*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469019-A-soldiers-story-from-Iraq
Rated: 13+ · Other · Military · #1469019
First place winner in the "Honor our Veterans" Contest. January 2011
This story is about one soldier's time in Iraq, it contains letters to home, his accounts of when he was there and his homecoming.  This story is about my brother, my friend, my hero.

During a time when the world was uncertain after 9-11, one young man, only a year or so out of high school decided he needed to do something to help protect his country. With Bin Laden on the loose and our soldiers fighting in Afghanistan against the Taliban, Adam decided to join the army.  Being from a small farm community in Wisconsin he hadn’t seen much of the world, little did he know that he would soon see more of the world than he cared to.

Adam joined the army in 2002, thinking that it would be his way of giving back to a country that had been good to him. He wanted his chance to go after the man that had so cruelly killed thousands of people on 9-11. Adam did his basic training At Ft. Benning, Georgia and from there was stationed in Ft. Campbell, Kentucky with the 101st Airborne.

In early 2003, Adam received orders to go to Iraq. A war he, like so many others had not planned on. He, like so many others did not know at the time what they would be getting themselves into. In March of 2003 the 101st Airborne over 30,000 soldiers were deployed to Iraq. Ft. Campbell, Kentucky became a ghost town other than the civilians and soldiers families that were left behind. For us back at home it was a stressful time of not knowing when the call would come saying your son/brother was killed in action.

Then the worst of things that could happen did. While waiting to go into Iraq, Adams Camp (Camp Pennsylvania) was attacked by one of his own comrades. Which killed two men and injured 15. Adam escaped injury but was one of the men who detained the soldier.  Adam had told us later the soldier who had done this was a Muslim and against the war from the beginning. He should of never have been there. Now this soldier is serving life at one of the army jails here in the US for his actions.   

For the first few weeks of his deployment we heard nothing from Adam, which was very hard on my mother. We spent many hours, day in and day out watching the television to catch a glimpse of Adam as the war was being televised.  Then on March 25, 2003 Pfc. Adam Hetrick was on Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. He was taking his helmet off at a memorial service for the two soldier's that were killed in the Camp Pennsylvania incident. We knew then that Adam was alive and well, if not a bit thinner.


It wasn’t long after that that we received Adams first letter home.

This is a letter to the local papers editor.
Dear Editor

As proud parents of a soldier with 101st Airborne in Iraq. We have decided to share his letters with you, the public. You must understand that some of these letters, which were written by Pfc. Adam W. Hetrick were on pieces of paper about 3x5’, something he could carry in his pocket. Pfc. Hetrick has been in Iraq since day one of the Iraq war, and as of this date, he is still there protecting the freedom of all people. We have combined his letters together, leaving out all the I love you, and I miss you and the gushy stuff.

Letter 1 (March 2003)

I'm doing good. We've been doing a lot of training. Everyone here has been dealing with the weather conditions. The sandstorms have been terrible. We do a lot of chemical warfare drills. We will be resuming our operation orders in a few days. We plan on going about 400 miles into iraq. We don't have lights yet. So I am writing by by using my flashlight.

Letter 2 (March 2003)

Tell everyone to send mail. We have been guarding an ammo plant for the past week which holds most of the ammo for the U. S. Army. We have been working non-stop since we have been here. If you want to read things about my company we are as www.skynews.com. My company is Alpha Comapnay 2-327IN NO SLACK BATTALION. Right now we are on a Kawait Military Base and the people speak fairly good English, and that's a good thing, as I don't see myself learning arabic any time soon. We have been sleeping on a cement floor at night and everyday we must cram 22 people into a truck which is made to hold 16.

Letter 3 (March 2003)

We have been getting ready to move out on a mission. We aren't receiving any mail right now, but keep sending it because we will get it after our mission.


As time wore, letters to home were few and far between. We sat glued to the television day in and day out hoping to catch a glimpse of Adam as things developed in Iraq. We were waiting and wondering how many of our soldiers would have to die in the so called War-Against-Terrorism. Many young men and women had places their lives on the line for people who hated us and who didn't want us there. There is so much hatred our soldiers would have to deal with while fighting for a country who didn’t believe in the American ways.

And then on April 2, 2003 once again news comes of a US soldier being freed after being taken hostage; our hopes soared and plummeted that day as we knew that things were going to get very bad, very quickly. Once again being glued to the television, we waited to hear news, any news as to who this soldier was. When the name came (Jessica Lynch) it was a relief to us as we had heard nothing from Adam at this point.   

