*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1466951-What-Does-He-See-In-Me
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Philosophy · #1466951
A conversation with my reflection.
“You don’t look the way I picture you in my head.”

“You look exactly how I picture you.”

“But I am you.”

“And you’re me.”

“That’s a little depressing.”

“Yeah, but you made us this way.”

“I didn’t realize what I made us into, though. I thought I knew what you looked like. I was wrong.”

“Do I feel a tear?”

“Maybe, if you can feel anything.”

“I feel everything that you feel, only moments later.”

“Moments later? Oh, because light travels in a finite time.”

“Yes and no. I might look like you, but I’m not you. I’m not even a very good reflection of you.”

“You are a perfect reflection of me.”

“Not at all. When you see me, you don’t see what other people see. You see what you want to see.”

“No, I want to see what I see inside my head, not what I’m seeing right now.”

“That’s what I mean by moments later. I am a reflection of your feelings. You have a good thought and moments later I smile. When you felt depressed, I didn’t cry immediately, I cried a little later. I am the reflection of the future you, not the present you.”

“Insightful.”

“Not really. What are you going to do with that information?”

“Read the future by watching you.”

“I said that I’m not a very good reflection of you. I exist at the mercy of your whim. Have a terrible thought, and make me smile. Picture your finest moment and distort my face into rage. I am not your future, just the future you.”

“Then, what good are you to me?”

“At times I will be your only friend.”

“Or my worst enemy…”

“True, but that’s up to you. However, whenever you need me, you know where to find me.”

“Do you see the back of my head when I turn around?”

“No, I turn around with you.”

“When I look into a window, through you and beyond into a room, what are you looking at?”

“I’m looking beyond you, too.”

“When I look into your eyes, can you see my soul?”

“I see nothing at all.”

358 Words
© Copyright 2008 DanielHardin (hanieldardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1466951-What-Does-He-See-In-Me