*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/146886-William-the-Great
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Sci-fi · #146886
the poor boy didn't know his own strength (please read and rate)
William the Great
William moped in the back of his parents car. His chin nearly against his chest in silent protest. He hated Grandma's house, it always had an odd smell and at eleven years old he was always shuffled into the next room, kept out of sight and mind while the adults talked of worldly things. Young Will could think of nothing more boring than visiting Grandma's.
...Meanwhile, a truly great ruler sat back in his chambers, contemplating his life. King Telmah had governed his nation for nearly seventy years of prosperity and peace. He had overcome social boundaries and performed political miracles. He was loved by all and hero to many, but he could not help but feel that God had cheated him somehow. He had succeeded in all the good mankind could ever hope for but failed at all attempts to produce an heir. In his infinite wisdom he knew that any to be crowned King in his place would quickly become corrupted by the boundless power and unquestioning faith of his people. He was very old and, yes he accepted, probably dying, but the terrible sorrow he felt was not for himself, it was for his great country. The ability he had enjoyed his entire life, to remain humble in the face of pure power, could only be genetic, burned into the core of his being. And sadder still, the rarest trait ever known.
...Back at his grandmother's house, William was perched in the middle of a large and uncomfortable lime green couch. Definitely a tacky item anywhere in the world, save for this room. The adults laughed and shouted on the other end of the house, spoons dancing in coffee mugs and beer bottles hissing open around the dining room table. William looked around his solitary living room. The antique television was droning on there in front of him, the picture was very dark and bright colors smeared off their objects. The well used coffee table between the couch and t.v. supported a very plastic arrangement of daisies and a bowl of walnuts with a simple silver cracker in the shape of a "V" next to it. The chair to the side of the table was surely kept only to match the couch, it was nearly worn through in the seat and the frays that covered the back and arms could use another trimming. The walls were yellowed from years of cigarette smoke and hung with various biblical scenes, many of which the type where the eyes would seem to follow you, and one or two others on black velvet. A grandfather clock stood on the remaining wall, this being the only item in the room to lack a thin layer of dust, almost as if to say that time doesn't stand still, even in this room. Poor Will was losing his mind.
...King Telmah walked out into the night across his magnificent terrace and looked out across his capital city glowing in the night. Though none of the good souls below him would ever believe it, he knew that he had failed them. All they had struggled for and built together would not last as it should. The golden age was coming to a close and all the vultures waiting in the wings would soon pounce on and pillage this peace loving society. Telmah looked to the stars and shouted.
" Why? Why must it end!?"
To this the heavens answered. A gigantic bolt of staggered light shot across the dark sky, but this was no sort of lightning. The entire world shook as this blinding crack grew branches like a tree and then widened. Large chunks of sky fell to the ground destroying everything.
...William put the nutcracker down among the shattered shell of the walnut on the table. He studied the brain looking fruit a moment, and then popped it into his mouth. The flavor was bland and left an odd aftertaste. But as he swallowed it, he felt an even odder sense of great social structure and diplomatic understanding. A couple of days later, this feeling passed.

The End
© Copyright 2001 zombies (zombies at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/146886-William-the-Great