Then Not long after, we finally heard from Adam.


Letter4 (April 2003)

I'm doing good. I will be moving out to Saddam's hometown tomorrow. Most of the Republican Guard has come from there.

The whole time I've been here I have realized just how much of everything in the U.S. I take for granted. Over here I see all these little kids and I feel sorry for them because of the conditions they live in. The kids are all living in conditions you wouldn't believe. They have no shoes, old ragged clothes and there is garbage all over the streets. There is sewage all over because they have no indoor plumbing around here, or anywhere that I have seen.

We have not had a shower in over a week and everyone stinks. Not that we notice as everything smells the same.

We are in Najaf, a town of over 400,000 people, so far everyone seems to like us here. There is no Iraq army left here.

We have been eating MRE's for almost two weeks and everyone is feeling a bit under the weather.

My platoon is the smallest one in the company and my platoon is the best one in the battalion and we do more missions than anyone here. On some of our missions
we got to talk to the Iraqi people and some of them traded things with us.


Letter 5 (April 2003)

We are in the city of Babylon and we just finished with Easter Service at the ancient ruins. It's hard over here as we never know what we will be doing from one day to the next. The army will be calling you and letting you know when we will be coming home. Hope to see you soon.
Your son, Pfc. Adam W. Hetrick.

As we write this article, it takes approximately 14 to 17 days to receive mail from the states to Iraq.
Adam would like everyone to know that your prayer, packages and personal thoughtfulness to him and his family have been greatly appreciated and hope to thank each and everyone of you personally when he gets back to the states.

Part three


We now receive emails from Adam almost on a daily basis, telling us he is safe and not to worry. Then there are days when he is in the field and unable to talk to talk to us.

As we heard about the two Blackhawk helicopters going down this past week with the 101st Airborne soldiers on, all we could do is sit back and wait as do all the other soldiers' families and friends do. The tears came much easier that day only because we knew the 101st Airborne from Ft. Campbell, KY remains a family whether we are at war or not.

We remained in constant contact with friends of the 101st on the Internet until some word had come through about the soldiers. It's hard to wait. We spent part of the morning on the phone to Ft. Campbell. Throughout the day people popped in on line, but it wasn't the person we wanted to talk to! Soon word came and PFC Adam Hetrick was O.K. As the word circulated that day the news was not good for our boys here at home.

We wish to extend our deepest sympathy and prayers to the family of 2nd Lieutenant Jeremy Wolfs family of Menomonie and the other two young mens families from Wisconsin. Our hearts go out to the rest of the 101st Airborne families who are waiting for news of their loved ones.

My brother had flown many missions with 2nd Lieutenant Jeremy Wolf and had said more than once that he was an all around great guy and someone you could count on to watch your back. 2nd Lieutenant Jeremy Wolf will be missed greatly by his family and friends. But most of all His family, his band of brothers still in Iraq.


Part Four.

Happy Holidays to everyone from PFC Adam W. Hetrick. As our holidays creep closer the long awaited words from a soldier in Iraq are very welcome. With the Internet availability, now our thoughts are easily conveyed over the lines daily.

Adam Had a chance to call home on Thanksgiving. All eight nieces had a chance to chat and of course Mom and Dad and the rest of the family took their turns. A most important call came on Sat. Dec.6th to wish his Dad a “Happy Birthday”. Adam and his dad had quite a chat, which was needed by both. Adam had said it was raining there and it was starting to get colder. The temperature was about 40 degrees.

As people stop and chat with us, their concern about Adam is genuine. We can't thank the people enough. Once again people from outside the community have showed their support in contributing non -perishable goods and monetary donations to help ship gift packages to Adams platoon trying to help make their holiday a little merrier. Adam seems to be on a countdown as to when he will be home, but like everything else it is subject to change.

No one realizes what parents, husbands, wives and siblings go through until you have lived the experience yourself. The War may have ended in May of this year 2003, but our soldiers are still losing their lives and the BIG ACE may have been captured but that is not bringing our soldiers home sooner.


We would like to share part of a letter from the commander of the Army's 101st  infantry Division.


