*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467043-A-Restless-Resolution
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1467043
When your new dream replaces an old one.
He awoke from a fearful sleep. This night like so many others had little real rest to offer him. For the past month dread had poured into him,  through him and seeking into his pores. It haunted him, followed him through every moment. He looked over his shoulder to see her there sleeping as she had night after night for the past three months. The comforter was pulled up almost so that it was covering her face. What was left to show through was covered by strands of brown hair which glowed ever so slightly in the moonlight; the only source of light in the room.
         His head returned to the pillow and his mind began to wander back. How strange it was; the only thing he had ever wanted was to leave, to make his own way in another part of the world.  He had dreamed since he was fourteen of the Yangtze River cutting it's way through a proverbial field of mountains and the stone of the Great Wall rolling beneath his feet as he walked along it. Since those naïve times of his boyhood whenever he thought about those places he could feel the wind blowing through his hair and ruffling his clothes, feel the heat coming off the woks as he passed street vendors, and smell the morning's tea. Every day for six years he had those day dreams and every day he knew he was drawing closer to the fulfillment of his dream. As he lay next to this amazing, beautiful woman the scents still hit his nostrils and the wind still blew against  his face. It wasn't as though he no longer wanted it or no longer dreamed of it just that it had taken a back seat to a new, more ambitious purpose in life.
         He was supposed to be there already. He was supposed to be sleeping twelve hours ahead of her;while she was making her morning meal he would have already finished dinner and been getting ready for the night's passage. And yet because of mix- ups with the governments of both his country and the one which he had thought to call his own some day he was grounded. Four times in the past month he had to change his flight. The reason? He hadn't received his visa yet. Yet every time he went through his disappointment, she was there by his side assuring him that it would be alright. She was there by his side tying herself closer to him albeit unknown to her. Every time it happened he wanted to go less and less until finally he couldn't bring himself to do it. She  had become his new dream and now when he thought of her a new wind came across his face. He felt it take his hand; felt it brush across his lips.
         Suddenly, a rustling sound brought him back to the darkness of his bedroom; their bedroom they had shared for months. Her eyes opened slightly as she rolled over and met with his. The moonlight licked across her face, causing them to glow with a blue aura. It was one of those moments where his heart again screamed at him and told him beyond any doubt that with her is where he wanted and needed to be.
         She smiled and closed her eyes;back into her gentle sleep she fell. He rolled on his side toward her, cursing himself. He had allowed the plan to go on. He was still leaving and she would still be here without him. His breath increased and his heart began to ache and scream until finally a cool, calm resolve settled over him. He put his arm around her as she slept and drew her in close to him. He kissed her forehead, never to spend a night without her.
© Copyright 2008 Charles Hayward Jr. (chayward021508 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467043-A-Restless-Resolution