*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469332-Artists-Rendering-Part-5
Rated: 18+ · Other · Mystery · #1469332
The story continues (again)
Chapter Seventeen

Rebecca found a disheveled and relatively unkempt Shelly when she entered the staff room that morning.
"Shelly? Everything okay?" she asked tentatively.
"Oh, yeah," she sighed. "I'm fine really. Just couldn't find my keys this morning. Eduardo had to give me a ride to work." Rebecca wondered why this would take such a dramatic toll on her appearance. Shelly must have caught the puzzled expression on her face because she continued speaking.
"I was locked out of my apartment. Didn't get a chance to change or do my hair or anything like that."
"Where were you?"
"With Eduardo," and a naughty smile spread across her face. Rebecca rolled her eyes and went to place her things on the shelf. Remembering their conversation the day before, she felt a twinge of guilt.
"Shelly," she turned and looked at her with a repentant expression. "I never should have suggested Eduardo would..."
"It's okay. Really. I don't blame you."
"I just don't know what to think these days."
"If I were you, I would have blamed him too. Frankly, everyone's suspect in my opinion. Even Prince Charming."
"I told him last night about the pictures."
"Really? How'd he react?"
"He's trying to act like it's nothing to worry about, but he's pretty upset about it. Won't leave me alone now."
"Maybe that's good."
"Well, you won't hear me complaining."
They left the staff room and Shelly set to work checking items back into the computer and placing them on a cart for Rebecca.
"Anything new?" Shelly asked and Rebecca knew precisely what she was referring to.
"Two actually. One of me leaving the police station yesterday. One of me sleeping."
"Creepy."
"Yeah. Detective Rothko is checking for prints in my apartment."
"In your apartment? Why?"
"The last one was on my kitchen table when I woke up this morning." Shelly froze and said nothing.
"He was watching you sleep?"
"Maybe. The picture wasn't exactly reality, but Detective Rothko thinks this guy's taking reality and distorting it to fit his own deranged idea of what reality is."
"Josh is right not to leave you alone."
Shelly worked on in silence leaving Rebecca to her thoughts. No longer the calming getaway she once considered them, she nervously placed the books on the towering shelves. It seemed the maze of books only provided countless hiding places and dark corners. She found herself sticking to the circulation desk more than usual. As lunchtime neared, they were surprised by a visit from a frazzled detective.
"Ah, Rebecca, I'm glad I caught you. I was afraid you might have left for lunch already. Here are your keys. I locked up for you." He placed her keys on the desk with shaky hands.
"Did you find anything?"
"Lots. Lots. Of course, most of it is probably garbage. I'd imagine most of the prints I found were probably yours. As soon as I can run them through the system, I'll let you know what I find. In the meantime,"
"I know. Be careful." He gave her a concerned look before turning and leaving.
"I don't think he's telling you everything," Shelly observed.
"You got that feeling to?"
"Yeah. He looked really nervous. I've never seen a cop that nervous before. Wonder what's up."
Before she could wonder along with Shelly, Josh entered the same door the detective had just left. He greeted Rebecca with a kiss. She blushed fiercely knowing Shelly was watching the entire exchange.
"Ready?" he asked her.
"Let me get my purse."
They found their way back to Antonio's where the jolly owner gave them the royal treatment yet again. Knowing their meal would be on the house, Rebecca wondered just how far their special evening had set Josh back financially.
"Shelly didn't seem herself today," Josh observed.
"She just had a late night. New boyfriend you see."
"Ahh. Young people these days. They just don't know how to take these things slow," Josh joked giving her a significant look. She momentarily lost herself in his eyes and suddenly wished they were alone, preferably on a bed. She blushed at the thought. Josh smiled at her and she wondered if he had any inkling of what she had just been thinking about.
They finished their meal quietly exchanging looks that expressed more than words ever could. He held her close as they walked back, his embrace growing tighter the closer they came. When the time of parting came, Josh kissed her with a kiss that expressed more than looks ever could.
"I'll see you at five," he whispered leaving her unable to articulate anything intelligible.

