*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469714-The-storm-chapter-3
Rated: ASR · Other · Personal · #1469714
A box is found at the front door.
There was the noise again. They had never, in all their worldly experiences heard anything like it at all. It had a familiar tone about it. Steven peeked out the window, carefully; not wanting to be seen. It s not that he was frightened or anything. Far from it.
He could not see a thing. It was nothing. Nothing was making that distinct noise, and nothing could be seen doing it. Emily was not so convinced. She slowly turned the knob, and would have pulled open the door if it was not for that thing making its noises again. But she resolved herself. With Steven behind, watching with big, wide, open eyes, she opened the front door. Steven stepped out from behind her and took the first look. He looked about the front of the house but was not very long before he identified the source of that mornings consternation. A small box. A chunk of wood had been left on it from the lightening strike at the tail end of the storm. Steven moved carefully towards the box. As he peered into the top of the box the little noise came out of it again. He jumped back. Just then, as both Emily and Steven looked on, a strange thing appeared out of the box that made them both look at each other in total amazement. It was a hand. A little childs hand. A little child who turned out to be a little girl child. With blonde hair. Now, Emily and Steven both had long dark hair and neither had seen such a thing as golden hair. But neither had they ever seen a lovely little girl, for that matter. They thought they were the only two of their sort in the world.
"Aa" said the small child.
And the two new foster parents nodded together as they looked lovingly at her.
"We must give her a name." said Emily.
"She was brought us by the storm." said Steven.
"She is beautiful." said Emily
They could not think of a name that day. They could not think of a name all week. They did not come up with a name for that beautiful little stranger until one day when Emily said to Steven
"I am taking one of my baths totoday, do you mind if I take Barbara?"
And there it was. A child was named. Barbara.
© Copyright 2008 thebiga (thebiga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469714-The-storm-chapter-3