*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463579-Circulating-Chapter-3
by onaya3
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Supernatural · #1463579
Sally 'Sees' The Light, Sophie 'Sees' What Sally 'Sees' and Elisha Leaves School

TO: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
FROM: s_parson@snailmail.com
SUBJECT: You wouldn’t believe what I saw!
DATE: 21/ 05/ 03

Elisha,

Today I had a vision through time! I saw into the past! I saw something in the past!

I mean, this has never happened to me before, but it’s happened to me now. That’s why I left you all back at College. After that infamous night in the teachers conference room, I thought to myself, “this place is fucked, they’re wrong about me. I can’t do any of these things that they’re bloody going on about!” And then when you and Peter and Zack and Nelson were all trading stories on how you all have seen things back in time when you were kids; I thought I definitely didn’t belong there! But now I know that I have the ability as well.

Shite! I can’t believe this has only just happened to me now! I know you can do all of this; if this happened to you, you wouldn’t be spun out about it. But it’s never happened to me before.

What happened was, for Josh’s research we drove down south to look at a couple of old castles for his paper on Tudor Warfare. I went to go and help him and have a romantic week away. When we were in Knole which is in Kent, exploring the old castle, it happened! We became separated for a little while as he looked around the outside of the grounds and I wanted to see inside of the place.

I looked out one of the windows at a section of the grounds to see if I could see Josh. That’s when it happened - I saw into the past! The view I saw through the window, was not a car park next to a garden. Within a matter of moments, everything changed so I wasn’t even seeing the grounds in my century!

There on the lawns before me, were all these people wearing Tudor clothing. There were so many people here, like it some kind of fair or celebration. There was a wooden grand stand set up, with a joust going on in front of it! I kid you not - there were men in armour riding up and down with those long lances! And I saw one get completely smashed off his horse and all the crowds stand up and cheer!

I didn’t hear the cheering though, actually I didn’t hear anything at all. I just saw all of this… I watched the people stand up and clap and cheer while I didn’t hear a single sound. And it was a sunny day down there, which was weird for when I first came inside, it had started to rain! But then magically just as I was considering this, the clouds took away the sun light. Next I saw it start to pour down with rain, with everyone and everything fading away into a wall of water.

Just like that it was gone! One minute I was looking on a joust, the next I wasn’t. Then through the wet haze, the view of the car park came back again…

Elisha, is what I saw normal? I mean, normal in the way of seeing through time, that is? Did I actually have a vision, or was it a naturally occurring time warp? And if it was, then how come Josh didn’t see it? When he came inside to take cover from the pouring rain, he said he WAS in that section of the garden I was looking at! And he said he didn’t see anything out of the usual!

Does all of this mean I’m going to start seeing things on a regular basis now?

============================================================

TO: s_parson@snailmail.com
FROM: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
SUBJECT: Congrats in Joining Club Circulate!
DATE: 22/ 05/ 03

Sally,

I never knew the reason why you left this College was because you felt left out at having never experienced all this before!

Why hadn’t you said before about any of this? Now I can understand why you felt you had to leave. I had even wondered if the reason why was because you thought we were all nuts, me especially, and you had to get away because of that!

Let me be the first to congratulate you on joining club Circulate. Your new membership pack should be in the mail and please feel free to use our complimentary spa package! LoL - I wish!

That sounds like such a cool thing for you to have seen. I wish I could have been there! Did you tell Josh what you saw, or did you just ask him if he saw anything strange? How well do you know him? Do you think you could trust him with the knowledge about your ability, and your association with people such as ourselves? Just be careful, OK?

Isn’t it ironic that you finally have your first vision after leaving Hamilton’s College? So maybe you were right in your email, that these things happen by their own accord, in their own time. Damn it! The teachers were right! This happened because you left college, found out stuff on Guy for me, and met Josh while doing more research on Guy. Then you do your trip with Josh and see all of this? Spooky…

So I guess in answering your question… yeah. I’d say it was definitely a vision. If it was a time warp, then I’m sure Josh would have seen something, being in that area of the garden at the same time.

Congrats again!

============================================================

21st May, 2003

Elisha Baker
c/o Hamilton’s College
GPO Box 1001
Brownsville
Ontario Canada

The little White Rabbit was just in time to reach the Queen’s court. There it held all its splendor. Its watch was right. The cards were stacked correctly. Jousting was the entertainment for the day.

But Alice was too late. The Cheshire Cat took too long. She couldn’t interpret the clues the cat had given her. Will Alice lose her head?

P.S.

The Evil Stepmother knows you know. Be careful. She’s watching you in her magic mirror.


============================================================

26/ 05/ 03

Diary,

Holy shit. The above is the letter I finally received from Sophie. At long last after over a year and three attempts to contact her, she finally replies. And just look at the first paragraph…

Sophie saw Sally seeing through time! It seems she even saw what Sally saw! Sophie knew that Sally saw a jousting tournament! She called Sally the White Rabbit! And look at the date on top of the letter! It’s dated the same day that Sally had her vision!

Sophie ‘saw’ Sally having her first vision in time was the turning point to make Sophie contact me! Sally was the turning point, which made Sophie write to me because she knows Sally and I are good friends! How freaky is that?!

What Brett and Professor Hamilton have been telling me all this time finally makes sense! Everything happens for a reason, in its own time. You can’t rush straight towards the ending, because the events leading to the end have to be set in motion. These temporal causalities are manifesting themselves before my eyes! They’re like stepping stones that are appearing in the time stream…

1. We learn we can see through and manipulate time.
2. Sally leaves Hamilton’s College because she’s never had a vision in time; as Sophie leaves from her schizophrenia which is probably caused from visions through time.
3. I go on my first excursion through time and meet Guy
4. Sally back in England gives me the date Guy dies.
5. I run away from school to save Guy’s life and phase for the first time on my own.
6. I’m not kicked out but I am allowed to see Guy again, however we break up.
7. With Professor H. and Dr. K we save Guy’s life a 2nd time, thanks to the info Sally sends.
8. Brett gives me the clues he and Sophie use before he turns into Lucas and leaves.
9. Using my feelings for Guy, I instantaneously phase almost like I did in the gardens of Versailles when I saw Guy.
10. Sally researches more stuff on Guy and meets Josh while researching.
11. Sally goes on a trip with Josh and has her first vision in time.
12. I finally hear from Sophie, who saw Sally’s vision.

