*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1465983-The-Child-of-A-Monster
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1465983
Beauty could blind anyone.
Word count: 374

Caroline hurried to the local church. Her steps echoed through the cold November night as she ran. A basket was hanging from her right arm. In the basket was a newborn baby warped with blankets. The little girl watched her mother with yellow eyes that were shining with hunger and frustration. Caroline believed that the baby thought she was food, a piece of meat, nothing more nor less.

The mother reached her destination, put the basket outside the church gates, turned around and hurried in the direction of her second destination.
“I’ve given birth to a monster.” she told herself over and over again. She thought back at the time, nine months ago. She had been blinded by his beauty; she knew what he was and what would happen if she gave birth to his child. Caroline decided to give it to the church, because she knew they would kill it without a second thought. She had left a letter in the basket, explaining what had to be done and that she was too weak to do it herself.

Caroline ran past some trees that had changed the color of their leaves to different shades of orange and brown. A fluffy squirrel watched her from one of the tree branches, and an owl watched the squirrel from another tree, ready to strike it. But Caroline didn’t notice anything around her, she had to reach her destination, and fast, before anyone noticed her.

She reached the cliffs, her second destination. She stood at the edge of the cliff; underneath her pointy stones were covering the ground, and angry waves were hitting those stones.
“I shouldn’t have done it.” She sobbed. Her face was now covered in tears.
She took a deep breath, looked down a second time and then jumped. She heard the werewolves’ angry and sad howls coming from the forest near by, but she didn’t care anymore, she was free.

Her body got pierced by the pointy stones and her blood spread into the water as waves hit her. Had she done the right thing? Will the priest find the baby before the wolves do? The questions kept hitting her, as her life slowly vanished.

© Copyright 2008 Izabelle (izabelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1465983-The-Child-of-A-Monster