*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462005-Running-from-life-prologue
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1462005
hmmm. im not sure how to describe it, it just sort of flew out from under my fingers
Lying there in those warm, seriously muscled arms I realized I needn't fear any longer. That the man just under me would never let anything bad happen to me.
Boy was I wrong! Being wrong is something I'm very used to now. Every day he'll come home, take it out on me in some form, then drink until he feels better. After I stop bleeding he would try to make things better by "making love to me", and I won't stand for it anymore.
I had been able to sneak-out before he woke but I knew It wasn't going to be long now before he awoke in the empty bed. The sun was just beginning to rise. I would have to hide soon, for I would hear his roaring engine speeding by, looking for me. I walked a mile or so more and spotted an abandoned old barn, I would hide there, I decided.
I had just ducked under the barb wire fence when I heard the engine I was listening for. I sprinted for the barn and made it just in the nick-of-time. As the deafening engine passed I stole a peek, he was still drunk from the looks of it, he was swerving like crazy and almost hit a tree. Honestly, I wished he had. I wished he'd died from it, so i was no longer on the run.
The noisy red truck suddenly passed by again, I wasn't sure if I'd gotten back in the barn in time or not, but the truck did not stop or turn around, so I hope I'm safe. I started running - in the opposite direction of man I hoped to never see again -and I didn't stop for another twenty miles.
When I did stop it was in front of the police station, I took a deep breath and pushed the door open... In the air conditioned office there was only a smiling woman behind a cluttered desk and a few chairs, none of which occupied... I held my breath as I took a step forward, the woman seemed to notice when I winced at the intake, and her smile disappeared.
"Can I help you?" she asked in a high piched voice.
"I'd like to report a long time abuse."

Four hours later the report was finished, I walked out of the station crying, crying because I was happy. I will never see the man who had made my life a living hell again. It was dark out now, and getting cold, I sat on the bench in front of the building and started searching through my backpack until I found my sweatshirt. It hurt to move my arms so much because of last night's beating.
Something kicked my tummy and the tears came a lot faster now, I was homeless, I was poor, I was scared, and I was pregnant. I'd always dreamed of having a baby, but that dream vanished the first time he beat me. Why would anyone bring a child into that?
He was so happy when we found out I was pregnant; I'd told him that it was impossible for me to have children because of some genetic disease; he swore he wouldn't ever beat me again... The very next day he got fired from his job, he was so angry that he came back and didn't even touch the beer he just went straight to me and the fists started flying.
That was eight months ago and there have only been about three days without him beating me. I slowly made my way to a pay-phone. I hoped my best friend was home, she'd noticed my husband beating me when she came over one day, and had encouraged me to speak up soon after. The phone range twice and her husband answered.
"Is Jen there?" I asked."
Yes, are you okay Kate?" Jen hadn't been able to keep my husband's behavior from him.
"I ran away." That was all I needed to say for him to understand. Jen had promised me a home if I should get the courage up to run away.
"Oh Kate, are you okay?" Jen asked in a clearly worried tone.
"Yes, I'm right outside the police station; will you come and get me?" But before she could answer there was a sharp pain in my tummy, and earsplitting cry filled the night.
© Copyright 2008 Megan Calico (bugcmain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462005-Running-from-life-prologue