My affair with Guy is tied into this in so many ways! No wonder the teachers let me have my way! I thought it was just favouritism because of my future in the Circulate. But it’s not… they knew he was an event leading to another series of events, to head to this outcome!

The only other problem is, who is Alice meant to represent? Or the Cheshire Cat? Am I Alice? And who is the Evil Stepmother, who knows that I know? What do I know? I’m guessing the magic mirror implies our ability to see through time.

Bloody hell… is there another set of stepping stones across the stream of time that I have to find?

===============================================

27/ 05/ 03

Diary,

Lately I’ve been lying around the Rec Room in the Dorms with Nelson, Pat, Peter, Zack, Maya and Raj, watching some videos with them. We managed to score some chips and soda from the Cafeteria, but I’m not really that hungry. Any other time I might have stuffed my face with the rest of them. It’s been a week since exams have ended and we’ve had that week off from class, but I’m still on edge.

I think we have a few classes this week, but that’s just to get our results back from Exams. The Juniors still have class though – sucked in to them! Tee hee! We’ve been permitted to go into Brownsville twice a week instead of just weekends, so we can keep renting out videos. With this, everyone seems happy to just put their feet up and chill.

But my mind has been too preoccupied with everything that’s been going on with Sally and Sophie; I haven’t told these guys about it yet. I don’t want to worry them or be the wet blanket on their enlightened moods.

To be honest, I don’t know what to tell anyone. I haven’t even emailed Sally yet about Sophie’s letter. I don’t know what to tell her, or if it will scare her off again. I feel like I need to gather more information.

The reason why is because another thought has crept into my mind. I’ve been wondering if what Dr. Myles said to me recently about killing people is related to the Evil Stepmother in Sophie’s letter?

“OK, it’s your turn.” Nelson suddenly kicked my foot with hers.

We were sharing the same couch as poor Pat sat by himself on a one-seater on the other side of the room next to Peter.

“What?” I was shaken out of my reverie.

“Maya’s video’s just finished. Put yours on.” Nelson rolled her eyes at my vague behaviour.

“Actually, you know what? I don’t feel like watching it right now. Put on yours.” I stood up to leave.

“You kicked and screamed in the video store to watch your beloved Matthew McConaughey movie.” Nelson gave me a funny look for my change of heart.

“And after watching it I’m sure I’ll do some more pleasant kicking and screaming in my dreams. But not right now.” I tried to joke.

Nelson watched me curiously as I headed for the stairs to go up to my room.

“Thank God that smell is gone.” I heard Peter say when I was half way up to the first floor.

“You’re a slow learner mate.” I heard Pat reply.

It was the first thing I’ve heard Peter say since our infamous altercation. I was tempted to turn come back down, but I thought I should learn from my past experience and rise above it. So I kept on going...

I may have gone to my room, but I didn’t stay there. I instantaneously phased to Circulate HQ. I had this feeling that I needed to be there. And when I reformed onto the platform of the Gate, I immediately saw why.

Through the glass sliding doors, I saw Purto, wearing Incan costume; staring through the glass wall out at the Mars horizon.

Instead of greeting the Gate operator, I walked right past him, through the sliding doors, until I came to stand beside Purto.

There were so many questions just waiting to burst out, but I thought I should try a friendly tact. So I made a joke about his appearance. “Hey, how come Incan’s have fringes, but you don’t?”

“Because I come from another tribe.” Purto looked away from the view long enough to give me a small smile.

“Where do you come from then?” I asked politely.

“I am from Chan Chan, formerly of the Chimu people.” Purto said in a casual voice, looking back out. “They were also powerful once, before being defeated by the Incas.”

“Then how do you know so much about the Incan people? You don’t act like you harbour any ill will towards them.” I speculated.

“When I was borne, the Chimu lost the war many years before.” Purto turned around to explain in more detail. “My father was an important man in my city, so when I was 6 years old, I was taken to live in Cuzco. There I lived in comfort and was educated to be an administrator. Most of my childhood years were spent amongst the Incan people, and I am knowledgeable in their ways.”

“Really?” I asked, further surprised. “Did you hate the way your father just sent you away like that?”

I thought I could empathize with this experience, given my own.

“He had no choice. Because I was the son of an important administrator, the Incan ruler would take the Chieftan’s or Administrator’s sons away to be educated in the Incan tradition. There they were held in the capital city, just in case one day our fathers or relatives did revolt. We were well educated and provided for, but we were also political hostages.”

“You’re kidding!” my eyes widened in horror.

“The other advantage to the Inca in this arrangement was, if we ever we were returned to our homes; when we came into power, we would then rule in the Incan tradition.” Purto shrugged, showing he held no grudges of the experience. “This way, they were also setting up a political network.”

This made me curious about something else about him.

“Which tribe is your tattoo from? It’s not Incan, is it? Or from Chan Chan?”

“No, this marking was made when I spent some years with a completely different tribe of Northern Native Americans.” He smiled mysteriously, saying no more than that.

“So you’ve traveled around a bit, then?” I pried.

“You would be surprised at what I’ve seen, and where I have been.” He kept smiling. “And not all of these places have been on Earth.”

“Really? You mean, here at Headquarters on Mars?” I shrugged, thinking it was nothing special.

“No.”

“Then where?”

“Elisha Baker, why don’t you ask me the questions you came here to ask, rather than the ones that are not important to you in this period of time.” He grinned in good humor.