Chapter Eighteen

"Decided to stay here for lunch?" Rebecca asked Shelly as she entered the staff room. Shelly was sitting morosely at the table nibbling on a salad.
"Like I'm about to go out in public looking like this."
"You look fine. Certainly better than I would in your position." Shelly merely rolled her eyes. "No sign of your keys yet, huh?"
"No. I can't for the life of me remember where I left them." Then, her eyes brightening, she added, "So how'd lunch go?"
"It went."
"Oh please. You're glowing. Again. You really are head over heels for this guy, aren't you."
"I suppose I am," she admitted.
Deciding her salad was a lost cause, Shelly tossed it in the trash and they left the room. The afternoon drifted lazily by. Rebecca's thoughts alternated between blissful recollection of time spent with Josh and horrible thoughts of a stranger watching her sleep. Meanwhile, she found herself glancing over her shoulder more than usual. The constant feeling of being watched made it difficult to concentrate on her daydreams.
"You found them!" an ecstatic voice echoed through the room followed by shushing noises from the few patrons trying to read in peace. Thrilled to have an excuse to not be alone, Rebecca made her way back to the circulation desk to see what all the fuss was about.
"You must have dropped them in my car," a man with a thick accent purred. Rebecca saw him accept a kiss from Shelly, whisper something in her ear, and leave.
"He didn't stay long," Rebecca observed.
"Couldn't. He's got to get back to work. Look," she held up her keys. "I left them in his car!"
"Well, that's good."
"Excuse me," a quiet voice interrupted them. He was small, timid, and looked remarkably like a mouse. His hands shook as he fumbled with his bag.
"Oh, I'm sorry," Shelly chimed placing her keys in a drawer. "How may I help you?"
"I found this on one of the tables in the back. Thought I ought to turn it in." He took a yellow envelope out of his bag, placed it on the desk, and walked out of the building. Neither spoke as they looked at the envelope.
Finally Rebecca picked it up and opened it. Again, Rebecca wore the lacy nightgown. This time it was while she placed books on shelves. As she stood on tiptoe, the hem of the gown rose above her waist. Rebecca flushed and felt sick. Shelly glanced at the picture and scowled.
"You don't suppose he..." Shelly began.
"Surely not. He'd have to be pretty dumb to walk right up and hand this to me."
"Maybe he figured you'd think that. Maybe he thinks if he were that obvious, you'd never even think of accusing him?"
"That's kind of a stretch."
"Still. It's something. You should tell the police."
"I'll talk to Detective Rothko later. He still has to get back with me about those prints he found."
"I've been thinking about that," Shelly began timidly.
"And?"
"Maybe you should try to talk to someone else at the station. I don't trust that detective guy."
"What makes you say that?"
"Woman's intuition?" she shrugged.
"I might try that. Two minds are better than one anyway, right?"
"Right."
Rebecca folded up the envelope and buried it in her purse. She wanted to burn it, but thought that might be considered destroying evidence. Not willing to venture off on her own again, she stuck close to the circulation desk the rest of the afternoon.
Not until Josh appeared on the steps a few minutes before five did a smile show itself on Rebecca's face.
"Go ahead and go," Shelly said. "Nothing to do here anyway."
Rebecca didn't need telling twice. She practically ran to the staff room, grabbed her purse and rushed out the door. Josh took her in his arms and spun her around kissing her.
"It's good to see you too," he joked.
"Let's do something," she said.
"Like what?"
"I don't care. I just don't feel like going home right now."
"I think I have an idea."

