*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1465553-Sunflower
by qwerty
Rated: E · Other · Environment · #1465553
The rantings of a sunflower and lilac bush.
Sunflower:
I stood tall today. Yesterdays storms had me flustered, but I didn't crack under the pressure. It is such a beautiful day. I could feel the wind sway me slightly and the sun felt as though it were smiling on me. I stand in a field. Lilac to my side I fear is growing too fast. I am growing weary of lilac. I know there is nothing I can do, but I constantly worry that lilac will steal the sun from me. I worry that I will fall into darkness and despair like the many by the oak tree. I hope that I will grow fast enough to overcome the darkness that lingers near.

Lilac:
Oh how I hope to blossom this summer. I know I must have grown twice as tall as last summer. The old oak has told me so. He doesn't sway much anymore. He has no need for concern or change because he has been deeply set in his ways. He doesn't talk much for the newcomers. I asked him why the other day and he replied, "I don't expect them to stay around long, so I try not to get too close." He is not much for conversation, but there aren't many to talk to around here. He always talks about how good 'the old days' were. He goes on and on about how the new ones don't respect their elders. "They grow up with different morals" he says, "There are twice as many weeds these days." As for the grass, they sway too and for and hum to themselves. I wish they would hum a different tune now and then. There are very few flowers around but I sense they are envious of me and don't wish to talk. The blossoms will bring the bees this summer. I rely on them for all the gossip. I encountered a bee today that told me Maple down the way had been struck by lightning yesterday. What a frightening thing. I am glad it is only one limb that was down. I hope my blossoms will come soon.
© Copyright 2008 qwerty (qwertyhrg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1465553-Sunflower