“What do you know about Sophie Wilmont?” I went straight to the point.

“I know the same facts as you do; that you and she will be one of four of our strongest Circulators in our tribe.” He started to walk away.

“Is that it? Do you know when? Who lets her out of the loony bin? Who trains her? When does she get trained?” I followed after him.

“You know this.” He replied, still casually.

I stopped walking. “Brett – sorry - Lucas, said I might be the one who breaks through to her. How will I know when the time is right? And if I did use my instantaneous phasing ability to bring her back here, would she be alright?” I pestered.

I thought he was being a bit rude by keeping on walking away; that I stopped walking behind thinking he was giving me the cold shoulder

“Walk with me,” was all he said.

Bloody hell… All the bloody rings and hoops I have to jump through to get any bloody answers from these people… Lucky for them it’s me doing the nagging and not Nelson. I doubt she would have had patience for all this cryptic crap. Actually, now that I come to think of it, nor did I.

“Only if you give me some real answers! Because quite frankly I think you, Professor Hamilton, Dr. Myles and even your precious little Lead Councilman Lucas Hodge have all been bloody rude! I wanted to talk to you to see if I could make some sense of the situation, not be given anymore stupid clues! This is not an infernal game of Cluedo! I don’t care about pipes or poison in the Library that leads to the events of A, B & C! This is important!”

I stood my ground, as the few people who passed by looked on in surprise. I doubt they have had many shouting matches here. I guess that it would have been deemed another bad fault of Mankind which they would not wish to copy.

Purto didn’t look angry or embarrassed, in fact, his expression was neutral.

“Elisha Baker, I can tell you what event A is. But if you change it, then it will change event B, and it will then alter the outcome of C. If I told you when and where event B is, you would not have observed event A, so therefore event C will not be the outcome that you desired. I’m not sure of what you ask of me, or even what you ask of yourself. What vital information is missing from your understanding? It appears to me that the knowledge is at your disposal, just not the virtue of patience.” He spoke softly.

He talked as he walked back towards me with his hands behind him.

“OK. Sophie has made contact with me. Is she ready to be trained like I was?” I asked him in a calmer voice.

“Do you think she is ready?” he queried.

“I don’t know!” I said between gritted teeth, my patience on tenter hooks. “That’s why I want some answers!”

“Very well. Walk with me.” He turned around again and began walking speedily away, this time not waiting for me to catch up.

I had to hurry to keep in step with him. I followed Purto into another room inside of the centre of Circulate Headquarters that I’d never seen before.

This room looked almost identical to the Gate Room, as it had a huge circular mirror on the centre of the floor. But instead of another circular mirror above it, attached to the ceiling there was an upside down, huge three-sided crystal pyramid.

Seated around this spectacle, were three Calculators operating touch-screen crystallized computer screens. On the three sides of the pyramid, were images showing different parts of planet Earth during different time frames.

One time frame was of Victorian London, with horses drawn carriages going down the gas-lit lamp-lined, cobbled streets. The other side of the pyramid was of a battle scene where the soldiers were wearing Roman Soldier’s uniforms, fighting against other people wearing more barbaric costume with blue paint on their faces. The third scene was an elaborate religious ceremony happening on the top of a temple that I recognized had Southern Asian features.

“Greetings. I need to show Elisha Baker a particular Circulator on the Viewing Screen. May we please see the time frame of 9 PM, the 27th May, 2005 AD, Riverview Psychiatric Hospital, Chicago.” Purto greeted all three Calculators.

I thought it was interesting that Purto knew where to find Sophie; and then I thought it strange how the Calculators didn’t even have trouble finding exactly where in the hospital Sophie was being kept.

They easily zoomed in, with the images on the sides of the pyramid now showing a single-bedded white room, with a heavily locked door and even bars on the window. A very disheveled looking Sophie was seen; showing her frightened face, peering out of her matted, dirty, blonde hair. She wasn’t sitting on her bed but instead she was crouched in the corner of her small room.

I have to admit, I instantly felt sorry for her… Seeing her, sitting there like that? She looked like a cornered animal which made my heart hurt. I wanted to phase through that crystal pyramid and go to her. I wanted to comfort her. She looked completely miserable, alone, and even worse - scared out of her wits.

“Look at her! We have to help her! I have to get her out!” I blurted out.

I started to walk forwards to do this, but Purto caught my arm.

“Wait… watch.” He nodded towards the pyramid again.

Just then Sophie’s wide eyes looked right in our direction; like we were watching her through a camera which she could see. Her eyes almost seemed to pop out of her skull! She knew exactly where to look and I swear, it was as if our eyes actually met and held!

A tense silence befell the room as both Sophie and I looked on each other in shock.

“Can she see us?” I uttered out.

“She can sense us. She cannot see us, but she can feel our presence.” Purto said quietly.

Suddenly Sophie started screaming and flailing her arms! She jumped up and ran to her barred window, as if she was desperate to escape! She rattled the bars, before launching herself on the locked door!

She screamed terrified, “they’re here! They’re here! I won’t go! I won’t!”

She completely went berserk! She kept pounding the doors, as if her tiny frame could be used against the thick wood. She made such a commotion, that she attracted the attention of the hospital’s staff.

“End the image!” Purto barked out at the Calculators.

Just as two orderlies and a nurse carrying an injection, unlocked her door to sedate her; the image changed.

It was replaced by the three previous images the Calculators had been studying when we arrived.

“What happened?” I gaped at Purto.

“We cannot observe Sophie for too long; as she can sense the presence of our technology that aids us to see through time and space. Since she has left Hamilton’s College, her mental stability has slid further and further away from reality. If you were thinking of ‘liberating’ her from the hospital in your time frame, I think you should question your decision. She wants nothing to do with the Circulate.” Purto informed.

“Well you could have just told me this instead of making her go through all of that!” I snapped.

“Would you have believed me?” he raised his eyebrows knowingly.