Chapter Nineteen

"For then the night will pay the hopeless longing of the day," Josh finished and Rebecca sighed. They sat curled up under a tree and she leaned back against his chest as he read. Two Chinese take-out boxes lay forgotten on the grass beside them.
"Read another," she swooned.
"Richard Aldington's Prelude," He began. "How could I love you more? I would give up even the beauty I have loved to well that I might love you better." She relaxed against him holding his free hand in hers, his other hand holding up the book he was reading from. She only half-listened to his words. They blended together forming a soft melody that mingled with the gentle breeze and caused her heart to flutter.
Only when the sun had gone to bed and there was no longer enough light to read by did they depart from their spot beneath the tree. They walked slowly through the grounds in the general direction of their apartment building.
"How's business going?" she asked.
"Eh, it's going. Construction should take about a month. The shop's kind of crazy at the moment."
"I've been keeping you from it." She felt a twinge of guilt.
"It does just fine without me," he assured her. "It's a well-oiled machine," he added proudly.
"Well good. Now I don't have to feel bad about keeping you all to myself."
They walked on in silence. She felt completely at peace in his arms, as if they were the only people in the world.
"By the way," he began as he opened the door to their building for her. "You never did answer my question." A naughty smile spread across his face, though he tried hard to hide it.
"What question?" She pressed the up button for the elevator.
"When do I get to see that nightgown on you?"
"What nightgown?" She knew perfectly well which one he was referring to.
"The little lacy number."
"I never bought it," she admitted and they stepped into the elevator.
"Oh?"
"I bought something much better," she added with a smile.
"Really? When do I get to see that?"
"When I feel like showing you," she said casually and pulled him close and kissed him. The room spun around her as they kissed and she never noticed the door opening. The sound of someone clearing their throat interrupted them.
"Oh. Hi Lisa," Rebecca blushed. She and Josh stumbled out of the elevator. Josh avoided Lisa's piercing gaze.
"I was just heading out," Lisa muttered absently as she glared at him.
"Well... I'll see you later then." They turned and walked quickly down the hall. Somehow Rebecca felt as though she were a teenager again getting caught making out under the school bleachers. She wished Lisa didn't get to her this much.
"She really doesn't like me," Josh mentioned.
"She's got no room to talk." Rebecca unlocked her door and they went inside.
"What do you mean?"
"She's been seeing some mystery guy she won't tell me about. They fight a lot."
"What about?"
"I don't really know. I just saw him storm out late one night."
"You've got a message," he observed the blinking light on her phone.
"It can wait," and she pulled him close and kissed him deeply. She tried to show him with her kiss just how much she had been longing for him all day. She pulled his shirt off as they moved toward the couch. The phone began ringing and she ignored it. His fingers began unbuttoning her blouse. Only one remained when the phone started ringing again.
"Maybe you should answer," he suggested. She gave an annoyed sigh and reached for the phone.
"What?" she blurted.
"Rebecca?"
"Yes."
"This is Detective Rothko. I've been trying to contact you for a number of hours."
"Sorry. I've been out."
"I just wanted to know that we got an i.d. on those prints."
"Really?"
"Yes. One set we couldn't get an i.d. on. We assume they are yours, seeing as there were so many. The other set belong to a Joshua Stevenson. Are you familiar with this man?"
"Yes actually, he's right here with me now."
"He is?" He sounded shocked and angry at the same time.
"Yes."
"Rebecca, I'd be careful if I were you. You don't want to go messing around with Mr. Stevenson." She stood up and began pacing the room.
"First, I don't 'go messing around' with anyone. Second, why?"
"He's got a record."
"What kind of record?"
"Assault."
"Excuse me?"
"A woman reported an attempted rape. She had bruises on her wrists and everything. Unfortunately, no charges were ever filed. Apparently Mr. Stevenson found a so-called witness. In a strange coincidence, the witness's debts were wiped clean the following week."
"Are you telling me..."
"He's a dangerous man, Rebecca. Stay clear of him."
"Thank you, Detective." She hung up the phone.
"I can only imagine what that was about." Josh spoke up. She didn't know what to say. Josh would never do anything like that.
"That was Detective Rothko. He says you have a record."
"Oh. That. Well, I guess it was going to come up eventually. Might as well get it all out in the open. You might want to sit down."

