*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1464145-End-of-the-Line
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kirin
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1464145
A poor man going to the end of the line to save his wife.
Sometimes things move so slowly that they seem totally stationary. Some such things are the earth, ship sailing at the horizon, the queue Akhan was in…

Akhan stared at the cash counter. So close, yet so far. He had been in the line for the past half an hour and it seemed he was still where he started. Only now, there were a number of people behind him as well, trying in vain to make him feel that he was moving forward in the line. There seemed to be some problem with the man at the front of the queue. There had to be. Otherwise the line wouldn’t be this stagnant. People get dumber and dumber as they get richer, Akhan thought. He himself was by no means rich, so he must be pretty clever, he thought. He threw a glance at the rich people around him in the bank. If only he were as rich, he would never have been here. The events of the previous day flooded his mind. His legs felt weak.

“She should have continued the medication. We told you it was important.” The doctor said with concern.

“I didn't know it was that important. She never told me she was weak.”Akhan tried to state his case. He didn't want to tell the doctor the truth. If only he could have afforded the medication!

“Believe me Mr. Akhan. It’s a miracle that the baby is still alive. Your wife is so weak that she can’t bear the baby anymore. If the baby stays any longer, it not only reduces the chance of its own survival, but also puts your wife in grave danger. You should've taken better care of your wife”

"I couldn't afford the medication doctor! I tried but couldn't. If only I knew how critical that medication was, I would surely have provided it to her however possible. I love my wife very much doctor! Please save her. I'll buy whatever medication she needs. Please don't let her die!"

“You don't understand the gravity of the situation Mr.Akhan. The damage has already been done. It is now too late for medications. I’m sorry Mr.Akhan. I’m afraid a surgery is inevitable. The earlier, the more successful. I understand that you have difficulty arranging funds but I can help you only as a doctor. This is not my hospital and I'm in no position to help you financially. I can only wish you good luck and pray for you. Please arrange the funds as soon as possible."

The money needed for the surgery was more than ten times his monthly salary. He had no place to go and no one to ask. The only way he could arrange that large a sum was if he robbed a bank, and that was exactly why he was here at the bank now.

The man at the front of the line came out swearing. The queue started moving. As he inched towards the counter, Akhan felt the knife in his pocket and his stupidity in his heart. It felt so small and weak. He hoped this knife would be sufficient. He hoped that his wife did not need the surgery. He hoped he could have afforded the medication. Not many hopes are fulfilled, are they?

Akhan found himself shaking. He was at the counter. The fingers fumbled in the pocket,around the knife, trying not to find it, but everywhere they moved they found the knife. The clerk glared at Akhan impatiently not knowing that this was going to be one of the unforgettable days in his life. Akhan was trying in vain to see with his eyes burning with sweat in them. At last, bringing up the courage, his fingers held the handle of the knife and started pulling it out of its hideout. He had prepared a lot of times on how to announce the robbery. Now the time had come to put his preparations to practice.

"Everybody down! This is a fucking Stickup!"

The clerk at the counter was terrified. Everywhere around him people were going down. Akhan stared at them uncomprehending. Then the voice came again.

" Hey you jackass! Down! Now!"

Akhan stared at him. There he was, at the entrance door, with a mask in his face and a gun in his hand. Tears started rolling down Akhan's cheek. He felt relieved. Immensely relieved. Quietly, he bowed down.
© Copyright 2008 Kirin (kirin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1464145-End-of-the-Line