I didn’t answer him. My eyes skipped away almost guiltily, as I contemplated this. Purto turned to leave but I followed him out.

“How did that device focus on Sophie so quickly?” I demanded.

“It can lock on all of our Circulators and Calculators, no matter their location or time. It has been designed to be able to lock on to our different bio-electromagnetic frequencies.” He answered, not stopping.

“Our different bio-electromagnetic frequency?” I grabbed his arm to make him stand still.

“Yes. It is how we can turn to light, but the other humans cannot.” Purto said plainly.

“Then what about Calculators?”

“They also have heightened bio-electromagnetic frequencies. But their gift to calculate time is from their heightened frontal lobe activity in their brains.”

Then Purto put his hand over mine, which was still holding onto his arm.

He spoke again, “Elisha Baker, I have answered the questions that needed answering in this point of your time. Now I must go.”

I finally released my hold on his arm.

“Thank you.” I said in a disappointed voice.

“We will talk again soon, I promise.” His voice dropped, almost conspiratorially.

I watched him bid me farewell by a nod, and then he disappeared down another corridor.

Shit… one small question answered, one bigger one remaining.

I sighed to let out my resignation; but then instead of returning to the Gate, I instantaneously phased myself back to my Dorm room.

===============================================

28/ 05/ 03

Diary,

I thought I’d risk it… Over breakfast this morning I told Nelson, Pat, Zack, Peter, Maya and Raj all I’ve learnt so far about Sally’s vision and Sophie’s letter. I also told them about yesterday’s trip to HQ.

I think I got all of their attention, because even Peter kept his mouth shut. But Maya was very curious about the part with the mention of a different planet that wasn’t either Earth or Mars.

“I guess in the future, human’s will one day establish other colonies on other worlds, or perhaps, make contact with another species living far away.” Maya said intrigued.

Just as she said that, she reminded me of what Lucas told me the very first time I saw Circulate Headquarters.

“You know what? Lucas - slash - Brett said something along these lines. He said that the Circulate was setting up another base camp on another planet somewhere.” I remembered.

“Really?” Maya queried. “Do you remember where?”

“No…” I struggled to remember. “…I think he said somewhere on the other side of this galaxy.”

“Have you ever seen it?” Nelson asked next.

“No. But when I have training with Dr. Myles tonight, I’ll certainly ask.”

“I’d be interested to know more about it.” Zack nodded in agreement.

“Maybe it figures in somehow.” Pat shrugged.

“What? The planet we’re setting up a 2nd base camp on is related to ‘Alice in Wonderland’? Can I expect to get my head bitten off by aliens?” I almost laughed.

“Now that would be symbolic.” Nelson smirked.

After dinner that evening, I phased to Circulate Headquarters for my self defense class with Dr. Myles.

Tonight I tried particularly hard to impress him so I might win him over and win the juicy details as my reward.

During my fencing class, we were through with just the simple deflecting and parrying; he was full-on attacking and I had to defend myself and go into phase, letting the sword go straight through me otherwise I’d be shish-kebab. As you can imagine, my heart was pounding and my adrenaline was pumping hard.

But also like last time, I went all glowy as I sped up my movements. I felt like I was faster than him; faster than all of this. I could see his moves before he even made them.

This easy advantage even helped me to nick his hand with my blade and send his weapon flying to the ground.

“Very good.” Dr. Myles congratulated, stepping back and nursing his injury.

I slowed down to normal time again. My skin went from luminescent back to its normal colour. But I was still panting hard, trying to catch my breath. I guess it would take me a little while longer to get used to all of this.

“Tell me Elisha, what happens to you in the stage before you phase?” Dr. Myles asked.

“What do you mean?” I puffed, still trying to regulate my breathing.

“When your skin glows and your body changes; I can see that you prefer to stay in that stage to fight, when you don’t simply go into phase.” Dr. Myles continued.

“I don’t know…” I tried to put it into words. “…I feel like I’m faster than you. Like, you’re moving in slow motion so I can see and anticipate what you’re going to do.”

“Excellent.” He nodded. “Do you know what this means?”

I shook my head, completely clueless.

“You are operating in a different time contingent than I am. Do you understand what I’m saying here?”

“Kind of. While my body speeds up, going into its own time, it’s why everything around me seems slower.” I answered.

“Very good. Do you remember how certain members of the Circulate can either slow down or speed up their aging process? Like Lucas Hodge?”

I nodded.

“It’s exactly the same thing. If you concentrated harder, I believe you could do the same. Or even if you didn’t alter your appearance, you would use the same principle. How members of the Circulate can slow down their aging process… it’s also using the same technique.” Dr. Myles announced.

“Really?” I replied in surprise.

Wow! I’m half a step closer than I ever thought to be, in manipulating my aging process! Well that answers that question, how I used to wonder how I might stay at a certain age should I want to. Maybe I won’t have to buy anymore ‘Oil of Olay’ from the Brownsville General store when I do my monthly shop for toiletries – LoL!

While Dr. Myles was in an informative mood, I thought I’d use this information exchange to ask him my other questions.

I followed him over to the side of the room as he wrapped up his injured hand in a towel.

“Are you OK? I tried to make it a smaller cut as possible.” I apologised.

“No need to say sorry. You did exactly what I wanted you to do. You disarmed your opponent.” He shrugged. “I can easily visit the medical lab and have this taken care of.”

“Dr. Myles, can I ask you another question?”

“You may.”

“When I first came here, during my first year at Hamilton’s College, Lucas Hodge told me they were constructing another Base Camp for the Circulate on another planet. Is this true?”

“That’s correct.”

“Has it been finished being built?”

“Not yet.”

“Can I see it?” I asked him hopeful.

“The planet does have an oxygen atmosphere but the gravity is unstable. Until construction is completed, with artificial gravity generators operational, it would be unwise for any young member of the Circulate to see it as yet.” Dr. Myles stated.

