*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462020-Auto-Body-vs-Auto-Repair
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Educational · #1462020
Article on the difference between auto body and auto repair shops.
Auto Body vs. Auto Repair – Who Does What?

By Russell A. Simon


When it comes to the difference between an auto body shop and an auto repair shop, a little information can help you choose which one you need and get you back on the road faster.

Even though your car is “in the shop” regardless of which type of shop it’s in, the main difference is in the type of work done at each shop. Simply put, auto body shops repair vehicles – including body work and painting – following a major accident, whereas an auto repair shop is where to take a vehicle for regular maintenance or repair from minor accidents.

Similarly, you might consider an auto body shop the place to go when you need a team of trained technicians to perform multiple repairs at once, often involving larger equipment such as would be required to repair the frame or chassis of a car. On the other hand, you can consider a repair shop the place to go when you need a mechanic (today called an auto service technician) to perform general maintenance or a single repair.

Here’s a quick example to further help explain the difference using one of the most common auto repairs – the “check engine” light. When the “check engine” light comes on as a result of normal usage, you should take your car to a local auto repair shop. However, if the “check engine” light comes on because of damage sustained in a collision, then you likely have a host of repairs best suited to an auto body shop.

In the end, both types of shops can perform the repair, but it’s not likely they will. Overall, body shops don’t typically take on minor repairs as the bulk of their workload comes from major accidents; i.e., those typically handled under an auto insurance policy. Similarly, a repair shop might not have the resources to take on larger repairs, so they work primarily with individuals paying for the general upkeep of their vehicles.

Finally, an auto repair shop also is the most likely destination for individuals seeking to modify (engine performance, suspension, wheels/tires, etc.) a vehicle.


© Copyright 2008 rsimon91 (rsimon91 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462020-Auto-Body-vs-Auto-Repair