*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1466249-ZEDS-Chapter-Two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1466249
A retired soldier from a secret organization has to relive past horrors.
Chapter Two

Alvin looked a little furious.
“Toss me the grenade.” He said.
I threw him the grenade.
“Get out through the window.” Alvin ordered.
Mark stepped up to the tiny window. “You’re kidding, right?”
I opened the window. Mark looked at the window and at me. “After you.” He said. I climbed through the window with my gun in front of me. Half of me was outside; my gun was aimed forward but saw no one.
I heard a growling behind me. Oh crap. I thought as I struggled to get out. I heard fast footsteps, then a gunshot.
I pulled myself out of the house and fell to the ground with a thud. I saw the dead zombie that almost ate me and nearly jumped to my feet when I heard an explosion come from the inside of the house.
A shovel was thrown the window as Mark climbed out. Another explosion inside the house rocked the ground as Alvin jumped out the window.
“This way.” He said getting to his feet. “Run.”
I finally got up and followed Alvin and Mark. Alvin turned around and shouted at Mark. “What are you doing?!!!”
“What?”
“Get the shovel!”
Mark ran back to get the shovel but some zombies must have heard Alvin shout because seven of the zombies ran after Mark. Mark ran toward the zombies and got to the shovel first; he quickly picked it up and smashed the first one’s skull.
Alvin turned around and fired two shots. Killing both of them.
“To the hill, hurry.” Alvin said as Mark ran past him.
I ran up the hill with my gun scanning the area.
“Dig.” Alvin ordered Mark. “There.”
I thought for a moment. Alvin wouldn’t keep more than one grenade in his backpack. “Where did you get the other grenades?” I asked.
“I taped the grenades to the bottom of your bed.” Alvin said as casually as if he said I put the book on the book shelf.
“What?!!” I exclaimed. “You have a laser hidden in my house, grenades under my bed and a RPG hidden who knows where! Do you have anything else hidden in my house?!!!”
As if in answer, Alvin took out a remote from his pocket and pressed the button and my house exploded. He smiled and said. “Not no more.”
Twenty people in the street spotted us. I fired all five shots in my pistol. I got two in the head, they fell backwards, one in the shoulder, it kept running forward, and two bullets hit one in the leg making him fall on his face.
Alvin threw a grenade at the group. The zombies exploded but one got lucky and continued to run up the small hill.
The zombie jumped at Alvin. With surprising speed Alvin strafed to the left and grabbed him by the throat. The zombie fell backwards as Alvin broke his neck.
“Holy Shit, dude.” Mark said. “Alvin, you’ve got to tell me where you learned that.”
“Maybe.” Alvin said. “Almost got it?”
“Yeah” Mark said pulling out a crate. “What’s in here?”
“M-16s and an AR-15.” Alvin said opening the crate.
The crate opened revealing, (Just as Alvin said) three M-16s and an AR-15. Forty clips of ammo were stacked against the side.
We loaded the weapons and put the ammo in Alvin’s backpack. He looked a little uneasy about that but I dismissed it. I set the M-16 to full automatic, and then put the safety on. Mark did the same.
Alvin slung the M-16 around his back and loaded the AR-15. “Let’s go” Alvin said. I saw groups of zombies breaking into some houses followed by gunshots. A platoon of zombies seemed to form a formation a few blocks down, luckily they didn’t see us.
“Hmmm. They don’t usually do that.” Alvin muttered.
“Do what?” Mark asked.
“Form groups.” Alvin said. “A zombie just attacks what’s in front of it, they don’t think. They don’t open doors either.”
“Wait,” I said. “How do you know?”
Alvin thought for a moment.
“Zombie survival guide.” Alvin said.
We had got to a playground next to the boys and girls club. It seemed empty.
“Okay lay low here.” Alvin said.
“Where are you going?” I asked.
“Wait here till I get back. Got something I need to do.”
He took two clips of ammo and left his M-16 with me.
“How do we know he’ll get back?” I asked Mark.
“He’s Alvin, he might blow up all of Pueblo but he’ll get back.”
We stayed quiet as a zombie group past by. They were walking around the fence that surrounded the basketball court, probably looking for a bite to eat. They eventually gave up and moved away. For a second I thought I saw the one in the back spot us but I dismissed it as they moved away.
A separate group of zombies approached. Twenty of them, moving toward the playground. Two were ahead of the others while the other eighteen walked a few feet behind. It looked almost like a formation.
“Hey Mark, is this a problem?”
“It won’t be.” Mark said. “Get the one on the right.”
I did as I was told, while Mark aimed at the one on the left. I waited for the command.
“Fire.” Mark whispered.
We both fired and the two zombies went down instantly. One zombie made an irritating screeching noise and the remaining zombies scattered.
“Is that supposed to happen?” Mark asked.
I switched the M-16 to full auto and pulled the trigger. I expected full automatic fire but all I got was a puny three round burst. So I fired three burst into the crowd none of which hit. They were out of sight in a moment.
“Aren’t they supposed to be stupid?” I asked.
The zombies emitted a series of growling noises then formed what looked like a formation. The infected zigzagged toward us. I aimed the M-16 and fired seven burst. Six hit sending them flying backwards. Mark fired continuously as I reloaded and fired again.
