*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467696-Wish-Fullfilled
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #1467696
Quicky for DFF
“All I’m sayin’ is life sucks. Hell, if you don’t believe that then you just plain ain’t payin’ attention.” Bennie was feeling his oats tonight. He got this way most nights, using his paycheck to pave the way to an alcoholic oblivion, a place where the pain of being Bennie was lessened, at least for the moment. If only he had more money, life would be different.

He wandered home after the bar closed, pausing only to relieve himself against a tree in the park, bracing himself with the trunk to keep from toppling over. Finished, he took a brief look around when something caught his eye. There, underneath a small shrub was what appeared to be a small child with a beard.

Must have put a little extra kick in the gin and tonic tonight, he thought to himself.

The small apparition chose that moment to speak.

“Pardon me my good chap. Should you find it to be in your goodness of will, a desire to help a poor Leprechaun, I would certainly make it worth your while. All I need it for you to cut the wire some scoundrel used to tie me to this here tree.”

Bennie, always one willing to participate in a drunken, stupor-generated hallucination bent down and went to work on the wire. In moments the little bearded one was free.

“Tell me now lad, what is it you would be a wantin’?”

Bennie simply said, “All the money I could ever want.” With that, he turned and staggered on towards home.

He woke the next morning to find servants running about doing this and that. One brought him his daily eye opener. Within hours, a drunken Bennie enter the realm of alcohol poisoning. “Life still sucks” were his last words.

Word count 297

© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1467696-Wish-Fullfilled