*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469856-Dream-Lost
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #1469856
A work in progress. Only a small portion of Part I of a 3 part story I'm writing.
                                                    Dream Lost:
                                                Part I: Darkness
         The room is dark.  The only light is cast  from a small lantern in the corner, it's electrically powered bulb bathing the three of us in an eerie, orange light.. The events which lead up to this moment seem so distant now. I can hardly remember what I'm doing here and why before me the world is growing ever darker for one of this world's tormented souls. It is the end for this miserable creature. I reflexively let my wrist twitch and with that I feel flesh give way.  The stink of my victim's breath stings my nostrils as wet droplets of saliva pepper my face. He's screaming out his last breath as my dagger continued to course through him; it's cold, lifeless blade pinging off vital organs as though they were bumpers in a pinball machine. His pale, green skin contorts around his eyes as they bulge outward, seeming as though they might pop out at any moment.
         As I expected ,his struggling hands, which were  firmly wrapped around my neck, went weak and he began to float backward. The blade sung as his flesh pulled away from it until, when finally he was free of it, the song ended abruptly. As this creature hit the ground a cloud of dust arose. The room grew instantly brighter as the lantern's gift reflected off the tiny particles of matter. And so, the beast was revealed for it's true self. This was a Morku demon, a blight on the world or at least this part of it.
Four hundred years ago in the year 2053 they appeared seemingly out of nowhere and conquered this continent and subjugated it's people. It was once a great empire which ruled over much of this world with an iron fist. In the modern tongue it's known simply as Inmut or “vanished world” in the tongues of old. When the demons attacked they concentrated only on wiping out what it now called Central Inmut but, in the olden tongues was called North America. After it's defeat was made absolute the rest of the world seemed only to stand by and laugh, taking great joy in their newly regained sovereignty.
         As for me, I have seen many empires fall to wayside as new ones popped up like corn in an undersized plot. I've gone by hundreds of names in my lifetime  but, now I am known simply as William. To the Morku who have imprisoned this land and who will eventually move on to the rest of the world, I am known as Iktul the Betrayer. I have been the bane of their occupation since the moment they arrived. I am the resistance, I am hope, I am humanity. This is my story.
© Copyright 2008 Charles Hayward Jr. (chayward021508 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1469856-Dream-Lost