“Have you seen it?” I asked out of interest.

“I have.”

“What’s it like?” I followed him out of the self-defense classroom.

Together we walked down the corridors in our sweaty work-out clothes, past immaculately groomed people in their futuristic clothing.

“It has H20 and vegetation similar to Earth, but the gravity fluctuations are linked to the severe plasma storms that occur in the planet’s atmosphere.” Dr. Myles advised, while we walked. “These plasma storms are caused from the nebula that the planet is situated in. It took a while for our best minds in our organization to find a way to settle safely on this world. We wanted it because it offers the best defensive capabilities.”

“Defensive capabilities?” I echoed in further surprise. “Why are we worrying about how to defend ourselves?”

Here Dr. Myles stopped abruptly as he turned my way.

“Now that is something else that doesn’t concern you as yet, Elisha. I am now going to visit the medical lab, and you are going to keep on walking to the Gate. I’ll see you at school.”

With that, he turned and left, leaving me standing there, still surprised.

I wonder how bloody long I’ll have to wait until they all stop dropping these innuendos and just tell me what the hell is going on? And what about his little lecture on killing people? And the way he was happy that I drew blood tonight?

Hmmm, defensive capabilities… maybe Pat was right. Maybe this new planet was something I was going to have to keep an eye on. Is it a clue? Or is there a clue on the planet? Am I Alice who can’t interpret the clues so I’m going to lose my head? Is that why they’re trying to prepare me? I just wish I knew what was going on!

============================================================

TO: s_parson@snailmail.com
FROM: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
SUBJECT: Life and other catastrophes
DATE: 31/ 05/ 03

Hey Sally,

It’s pretty quiet here at school today. Nearly everyone has gone into Brownsville for ‘Brown Day’. I didn’t feel like seeing any movies in the small cinema or eating any hamburgers in the Diner today. I wanted to email you instead.

First of all, we all got our results back. Dad will be happy that my marks were all over 85%, including for Math and Science. I’m not as happy as I thought I would be. I guess because there’s so much going on. I hope you read this seated in the privacy of your own bedroom and not in an Internet CafĂ© or anything.

I finally heard from Sophie. Yep, I got a letter from her earlier on in the week. Now, you’re going to freak out when I tell you what she said… You know how we were talking about how things happen for a reason? Well, Sophie’s letter ties into that big time!

First of all, her letter was dated the day you saw your vision. And guess what she says in her first paragraph…

The little White Rabbit was just in time to reach the Queen’s court. There it held all it’s splendor. It’s clock was right. The cards were stacked correctly. Jousting was the entertainment for the day.

Sophie saw your vision in time! You were the turning point in Sophie finally contacting me. You both left Hamilton’s the same day, you and I keep in contact, and then when I try to make contact with Sophie, it’s because she sees what you see. And how do you see all this? Because you meet a guy named Josh when researching Guy stuff for me!

It all ties in with setting up events to lead to a certain outcome, doesn’t it?

Sally, I don’t know if I ever told you about everything Lucas Hodge said when I first met him; the first time I went to Circulate Headquarters. He mentioned briefly that the Circulate was constructing another base camp on another planet on the other side of the galaxy. What made me think of this was because I met another Circulator called Purto which I think I did mention to you before. Anyway, he said he’s seen amazing things, not on this planet, and not on Mars either. So I wondered if he had been to the other planet they’re building the base camp on.

After my self defense class with Dr. Myles yesterday, I asked him about it last night. He said it was very similar to earth, but has fluctuating gravity due to severe plasma storms, due to the planet being inside a nebula. He let it slip that the Circulate chose to colonize this planet for its excellent defensive position.

That made me wonder, what and who do we need to protect ourselves from? But Dr. Myles wouldn’t tell me anything else (typical!). And this brings us to what else Sophie said in her letter to me.

But Alice was too late. The Cheshire Cat took too long. She couldn’t interpret the clues the cat had given her. Will Alice lose her head?

P.S.

The Evil Stepmother knows you know. Be careful. She’s watching you.

What is Sophie warning me about? Who is the enemy? What is she trying to tell me? Do I need to be on my guard? Who do I have to look out for? I’m glad I’ve got you Sally to help me with all of this. Maybe your next vision in time could be another clue? Let me know as soon as you see anything else, OK?

============================================================

TO: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
FROM: s_parson@snailmail.com
SUBJECT: That is so freaky!
DATE: 02/ 06/ 03

You’re right Elisha, that is freaky! The clues are coming so quickly and unexpectedly, we’re going to have to keep our eyes open. There’s so much going on at the moment, and it’s not just about which Universities we’re applying for.

When my Dad last night started giving me another speech over the dinner table last night on how I should be preparing myself for the future, I almost burst out laughing!

He and Mum think I should slow down my relationship with Josh and not let it cloud my thinking of the future… You know, how I should take my upcoming studies seriously and not let this scholarship slip by. If they even had an inkling of why I left Hamilton’s, and the sort of things you can do – they’d drop dead from the shock! They see the future as in the short term, like getting the best grades, graduating with Honours, and getting the top job.

They have no idea about the bigger picture. I think if yours and my life were a painting in an art gallery and they were standing in front of it, it would be so big that they could only see a corner of the picture and not the whole thing. Their perspectives are that small and concentrated, they wouldn’t even dream about standing further away to try and take in the whole picture of what our lives are now.

So getting away from all of this now, what are you guys going to do during the 3 month break before semester begins at Cambridge? Are you going to go home to Australia? Maybe you could come and visit me here in Scotland for a week or two before semester begins? Then you and I can enroll together and settle in at College at the same time if you like? The invitation’s there if you would like to use it.

I think you’ll really like Josh. He’s interested in the supernatural. I told him what I saw, but I didn’t tell him about you or the Circulate – I promise. He thinks what I saw was just a random haunting or something as such.