Chapter Twenty

"Her name was Nicole. We went on a couple of dates, and it didn't take long for me to find out she wasn't my type. She, on the other hand, had a completely different idea of where we were heading. I thought, maybe if I let her down gently in a public place, there would be less of a scene. I was wrong. Very wrong." He shook his head sadly.
Rebecca stood on the opposite side of the room, still unsure what to believe. She wanted the truth, whatever the truth might be.
"She actually started screaming, right there in the middle of the restaurant. The hitting didn't start until we got outside."
"You hit her?"
"No. Nothing like that. She hit me. Nearly broke my nose. Anyway, I tried to get her back to the car so I could take her home. Clearly, she wasn't taking the rejection well."
His eyes stared into thin air as if visualizing the entire scene unfolding before him.
"I never did get her in the car. She took off. The next morning, a couple of cops came to my apartment. Said she told them I raped her. I was arrested and put in jail. It wasn't until Antonio told them what really happened that they let me out."
"What about the bruises?"
"I told you, she was hitting and fighting me. I had to hold her arms. I guess I must have held on too tight. I swear, I never intentionally hurt her. Charges were never filed. The whole thing was bogus."
She pondered his story. It made sense. He really didn't seem the type to do something so horrible. Could he be telling the truth? Could she trust him?
"Rebecca," she looked up at him as he crossed the room and stood inches from her. "Do you believe me?"
She looked into his eyes. They pierced her soul, pleading with her. Finally, slowly, she nodded. He took her in his arms and held her tight. His lips found hers and he kissed her softly.
"Thank you," he said with a voice barely above a whisper.
They curled up on the couch and talked for hours. She told him what the detective had found, or rather hadn't found. He told her he wasn't surprised and she agreed. Eventually they simply cuddled while watching the stars through her patio door.
She awoke the following morning fully clothed in her bed. She got up and went to the living room where she found Josh asleep on her couch. She smiled and began making a pot of coffee. As the aroma filled the apartment, she heard Josh stirring.
"Good morning," he whispered in her ear from behind her as he wrapped his arms around her waist. She turned to face him and gave him a quick peck on the lips.
"Good morning. You didn't have to sleep on the couch, you know."
"Didn't feel right to leave you here all alone," he shrugged.
"You could have slept in the bed," she felt her face flush as she said it.
"Thought you might hit me if I tried."
They sipped their coffees on the patio and watched the sunrise. She thought long and hard before coming to her decision. She stood up, opened the patio door, and went inside. Josh followed her as she found the phone and began dialing.
"Who are you calling?" he yawned.
"Work. I think I'm coming down with something," she winked at him.
Josh went back to his apartment to shower and change as she did the same. She struggled to chose the right outfit and finally settled on black trousers and a dark blue blouse. She then took it all off and instead put on a pair of jeans and a sweater. She was on the verge of changing again when she heard his knock.
"So what are we doing, anyway?" he asked as he walked in the door.
"Don't really know. Any ideas?"
"A few."
"Then surprise me." She finished getting ready, grabbed her purse, and they walked out the door. She froze when she saw it.
"Um, Josh, was that there when you got here?" She pointed at the yellow envelope that had been crumpled by the door. He picked it up for her.
"I didn't see it."
"Did you see anyone in the hall?"
"No." He held it out for her to take. She considered tossing it in her apartment and forgetting about it until she returned later, but decided against it. She opened the envelope and took out the picture within.
Again, she wore the lacy nightgown. It seemed the artist was particularly fond of it now and would draw her in nothing else. She lay curled up asleep on her couch and leaned against what at first glance appeared to be a big black pillow. Yet, as she looked closer, she saw it had the shape of a man. It was Josh again.
"But how?" she began as Josh examined the picture.
"Your blinds were open. Anyone who wanted to could have been watching us."
"Josh, I don't think I can take much more of this."
"I know," He stuffed the picture back in its envelope and tossed it in her apartment before closing the door. "Like I said though, I won't let anything happen to you."

