*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1465908-Lace-Up-Your-Skates--Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Entertainment · #1465908
12 year old Kristiana is tied between life and struggles with rollerskating in gym.
Chapter One:

"Olivia, now is NOT the time for a free chat session. Gym class starts in thirty-six minutes and I haven't had a late record in my entire school career. Being even one millisecond late would result in a detention, where I'm fully aware of the goth-types and class-skippers that literally live there! Now, quit it."
I was practically ready to buy an Energy Star water cooler from the Target across the street, fill it up with ice cubes to the brim and then dump it all over my best friend, Olivia Callese's, head.
"Marcos, I know we're just going to have a blast this year! Maybe we could do a little tour of the school later on, and of course I could teach you some English. Did you know it's incredibly confusing? I think we should do worksheets every day either at my house or your's. So you can, you know, catch up!" Olivia, who was speed-talking, explained her master plan, to Marcos Ferriera, the transfer student from Spain. I have to admit, he was good-looking. His thick, choppy black hair fell short, almost over his eye. His eyes were wide and green, about the color of a fern. He had the absolute most fluttery eyelashes I'd ever seen. So of course, it was part of Olivia's instinct to flirt.
Marcos just kept on nodding, his black hair flopping around like a puppy's ears. My other point was, he had no clue how to even translate 'hola' into 'hello.' But there Olivia went, just talking like nothing was stopping her. I felt the urge again to also buy a wide steel-colored piece of Duct Tape and wrap it around her thin little mouth fifteen times.
"Move it, Olivia!" I half-joked. As excited as she was to start a new grade, I decide I should cut her some slack.
Her heavy but lush sepia hair was tossed into a messy bun, held by crimson intricately designed chopsticks. Exotic looking flower-drop earrings were secured on her elfin ears. A scarlet graphic tee of hers, with a dragon snaking it's way along the front, was paired with a black thin sash that just hit her barely-there hips. And of course her favorite black ripple skirt, a little higher than her knees was being worn. To top it all off, the crimson Asian flip-flops on her feet made her look at least 5 inches taller.
"Coming, Mother!" she fully teased, breaking away from Marcos.
"Are you okay, Kristi? You seem different from last year. Not that I exactly was best buddies with you then, but you know. Is this because of....." Her voice trailed off, leaving awkardness in the chicken-nugget smelling air.
"Olivia, no, it's not." I answered, all sternness included.
Her round face dropped about five inches.
Sensing her pain, I tried to brighten things up. "Now let's go before the bell rings, Oh Firtatious One," I said as enthusiastically as ever.
"You were eavesdropping!!" Her face slowly spread into a grin, which made me feel better.
"Was not!" I teased back, like we were eight again.
Olivia pressed her full body against the heavy chestnut door to the girl's locker room and we tightly crossed our fingers. Everyone knows that gym class is the one you build your life around.
© Copyright 2008 Kelly Powell (writingluver96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1465908-Lace-Up-Your-Skates--Chapter-1