He said that’s why he became a history student in the first place, so he could learn all about the past from his interest as a kid, hearing about all the haunted houses and castles here in the UK. He said he liked to investigate who the person was, why they would haunt a particular house and find out about their life and such as if he could try to get inside their head and see why they would choose to remain as a spirit, attached to an era that has passed. Doesn’t that sound so romantic?

He is such a great guy… I am so in love with him! So far he’s bought me two bunches of flowers, taken me on a week away with him, and has introduced me to his parents.

I think we’re pretty serious… am I rushing things, do you think? I don’t care. I suppose Nelson would say I am, but this guy is fantastic.

============================================================

TO: s_parson@snailmail.com
FROM: ebaker_hamiltons@evers.com
SUBJECT: Holidays
DATE: 04/ 06/ 03

Sally,

Yep, holidays are officially starting next week. A lot of us will be splitting up. I will be going home for a month to spend time with Dad, Mark and Jenny.

I’ve been pretty slack of late with my phone calls and emails home. I guess I owe it to them to catch up and do the family thing.

Zack, Nelson, Pat and Peter will go to Circulate Headquarters to do some extra training for 3 months, along with most of the rest of our year. After my first month of holidays with Dad and Mark, I’ll go to Circulate Headquarters to spend nearly two months there to do more training.

Afterwards, we four will get to go to London and stay in a Circulate sanctioned ‘safe house’ for a week before being taken on to Cambridge.

We’ll have the house to ourselves for a week and will be able to do what ever we want to do! We’ll go clubbing, that’s for sure! Peter, who I guess will probably be staying with his parents, will probably meet up with us there, unfortunately. So if you want to come and join us in London for a week, please feel free. I’m sure the guys won’t mind if Josh came too.

Interested?

============================================================

07/ 06/ 03

Diary,

I packed up my room yesterday. I have managed to fit into two suitcases and two boxes, my past three years at Hamilton’s College. My walls are now totally bare, my room is like a skeleton with all life being stripped from it.

Then this morning after I got dressed, I stripped the bed of my sheets, pillow and quilt and then packed those too. I went over to breakfast in the Caf with Pat, Nelson and Zack as my last breakfast at Hamilton’s College with my group of friends.

As I lined up and then asked the server for my typical bacon and eggs, I looked past through to the kitchen. The kitchen, where on more than one occasion I had detention of sanitizing dishes…

I walked past the numerous tables and sat down, in between Zack and Nelson, with Pat sitting beside her. I slowly began to pick at my food, not having much of an appetite.

“Are you OK?” Zack noticed my unusual eating habit.

Usually I could almost scoff a meal down almost as fast as he or Peter! But I looked away to glance around instead, at the other familiar faces that I had become accustomed to.

Maya, Raj, Soong, Wong, Jordon, Numu and Peter were sitting at one table… Yuichi, Giselle, Darrianne, Rosa, Jose and Paulo were sitting at another.

Everyone was subdued today, I noticed. I wasn’t the only person hopping on a minibus and being driven to the airport today. I believe Maya, Raj, Jordon, Giselle, Rosa and Jose were also flying back to their homes, also for a month before also joining all of us at Circulate Headquarters.

“Yeah… I’m just feeling a little nostalgic.” I sighed, looking back. “This place has really come to feel like home, you know.”

“Yeah, I feel the same way.” Zack nodded, also taking a look about himself. “But look on the bright side. You’ll only be with your family for a month in Australia. Then you’ll be back with us again before you start at Cambridge.”

“Yeah.” I sighed and then smiled. “So when do you three go to Circulate Headquarters?”

“Tomorrow.” Pat answered.

“You guys must be looking forward to it.” I commented.

“Yeah well, we’ve never seen it before unlike some.” Nelson replied, taking a stab at my traveling habits.

I’ve been there multiple times and Zack just a couple, during our Circulators class or other business with the Circulate.

“It’s cool, you’ll like it. It’s in a glass dome, and the Martian country side is beautiful. Inside it’s very futuristic looking with the most amazing technology.” I tried to bring them up to speed.

The topic of technology pique Pat’s interest.

“Tell me more about the technology.” He requested. “What are the computers like?”

Nelson snorted and then rolled her eyes at him. “Typical.”

We all looked at her in surprise.

“What?” I wondered what was her problem?

“That’s all you ever care about, isn’t it, Pat? The technology.” She said coldly.

“Yeah well, at least I even know how to care.” He retorted.

Nelson stood up and walked out, leaving us and her breakfast behind to presumably go back to her room in the Dorms.

“What was all that about?” Zack asked Pat.

“I don’t know.” He said crankily. “If you two have a clue, I’d really appreciate it if you could pass it on. She’s just suddenly gone cold on me. I don’t even know what I’ve bloody done wrong!”

Then Pat also stood up and left, leaving Zack and I to exchange our surprised expressions.

“I thought they were such a good couple. They’d been going out for two years now.” I remarked. “I wonder what’s Nelson’s problem? Did you see the way she just dissed Pat after our Drama Monologues?”

“Maybe we shouldn’t get involved. It’s their business. What ever is happening right now is between Nelson and Pat.” Zack shifted uncomfortably and looked down at his plate of food.

Oh, this wasn’t the kind of last meal I’d imagined I’d have here at Hamilton’s College, but… oh well.

After Zack and I remained behind and finished our meals, we next headed back to the Dorms together.

Zack came and sat on my now bare mattress as I finished the last of my packing of my toiletries bag, after brushing my teeth.

I looked at my watch, it was now 9 AM… time to leave.

Zack helped carry down one of my suitcases, as I carried the other. Pat kindly came back out of his room to help carry my other two boxes down.

“I’ll see you in a month’s time on Mars.” Pat smiled before he gave me a brief hug.

“Try to have fun until then.” I smiled back.

