*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462047-White-Wolf
Rated: E · Poetry · Family · #1462047
For Roy my Souix Brother - White Dog given name
 
  I probably should have told more when I first posted this. I will now. Roy was a real person I met. He was severely beaten almost to death outside a bar in Baltimore. I met him a few years later in a rehab. I often wondered where he went after we met. We had many great conversations about Native Americans. He was afraid of what I told him ( that is some strange things that occurred to me) He would never venture an opinion. But because he was who he was in this so called wonderful country, he was beaten half to death for being himself. A Native American. When I wrote this he refused to read it because his name was in fact White Dog. He did not want anyone changing it even though he hated his upbringing. I mused about this and after we parted I thought about him many times.
I always thanked God we met. You see poeple like this are so unique. They are who we all should be. Proud to be alive, fighting to survive and never denying  who we are. I am proud to be part Native American. My father who died too young and brocken hearted will never be forgotten. Like him I have had my family taken away from me out of anger which is another story in its self. Our family is not of that sort. Our family never hates that much to destroy others lives. Whenever you meet a Gibbins,  know that we are real people and have good hearts. We help people in need and never put down others. This is my name and I am proud of it.





      White Wolf

There was a boy who did his quest,
days and nights without rest.
And became a member of the Wolf Clan,
Known as White Dog, and now a man.

His heart was true, and unafraid.
Snakes ran from where his feet laid.
In his eyes the Eagle watched.
In his heart , life never stopped.

But far from home, he lost his sight,
but because of the wolf, he would always fight.
His eyes grew dim, because the eagle had left.
In his heart, he now had no rest.

Finally the Great Spirit looked down on him,
and saw the purity that still was within.
He gave back the Eagle, and the heart that was soft,
and said, White Dog, you are now  named White Wolf.

  S A Gibbins  5-24-05  It was my pleasure to meet you Roy
© Copyright 2008 BEAR (grzzbrdover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462047-White-Wolf