The infected zigzagged to avoid being hit. It was effective but all the zombies were mowed down before they could even touch us.
We were in the clear for now.
But as a horde of sixty zombies approached, I realized I may have spoken too soon. The gunshots must have attracted the attention of all the nearby infected.
We were screwed.
Mark and I both reloaded and fired as quickly as possible as the infected rushed at us in a crowd not bothering to dodge or use tactics.
I killed at least nine. Mark got six.
As they got closer we heard screeching growls coming from behind us. The group that past by earlier had flanked us.
“Shit dude!” I yelled and pointed. Bullets left my gun like water leaving the faucet.
“Climb!” Mark said. “Climb!”
We climbed on top of the tunnel on the playground firing at the approaching zombies. “God damn it!” Mark shouted as one of the infected grabbed his leg and pulled him down. I tried to help him but I got pulled down with him. I hit the ground, adrenaline rushing I recovered my gun and squeezed the trigger as many times as possible. It was no use they surrounded us and begun to feed.
Gunfire erupted behind them. Surprised they turned around only to have their heads blown open as each one was shot down. Through the crowd I could group of kids dispatching the zombies with ease.
I flinched as a bullet zipped past my head. “What the F-uck!” I shouted. The zombie that was attacking me continued.
“Bam.”
A three round burst entered the zombie and sent it flying, (like superman) down to the ground. Mark lowered his gun, but raised it as the flanking zombies started to run.
Two of the infected came at me. I pulled out my pistol, but o forgot it was empty so I threw at them. One zombie was hit in the head but it didn’t do anything they come forward. Mark took out his machete sized knife and stabbed the first one in the face. I dropped the empty M-16 and tackled him.
Knocking the zombie to the ground I tried to choke it but the zombie grabbed me by the neck and threw my against the tunnel. Mark tried to lacerate the b-stard but the zombie strafed to the right, grabbed his knife hand, pulled him forward and struck him in the face. Mark fell backwards.
Then I realized. It was Joey.
The kids who had dispatched the zombies open fired on Joey. Joey dived to the ground as the kids on him. A bullet went right through his head but he continued to run. They stopped firing when he entered the trees.
“Holy shit dude.” One of the kids said. “That one is a tough b-stard.”
One of the kids, a girl about fifteen years old came toward us. Like the others she wore a military looking uniform, she had long brown hair and blue eyes.
“Are you Mark and Mike?” She asked.
“Yeah” I said.
“Alvin will be back in a minute.” She said.
As she got closer I could see the nametag on her chest. CARTMAN. It said. As the other kids got closer I read their names.
MOORE has black hair and brown eyes. I’m guessing he’s about fourteen or fifteen years old carrying a machine gun.
WATTERSON has blond hair and black eyes. I say he’s fifteen or sixteen years old. Holding an AK-47.
COONTS is about fifteen, blond hair and blue eyes. She reloaded her Ak-47 as she walked toward us.
PTLINSKY held an MP5, he had brown eyes and black hair.
KLIENHARDT had long blond hair tied in a ponytail. Blue eyes and carried an M-16 with a grenade launcher fitted on.
They took strategic positions around the playground.
I heard voice. “R! R! N!”
I couldn’t make out it was saying. Then I saw Alvin running toward us.
“R! N! R! N!” I still couldn’t figure out what he was saying.
Then I noticed a hundred and fifty zombies in quick pursuit of Alvin.
“Run!” He shouted.
As he ran past us Mark shouted. “Come on Alvin! We can take em!”
“That’s not what I’m running from!” Alvin shouted without stopping.
“Run.” Cartman ordered.
Everyone started running. I went back to get the backpack. I picked it up but Alvin raced back took it and threw it to the ground. “Leave it.” He ordered.
We all ran as fast as we could. Then we heard an explosion. I turned around to see the playground explode along with most of the zombies.
“Why didn’t nobody tell me there was C4 in the backpack!” Mark shouted.
“Turn and charge!” Cartman ordered.
We all turned around and ran towards the remaining zombies killing all of them and then continued to run through the streets. The zombies inside the buildings in front of came out. But as soon as they left their yards the houses exploded killing them.
Did Alvin set explosives everywhere? I tried to calculate whether he had the time but exhaustion interrupted.
Every ten feet we ran the houses in front of us exploded killing all of zombies within the blast radius. This continued till we got to the bridge.
“Mike what time is it?” Alvin asked.
“What does that have to do with anything?”
“The time! Mike.”
I looked at my watch, it was two thirty five. What an odd question.
“Its two thirty-“
But before I could say five, I heard a few explosions come from the house near the bridge.
“Two thirty six” Alvin muttered.
The thirty zombies on the bridge spotted us as Alvin shouted. “Move!”
The first thing that went through my mind was: Alvin set explosives on the bridge.
We all ran as fast as we could. Alvin’s squad dispatched the thirty zombies with ease and without stopping. We made it across the bridge as the house exploded. Sending a doorknob slamming into my face.
© Copyright 2008 Emvalle (e.m.j.v at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1466249-ZEDS-Chapter-Two