“Let me remind you that your husbands and sons are doing a tremendous job in accomplishing their missions. They are true combat veterans who live life where they are under a constant threat and are in harsh conditions. They are deprived of the normal comforts of life that many take for granted. But being true professionals, they have all quietly soldiered on. Be proud of them and their sacrifice and dedication to their nation. I am proud to be their commander. They are true professionals who perform to the high standards of the many great warriors who served in the unit of other wars. We are proud to be part of the great legacy of veterans of the 327th Infantry Regiment. I am proud of all the NO SLACK family members back home. Your support is critical to our safety and morale. I ask that everyone continue their prayers and great support through the holiday season. God Bless, LTC Jim Johnson NO-SLACK-6

We have chosen not to celebrate Christmas until PFC Hatrick comes home/ He has sacrificed a lot for his family and our nation and us giving up one night of the year till he comes home, is nothing!

Remember the next time you buy your children new clothes or shoes, or go out to eat, or perhaps use a public restroom, how wonderful it makes you feel to have such a luxury. Adam has told many stories of young children going naked in the streets and wading in human sewage up to their knees. After seven months of fighting for his country, wading through sandstorms he was glad to see indoor plumbing. It's a rough world out there and we only see what we want to see. Look in the mirror, what do you see?



A Soldier's Story- Part five


We received our call to meet our son's plane on February 10, 2004. PFC Adam Hetrick was finally coming home. We were to meet his plane at Ft. Campbell, KY at 6{05 p.m. Thursday, February 12, 2004.

NO SLACK, IS BACK, FROM IRAQ!!

The most wonderful thing appeared before our eyes. It wasn't a bird or Superman, but a huge World Continental plane carrying approximately 400 soldiers from the  “NO SLACK” 101st Airborne Air assault Brigade. You can't imagine the chills that came over us when the announcer at the airfield said, “your soldiers are 10 minutes out,” meaning just 10 minutes and our son would be back on U.S. Soil after fighting on the front line in Iraq for a year. Never let is be said that the U.S. Army doesn't go all out for their soldiers. An unguessable amount of family and friends lined the airfield as we watched the huge winged bird land, and the cheers roared and the flags and signs waved while the 101st Airborne Band played patriotic songs as our sons and daughters finally returned home to us.

What you can't imagine is everything you see on TV as the soldiers come home to the huge welcome is not a dream, but a magnificent sight. There were so many newborn infants meeting their daddies for the first time, and we were meeting our son (our baby) who had grown into a wonderful, caring human being, protecting and serving his country to the best of his ability. Fighting with his comrades of the 101st Airborne, they lost 60 young men and women (the most casualties lost during the first year of the war) and over 500 wounded. So there were heartaches, heartbreaks and oh, so many memories.

As our soldiers came down the ramp, the anxiety of waiting was almost overwhelming. But, soon we saw Adam and it would be another 45 minutes or so before we could touch and hold him. The Soldiers paraded into this enormous airplane hanger decorated with flags, signs, flowers, balloons and refreshments. They lined up in formation and as we waited for the last soldier to file in, the crowd stood and the cheers became silent. A young man stood at the microphone and sang “God Bless the U.S.A.” We were greeted by the commander of the 101st and he told us that the 101st had experienced the most casualties during the first year and talked of the hundreds of injuries to the 101st.

The NO SLACK and U.S. Army song were sung and then the wait was over. The soldiers broke rank and found their families. The tears were of joy and the hugs forever. Our soldiers were allowed to spend 20 minutes with us and then they got back into formation and left for their two hour debriefing.


While they were being debriefed, we were being briefed as to what to expect from our soldier. None of the soldiers were allowed to drive the first night back and we were told to remind them that the “red lights” do mean “stop” as in Iraq it was full steam ahead.

We had four wonderful days to spend with Adam and he is back on base at Ft. Campbell, KY, doing what he does best, protecting our country.

Pfc. Hetrick will be home on a 30-day leave starting March 13. He's looking forward to meeting and greeting each and every one fo you who have given him your support throughout the past year. Keep your eyes wide open as to when our hero welcome will be.  We're hoping the stars and stripes will be flying high!

The 101st Airborne brought home over 13,000 men and women in the past ten days.

We talked with a gentleman from the Vietnam War and he had been at the airport everyday to greet every soldier. He said to us, “You know you have a “Hero” getting off that plane and I hope everyone realizes that where you are from!”: He was a wonderful man and the only thing we regret is we didn't get his name. He had more pride in his heart than you could ever imagine.

Please remember all the soldiers in your every day prayers and pray that all our soldiers will be home soon.
God Bless the U.S.A. Our mission Accomplished/



© Copyright 2008 New Beginnings... (lutz06 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469019-A-soldiers-story-from-Iraq