*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463676-The-character
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1463676
A story about what we forget
Once, in a strange world lived a girl. She wasn’t born, she just appeared one sunny afternoon in the town  called Mushi. The people there told her she was fictional, born out of someone’s imagination just like them.  She didn’t believe them , instead she decided she was real. At least that’s the way she felt .Her senses worked perfectly, she saw beautiful colors ,she could smell the roses and hear the birds. Most of all her emotions were very strong , they made her know for sure that she was real. One particular one plagued her, it was sadness.  For in her world she was the only one who lived, the others just barely existed .That made her feel very alone.
She lived in a bright orange mansion by the seaside .She didn’t know how she got it but she knew it was hers. Most of the rooms were empty but she used her imagination to bring them to life. She had a beautiful wooden bed with the words “beware of the stars and infinity on high” carved into her headboard. It was the begging of a Van Gogh quote, that made the connection she felt with  the tortured artist even stronger. She knew of the suffering  that not being satisfied  with her achievements brought. When she thought of him it was with great pain she wished he had known of  his greatness. The only difference between her and him is that she vowed never to be destroyed by the pain.
Everyday was the same in Mushi, the town people woke up and got about their day.  The fishermen sold fish , the maids cleaned up , the children went to school and at the end of the day everyone went to bed.  The date never changed, the Mushis forgot all  about the day before once they were asleep all except  the girl. She hated this never ending cycle, to exist she did something different ever day. After a while she’d taken all the roads , eaten all the food , talked to every single Mushi villager she didn’t know what to do. So one morning she got up on the roof of the mansion and jumped after all if she wasn’t real she couldn’t die could she ?The fall hurt, it hurt so much she was surprised speechless. Her bones unlike those of the mushi people could break. That fact changed her day completely. She was alive it wasn’t only in her mind as she rejoiced the sharp pain in her arm brought her back to reality.
Since the Mushi never got sick or hurt there was no doctor in the whole of the town. So she limped into her house took a piece of  wood and old rag and tied her arm to the makeshift  cast. She spent all the time it took for her arm to heal in her house reading knowing that she was on her way to being a real girl.
What she didn’t know was her fall had created an unnoticeable change in her little town. For the first time in 2 centuries a Mushi villager didn’t  forget about his previous day. Unlike  the girl he had a name , it was Alexander.
Alexander was a librarian , he remembered that the girl didn’t come to the library the day before . Also that she always talked about things the townspeople never did. Not knowing what to do he walked up  to the orange mansion and asked her what was wrong with him. The girl amazed and euphoric told him that he had memory, she explained to him how it worked and the problem the Mushi’s had. He understood that he as well as the others had been living a very sad life indeed. He now also wanted to be alive and not simply exist. Alexander still a little confused with his new ability asked if he could sleep in her house. The girl accepted with joy knowing she finally had the chance to share her bed or at least her home with even for a night. She felt less lonely.

As the months went by, they looked for solutions to how Alexander had changed overnight. They also looked out for other changes but none came. No one remembered a thing and Alexander now joined  the girl in her quest to change things. Every day they made different meals, walked down different paths but they just couldn’t leave Mushi. They  were humans trapped in a motionless warp and they began to hate it. All they had was each other, it was the only thing kept them alive .Time took it’s course and they fell in love, at least that’s what they thought it was. It was actually affection created by the desperation they shared. Years went by, till they gave the idea of changing anything completely up and eventually died. Of course life in Mushi continued as usual no one  even remembered them. The fight was lost.
This story has a moral , it’s about dreams. At the beginning we’re so sure of them but as life goes on we get distracted or we let go before we achieve those goals. Don’t forget to live, please don’t just exist. Be real . That’s what life’s for.
© Copyright 2008 AnonymousFangirl (nikz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1463676-The-character