I stood outside on the steps with Zack and Pat, wondering where the hell was Nelson? I mean, I know it’s not like this is going to be a long absence, but she could have at least come down and said good bye. I looked back at the door, wondering if I should quickly run back up and say good bye to her myself?

Just then the driver of the minibus who had been hired to take us all to the airport, beeped his horn impatiently. I was the last one to come, everyone else was inside the minibus.

Damn.

“Say good bye to the Bride of Frankenstein’s Monster for me, would you?” I joked to the two.

“Will do.” Pat gave a nod.

“See you soon Leesh.” Zack gave me one last quick hug.

Then Zack walked down the steps with me as he saw me into the van. He shut the door behind and then he stood back, reluctantly.

I sat next Jordon. I noted the minivan was pretty full, of returnees to the ‘real world’ after our magical three years at Hamilton’s School of Headcraft and Heterodoxy. Everyone wore the same expressions, bemused at the idea of briefly returning to normalcy.

I looked back and waved madly. Zack and Pat stood back on the steps, waving back as the van disappeared down the drive way. I waved and waved and didn’t stop waving until I couldn’t see them anymore.

“It’s only a month, Elisha. You’ll soon see them again.” Jordon spoke in her Egyptian accent, smiling in amusement.

I sighed wistfully as I turned to look out the window, at the passing pine forest.

~~~~~~~

I flew from Thunder Bay to Vancouver; then after a two hour stop over, I boarded my last ever flight from Vancouver to Sydney.

As usual, I didn’t sleep during my journey. I hate how I can never sleep on planes, trains or automobiles. Everyone else slumbered around me. I would have dearly loved to have just been able to close my eyes and pass out for the majority of the flight.

I picked at my airline food as I vaguely watched the in-flight entertainment. Then I gave up at trying to amuse myself with what was on offer so I put on my Walkman. I closed my eyes, sat back and reminisced on the last three years of my life.

I would be coming home not just as a High School graduate, but a fully fledged Circulator and member of the Circulate. One who can instantaneously phase through time and space, speed up her reflexes during self-defense, and a person who can have visions of things past.

I almost laughed out loud, it’s just a pity I couldn’t have these accomplishments down on my academic transcript.

~~~~~~~~

The plane landed in Sydney International Airport and I disembarked feeling tired but excited at the prospect of seeing my family again.

I went through Customs, got another stamp in my passport, picked up my luggage and then I passed through the arrivals gate.

I immediately spot Dad standing close by, and beside him was my older brother Mark and his wife Patrice.

“There she is!” Mark cried out first, as he rushed up to swamp me in a hug. “How are ya, smartie-pants?”

“Not bad, loser.” I laughed as I hugged him back. “Divorced yet?”

“Yeah yeah – laugh it up you little commitment shy rabbit!” he playfully shoved me sideways. “You just wait until it happens to you, then I’ll give you what for!”

Dad and Patrice walked up during this exchange as Dad smiled, looking a little tearful.

“How are you, Elisha?” he hugged next. “Congratulations on your fine marks and your graduation. I was so proud of you when I got your report card! And now your acceptance into Cambridge? Your mother would be very proud of you too.”

“Thanks Dad.” I squeezed him back.

“Come here you!” Patrice pulled me into another affectionate embrace. “How are you sweetie? We have lots of fun things planned for you to do with your stay in Sydney, before you have to go and get all serious again for University!”

Dad took one suitcase, Mark took another, and I wheeled the trolley with my two boxes out to the car in the airport car park. Patrice walked along side, rattling off all the things she and Mark had planned for my stay.

“This coming weekend you’re going to come up from Wollongong and stay overnight at our place in the city. On Saturday night we’ll take you clubbing. Oh, and on Sunday we’ll take you to Manly, it’s such a nice ferry ride over the harbor. I know it’s winter and too cold to go swimming at the beach, but there’s some nice restaurants and cafes where we can have lunch.”

Dad drove us into the city, rather than down to Wollongong straight away. This way we could have lunch with Mark and Patrice, before he carried me off down to Wollongong, an hour south of Sydney.

We parked in a car park on George Street and then we went and had lunch down at Darling Harbour. We sat at an outside table in one of the waterfront restaurants. It was a nice position in the sun and out of the wind, with the high rises of the city surrounding us.

“Order anything you like, Elisha.” Dad offered. “The seafood basket looks good.”

“Thanks Dad.” I smirked at how he was trying to spoil me.

A waiter came over to get our drinks order to start off with.

“I’ll have a Heinekin.” Mark requested. “And you babe?” he looked at his wife.

“I’ll have a champagne and orange juice please.” Patrice ordered.

Actually, that sounded pretty good…

“Yeah, I’ll have one too.” I told the waiter.

Dad looked up sharply in surprise, before he put down his menu. “I’ll have a Tooheys New.” He tried to order casually.

However, Mark noticed Dad’s reaction.

“Yep, our little girl is all grown up now! She’s 18 years old, turning 19 next week. And now she’s going to University.” Mark ruffled my hair.

“Lay off!” I hit his hand away as he laughed.

“I don’t think daughters really grow up in the eyes of their fathers.” Patrice smiled to Dad.

“No. I still remember when Elisha was in nappies and she first learnt how to walk.” Dad sighed. “It seems like only yesterday she was starting Preschool.”

I was about to laugh at how I remember learning how to phase for my first time just like it was only yesterday, but then I clamped my mouth shut.

My family doesn’t know about my abilities. That’s why I had to fly home, and not instantaneously phase here instead. I don’t know if I could ever tell them about all what’s happened to me, I wondered what their reactions would be? The Circulate are big on secrecy and the only time outsiders are made aware of our existence is if it’s a need to know basis only.

“So, do you have any special requests for birthday presents this year?” Patrice asked next.

“Umm…” I shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe a few more ‘X-Files’ or ‘Buffy The Vampire Slayer’ DVD’s?”

“You’re turning 19 years old and you still have your silly little fixations on TV shows.” Mark rolled his eyes.

