*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1468201-Goners
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1468201
Contest Entry. Driving over a cliff. I dared myself.
Goners


  "Woohoo! Look at me! I’m about to do this. Yes! I am going to do this. I dared myself and I never back down from a dare. Bungy jumping, skydiving, walking on a board from one skyscraper to the next. I was out of ideas! What did you expect?! "
  "Leave it alone, dude!"
" No! A dare is sacred."
  I" never dared you to do anything. You’ll destroy us both, you maniac!"
  "There it is, see! The edge. Whooo! The edge and then the sky. Nothing else. Except those seagulls."
  "Stop it! Let go of the wheel. Do NOT start the car!!! NO!!!"
  Vrrrrroooom. A growl, a jerk, a flurry of dust. The card speeds down the lane of death. The edge flies nearer and nearer. A shriek sounds from inside the car. It toes the line so gracefully, without a second thought.
  The car soars spectacularly in the air, like a circus trained acrobat. But gravity will not be disobeyed…the car nosedives…down…endlessly down….
  "SAY YOUR PRAYERS FRIEND!!!'
  "YOU CRAZY *%^*&*!"
" AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"
  The blue surface below prepares to swallow its prey. A deafening crash, a skull-jarring pound, and then the nothingness of the deep blue sea.
  "I can’t breathe! I can’t breathe!"
  "Stop it you idiot, just unlock the door."
  "I can’t breathe! I…c-caaan..t….brea…."
  Darkness follows and then heaven knows what else. Later the car is found in the bottom of the belly of sea, in a rocky niche. The door is broken open and the body is taken out of the car.
  “Poor guy” says the coastal guard. "Crazy daredevil! I saw him on top of the cliff, alone in the car looking, talking to himself. Very near psychotic and I thought: what now?!"
  But a sickening miracle happens, just then. The victim opens an eye and says, “Did you see those two? They were a couple of goners! I was watching from above!”

© Copyright 2008 Kuku - Peaceful in Ramadan (maram at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1468201-Goners