*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462530-The-Truth-about-Valentines-Day
Rated: · Monologue · Comedy · #1462530
The Truth about Valentines Day seen through the eyes of a single young female.
Valantine's Day.


If there is one thing in this world that I detest above all it is Valentine's Day.
It's fictional day created by Hallmark where balloons and cards fill every shop you walk into. All with messages that would make even the strongest of stomachs churn. Next year I expect to walk into a hardware store to buy a spanner and staring at me would be a drill covered in ghastly pastel pink hearts and a furry handle with the tagline 'something special for your lover' I think I might have to shoot myself, right there in the middle of the shop.

I would not even protest if Valentine's Day started and finished on February the fourteenth, that is only one day to bear. However, around the middle of January the pink heart shaped cushions, stuffed bears holding roses and specially themed chocolates begin to creep in, slowly at first like a ready to pounce tiger watching for the weakest antelope and before we know it, the first of February the teeth are sank into our necks and we are surrounded by the disgustingly tackiness that is the 'day of love'.

Girls giggle and screech together comparing what they have received from their other half, constantly trying to beat the other on the money spent, the victor of this strange game can walk away feeling smug that they are worth more than her peers.
They are thrilled when they receive a six foot cuddly puppy with a collar that states 'I wuv you!' from their partner, but you know will be in a box ready for the car boot sale the weekend after.

Sitting in a restaurant on February the fourteenth is a disgusting sight couples leaning in, holding hands, whispering sweet nothings and kissing like teenagers. When you know the next day at work she will be bitching to her friends about how he doesn't listen or understand her, and he will be in the pub pushing his luck, telling his friends how she does not satisfy his needs and how she has got fat and developed wrinkles.

If you are single on Valentine's day the pressure is horrific, it is a race to find somebody to share a dessert with in a restaurant, or to see some sickly sweet romantic comedy in the cinema. Those alone on this day are seen as either lepers or closet lesbians.

Now do not get me wrong, I am not at all anti-relationship or anti-men by any stretch of the imagination. This is not a crusade against all couples, because I am lonely or bitter. However, is it really valid that on one day that issues in a relationship are forced to be suddenly and miraculously forgotten because of course, on this day everything must seem to be perfect.

Society today is stressful enough for both men and women, without the looming pressure that comes with the dreaded day. So I say, let’s start a revolution against cupid and St. Valentine and replace the day with February the Fourteenth, just another regular day.
© Copyright 2008 VCJenkins (vcjenkins at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1462530-The-Truth-about-Valentines-Day