“Well, what did you get for your last birthday Mr. Old-And-Mature?” I raised my eyebrows.

“Patrice, Dad, Aunt Gab and Uncle Pete all chipped in for a golf club set and three golfing lessons with a past NSW champion.” Mark boasted.

“Good for you!” I said sarcastically.

“No, Elisha can have anything she likes for her birthday… as long as it’s legal.” Patrice joked. “I have friends at work who are also into those TV shows. One girl has the picture of ‘Angel’ on her computer.”

“Ooh – now he IS cute, isn’t he?” I giggled to Patrice.

“No arguments there.” Patrice giggled back.

“Oh please! You still have your silly little school girl crushes on actors? When was the last time you had a real boyfriend? What was that guy’s name back at Hamilton’s College you were seeing? Jack or whatever?” Mark scoffed.

“I dated Zack two years ago. I haven’t seen anyone else since then.” I lied.

There was no way in hell I could even try to explain to my family about Guy Robertson. I could just imagine the looks on their faces and the sound of their jaws all dropping to the floor. If I told them about meeting Clive of India, saving Guy’s life and being presented on his arm to King George the 2nd? And then meeting Guy’s two grown children? It would just be too much for them – their heads would explode!

“Why don’t you go for someone obtainable? Instead of some silly crush or school girl fantasy.” Mark lectured.

I just sat there and looked at him unimpressed.

I wasn’t really angry, but it was more like I was half annoyed, and half amused. I was trying so hard not to laugh at him, and even the rest of my family for their complete cluelessness of what my life for the past 3 years has been like.

“Mark, be quiet!” Dad quipped. “I quite like the fact that your sister isn’t as boy crazy as some young girls her age.”

“Yeah, leave your sister alone Mark. She’s only been in the country for just over an hour. The way you’re carrying on, you could scare her back onto the next available flight out of here!” Patrice chastised.

“He wishes!” I retorted.

“Bitch.” My brother muttered in my direction.

“Dickhead.” I muttered back.

It wasn’t audible enough to reach Dad’s ears, but Patrice picked it up.

“I can’t believe you two are 19 and 23 years old and you both still fight like cat and dog.” She shook her head.

“I still can’t believe that you married at the age of 22.” I quipped, looking on Mark in disbelief, and then at Patrice. “And that you accepted his proposal. He’s a total loser!”

Mark reached over and poked me hard in the ribs!

“Alright you two, knock it off.” Dad smirked. “Patrice is right, you’re both too old for this nonsense now.”

I smothered my giggle at his words… how could I tell these people that the words ‘too old’ may never apply to their sister and daughter?

Mark and I shared a small smile over our ‘rousing’ but then for the remaining lunch we put on our best behavior.

~~~~~~~

After lunch, Dad and I said our farewells to Mark and Patrice before we walked back to the car park for the hour’s drive home to Wollongong.

“I was thinking we could have a quiet evening at home tonight. But tomorrow night we’ll be going to your Aunt Gabby’s for dinner. She and Jenny are looking forward to seeing you again.” Dad planned.

“Cool.” I nodded amiably.

I was looking forward to seeing them too, as well as Uncle Peter and Tina.

I was quiet during the drive home, and since Dad wasn’t much of a talker, it left a comfortable silence in the car.

When we arrived home, Dad parked the car in the garage before he carried one suitcase and I carried another into my bedroom. Then I came back out and helped him with my boxes of things. At first he was going to leave the boxes in the garage, but I told him I wanted them in my room.

“What’s in them?” Dad wondered why.

“This box has my stereo, CD’s and linen. This second box has my books, notes, school work…” I shrugged.

As well as the photocopies Sally sent me of Guy’s logs when he was an Admiral as well as the 1700’s dress with his blood on it… but I couldn’t tell Dad that. Even if the second box is never opened again, I didn’t want it to be sitting in a dirty garage gathering dust, cobwebs and perhaps turning into a new home for insects.

Dad left me alone in my bedroom to settle in. I unpacked the linen I used in Canada and my Canadian wardrobe, my CD’s, stereo and my laptop. I kept my heaviest and warmest clothes in one of the suitcases though, since Sydney winters aren’t as cold as Canadian winters and I knew I would need those clothes again at Cambridge.

Lastly, I lifted up the second box which was taped shut and put it up on the top shelf of my wardrobe. It felt weird closing the door on that part of my life. But I knew it had to be done.

When I turned my back on that subject for what I thought was for good; my eyes landed on the photos that sat on top of my dressing table.

I walked over and picked up the framed photo of Mum. It was taken just prior to the news of the cancer. She looked happy and radiant, sitting comfortably in fold-up chair in the garden. I remembered taking this photo on the camera I had received for my birthday, the camera which I also took the photos of my school friends at Hamilton’s College.

I placed the photo of my friends Zack, Pat, Nelson and even Sally before she left, sitting on the school oval; beside the photo of my Mum.

There… the most important people in my life were now sitting together. I smiled on this sight, before I frowned circumspect. I wondered what Mum would have said, if I had been able to tell her the news that I was a Circulator?

Even though I didn’t feel comfortable telling Dad this news yet, I couldn’t imagine keeping a secret this big from my Mum. She had always been my trusted confidant and advisor. She had always been so easy to talk to, with a ready laugh and a funny joke.

I heard Dad move about the kitchen, switching on the kettle to make himself a cup of coffee.

I pictured myself marching out my room, into the kitchen, squaring off my shoulders and pronouncing;

“Dad, I have to tell you something. I’m Gay. Nah, just kidding! But I am a Circulator. I was presented at court on the arm of my then fiancĂ©, Sir Guy Robertson to King George 2nd.”

Then the imaginary sound of the coffee cup slipping from Dad’s stunned hands and smashing on the kitchen tiles rang in my ears…

============================================================
© Copyright 2008 onaya3 (onaya3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463579-Circulating-Chapter-3