*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463058-Coastal-Nights
Rated: 13+ · Other · Biographical · #1463058
Memories from my childhood
                                          COASTAL NIGHTS


         As a child my grandparents had a cottage on Core Sound just before the bridge to Harker’s Island. Next door to my grandparents place my Aunt and Uncle had their place. On either side of the cottages were woods and in front were marsh and the sound. My parents were teachers so every summer when school got out they would take us to our grandparents for the summer. This happened every summer until I was almost 16 years old.

         I have fond memories of warm nights along the coast, the smell of salt air and honeysuckle filling the night air, sitting on the porch in a rocking chair listening to the water lap on the beach and crickets singing. I remember quietly listening to the older folks talking softly about the weather and if the fishing would be good the next day. Family stories from long ago, about people that I never knew, being handed down from one generation to the next. These are the memories I have as a child spending my summers on the coast. Learning about nature and respecting Mother Ocean from my grandfather. Warm breezes would drift through the screened in porch as we talked about life and family history. These are the things that I think about when the cold north wind blows and the snow is on the ground. These were the times when life was simple and anything seemed possible. These are the kind of memories that I wanted my kids to have. Fortunately I was able to give them some summers at the coast. Taking them out at night on a low tide with lanterns to gig for flounders and see the different life forms that come out at night, just as my grandfather had done with me. I hope that they will keep these memories and look back on them as fondly as I do. Hopefully I will be able to do these things with my grandchildren too. To be able to pass along family history and teach them about the water and the wonderful things you can learn sitting quietly and listening to the older family members.

We forget about the simple things we can do to make us happy. If you have children, think back to what really made you happy and what memories you cherish the most with your family, and try to do this with your kids. They may not appreciate it at the time, but later, when they are older they will realize what you were trying to do. To this day I still long for a rocking chair, the smell of salt air, and the sound of waves gently lapping the beach. Some things have no price tag and are timeless.
© Copyright 2008 SuthernGent (dwjoyner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463058-Coastal-Nights