Chapter Twenty-One

Josh took her out to breakfast before they went to the mall and window-shopped. He offered to buy her anything, but she refused. Regardless of what he said, she still felt bad for all the money he had spent on her already. Despite her protests, he slipped away to a store while she was in the restroom. When she found him, he was carrying an unmarked bag and wore a self-satisfied grin.
"Come on," she begged again. "What's in the bag?"
"You'll find out later." He pretended to be annoyed, but failed miserably. Clearly he loved the game.
After a quick lunch in the food court, he drove them back to campus. They found their way to the university's art gallery and browsed the paintings, sculptures, and other works. She tried to ignore the fact that every drawing, every painting, reminded her of the growing collection on her dresser at home.
"You okay?" Josh asked her. "You seem troubled."
"Sorry. I just don't seem to be in the mood for this today." He seemed to understand and they found their way back to the apartment building. They lingered by his car. He held her and she marked the passing time with kisses.
"I'd love to pamper you all day, but I've got to do a little work on that car. All I have to do is replace one part. Do you mind?" he asked between kisses gesturing at the dilapidated car parked next to his. It was the same car that he had been working on for more than a week.
"Not at all." In fact, she was thrilled with the prospect of watching him work. She hadn't seen him drenched in sweat in a while and was beginning to miss it.
"I guess this is as good a time as any to give you this. I hope you like it." He handed her the unmarked bag sheepishly, then grabbed his tools out of his trunk. She opened the bag and looked inside. Two books lay at the bottom of the bag. The first was the book of poetry he had been reading to her the day before. The second was the same Pride and Prejudice she had been longing for at the little bookstore they had walked to.
"Thank you, Josh." She kissed him before he stripped off his shirt and set to work. She pretended to relax on the hood of his car, skimming through the book of poetry. However, her eyes rarely fell on the words. They were far too distracted. She could hardly look away from him. More than once, he looked up and saw her staring. He would smile and then set back to work.
"You sure make it hard to concentrate," he called to her.
"Sorry," she called back.
"Liar." She smiled and didn't argue. She put the book back in the bag, and continued watching him. This time she didn't try to hide it. She longed for him and wanted him to know it.
"Remind me not to let you watch me work anymore," he called without looking up.
"Now why would I do something like that?" she asked innocently. He was beginning to sweat, yet the air was remarkably cool. This was far too much fun. She slid off his car and walked over too him. She ran her fingers up his spine and he shivered.
"That's it. I give up." He straightened up and let the hood of the car slam down. "You are too much," he told her sternly failing to hold back a smile.
"Tell me to stop," she pressed herself against him and looked deeply into his eyes. He failed to give an intelligible answer. He fumbled with his tools and dropped more than one as he attempted to put them away. Then he grabbed his shirt and the bag of books and threw his arm around her. They went inside and she couldn't resist toying with him as they waited for the elevator.
"You are too much," he muttered.
"You said that already," she laughed as they stepped into the elevator. Seizing the moment they were alone, she grabbed the waistband of his jeans and pulled him close, kissing him deeply. He dropped the bag of books and wrapped his arms around her. As the door dinged open, she broke away from him and began walking down the hall without him.
"Thanks for a wonderful day," she called back to him.
"Oh no you don't." He quickly caught up to her and they practically ran to her apartment door. She unlocked the door, tossed in the unopened yellow envelope, and pulled him inside. He dropped the bag of books on the table and followed her to her bedroom.
He refused when she attempted to undo his pants, instead lying her on gently on the bed and kissing every inch of her he could. He started with her lips and moved down her neck. He slipped her sweater off and kissed her left arm down to her finger tips. Then he kissed her right arm starting at the fingertips and slowly making his way back up. She didn't notice him do it, but by the time he reached her shoulder, he had removed her bra. He kissed one breast, and then the other before finding his way to her navel.
On and on he continued until not a shred of clothing remained on her body. Long before he reached her toes, she began trembling.
"Are you okay?" he asked softly climbing up to lay beside her.
"Mmmm hmmm," she answered with closed eyes. His fingers continued to caress her body. They skimmed across her skin like they would across the surface of water. With every touch, she trembled slightly more.
"Are you cold?" he asked.
"Not one bit." Cold was one thing she was not.
"I have to leave soon."
"But why?"
"You know why." She nodded. She knew. She didn't pretend to understand, but she knew.
"Will you be okay while I'm gone?" She nodded.
"You will come back, right?"
"Of course. I just need a breather." He kissed her and helped her up. She put on a robe and saw him to the door. He kissed her once more before whispering "I'll see you later," and left. She staggered to the bathroom, turned on the water, and let the robe drop to the floor.

