waited until they were done with his outfits and took him to many other fun places. I would play with him constantly. Teach him to read and write, I would even teach him how to hunt and many other things.
This went on for about three years. Michael had just turned seven. I took him to the tailor to get some new clothes. While he was in the shop I went out to an alley and fed on a prostitute. "So the great Charlote does feed like any other vampire," a voice came from a roof top near by. I jumped on the roof and found who had commented. It was Claude. "I thought I told you never to come near me or my child again," I said angrily.
"Your child?" he asked. I took out my knife. I had made it myself. It was made of silver and I had made it so when you put kerosine in it, it would go directly into the blood streem when it was stabbed into something or someone, and once the knife was empty the kerosine would ignite itself. Burning the person or thing that was stabbed by it.
I waited until Claude wasn't paying attention and caught him off guard. I plunged the knife in him and left it there. By the time Claude got the knife out it was too late. The kerosine was already in his body and was about to ignite. When he began to burn I stood there and watched with content. When he was nothing but ash I reclaimed my knife and swept them into the wind. I returned to the shop. "Sweetie, do you like your outfit?" I asked. Michael was never the wiser as to what I had done. And neither was anyone else.
© Copyright 2008 Artemis Trinity (artemistrinity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1461146-Vampire-of-the-1800s