Chapter Twenty-Two

Rebecca sat on her sofa with an opened envelope in her lap. She looked at the paper which had been inside. She lay on the same satin sheets, wearing the same lacy nightgown. The smile was gone from her face and one strap hung off of her shoulder. Ribbons were wrapped around her wrists in a pretty bow clearly holding her wrists together. Her ankles were likewise bound. Her eyes pleaded with an unseen foe.
Rebecca jumped when her phone rang.
"Hello?" she answered with a shaky voice.
"Becca," Shelly sounded far away. She sobbed. "Becca."
"Shelly? Are you alright?"
"No. I'm sorry Becca."
"Where are you? What happened?"
"I threw it away. I know I shouldn't have. I was trying to protect you and I threw it away."
"Shelly, talk to me girl. Where are you?"
"My house. I think I need an ambulance. Becca... please forgive... please..." A loud clunk told Rebecca she had dropped the phone.
"Hold on Shelly! I'm getting help!" She yelled and hoped Shelly would hear her. She hung up and immediately called 911 and gave them Shelly's address. She then grabbed her keys and ran out the door, running right into Josh.
"Josh! It's Shelly!"
"What? What happened?"
"I don't know. She just called me. She sounded hurt. I've got to go find her."
"I'll drive you." And without another word, they rushed out. Rebecca frantically gave him directions and wished they would go faster. They arrived in front of Shelly's house as they were loading her into an ambulance.
"What do you want to do?" Josh asked her quietly.
"Just follow them." He obeyed without saying a word. He glanced at her occasionally with a worried look on his face. She couldn't see why he should be worried about her. It was Shelly who was in the back of an ambulance. She just wanted to get to the hospital and find out what had happened to her.
When they reached the hospital, Josh let her out before searching for a parking spot. Rebecca rushed inside and demanded to know where they had taken Shelly.
"Excuse me?" The nurse looked offended.
"I'm sorry. I just really need to see her. Please. Where is she?"
"They're working on her now. You won't be able to see her until they're done. She'll be in room 319. You can wait for her upstairs."
"Thank you." Rebecca turned around, stopped, turned back and asked, "Do you know what happened to her?"
The nurse looked at her, clearly wondering if she should say anything.
"Please, she called me. She sounded hurt, but wouldn't say what happened. Please, what happened to her?"
"Looks like rape," the nurse said kindly. "Got beat up pretty bad."
"Looks like? You don't know?"
"She hasn't said anything yet. They won't know until they examine her. I believe a detective is already upstairs waiting to talk to her."
"Thank you." Rebecca turned and walked away. She found her way to the elevators and was waiting for one when Josh caught up with her.
"Hey, did you find out anything?" he asked gently.
"They're working on her. We're going to wait for her upstairs."
"Do you know what happened?"
"She..." Rebecca began, but stopped and nodded instead. On one hand, she had a pretty good idea who was behind this. On the other, she had no idea who that person was. All she knew was that it was her fault Shelly got involved. Josh put his arm around her and held her close as they rode the elevator in silence. When they stepped off the elevator, they saw Detective Rothko waiting near the nurse's station.
"I'm going to go find the vending machines," Josh muttered and slipped away. She understood and was grateful to avoid a scene, but she wished he could stay by her side.
"Rebecca, I figured you would come," Detective Rothko greeted her.
"Good evening, Detective."
"You really need to get that cell phone."
"I know. I will."
"So Shelly called you?" Rebecca nodded.
"What did she say?"
"She wanted me to forgive her for something. Said she threw something in the trash. She wasn't exactly making a lot of sense when I talked to her."
"I see. Do you know what happened to her?"
"The nurse said it looked like rape."
"Yes. She's kind of a mess. They've got her sedated. Unfortunately, she's unable to talk right now, but as soon as she's coherent, I need to talk to her." He turned to the nurse and asked her to call him as soon as Shelly woke up. The nurse promised she would and he walked away.
"Can I go in?" Rebecca asked nervously.
The nurse nodded and Rebecca cautiously entered room 319. She broke down in tears before collapsing into a chair near the bed. A few minutes later, Josh entered the room and pulled up a chair next to her. He opened a soda and handed it to her. She sipped it, set it on the bedside table and curled herself into his arms. Together they watched Shelly's limp form and waited.
© Copyright 2008 Esmerelda (enchanted0723 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469332-Artists-Rendering-Part-5