*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1470815-Demons-Among-a-Demon-Intro--chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Other · #1470815
Follow ghost hunter Alex Davis as he conducts the most disturbing case of his career.
                                              Introduction

    A recent news poll states that fifty-two percent of all Americans believe in ghosts, while another sixty-eight believe in the Devil or other form of demon. Is this belief derived from the presence of so many pop-culture television shows, whether fictional or reality programming? Could it be that, they have seen a ghost or witnessed something that altered their views? The same poll also shows that twenty-four percent of all Americans have seen or felt the presence of a ghost sometime in their life. Which ever category that you subscribe to, it is my experience as a paranormal investigator  that anything is possible whenever a ghost or demon is concerned, and that people as a whole, are capable of almost anything.

    While writing this book, it is not my intention to persuade you into joining those fifty-two to sixty-eight percent of Americans that believe in the supernatural. But, I do intend to persuade you to have an open mind to the idea and not to jump to conclusions about someone’s state-of-mind when they tell you that they have seen a
ghost.

    The story you are about to read is based partly from actual events  as well as, victim interviews. The names and locations have been changed to protect the victims, the investigation team and its associates.

    My name is Alex Davis; as a pagan minister, I have always believed in ghosts, demons, and many different forms of the so-called "non-fleshies."  So, when after several months of research, my wife suggested that we organize a local paranormal research group, I jumped at the idea. We started networking with other "ghost hunters" in and around the area. In the weeks to follow, we attended paranormal conventions and participated in several investigations with other groups. After a few weeks we were hooked. We ordered our equipment, bought our web space and soon our group was born.
      It took us no time at all to get our group of members together: graphic artist, college students, and a photographer, to name a few. It took even less time for other groups to start sending evidence for us to analyze. I guess that my extensive background, such as theosophy, and paganism, which was listed on the web page, resulted in confidence of my abilities, and the hope that my name would lend merit to their own projects. Picture after picture was sent to us to analyze. Electronic Voice Phenomena recordings known as EVP's soon followed. As these bits and pieces of evidence were sent to me, I found some to be genuine phenomena, but there was also a lot of fabricated, man-made bunk. So I decided to take the position of debunker in the group. If it was man-made evidence or trickery, I would surely prove it.

    Over the next several months we conducted small investigations of  haunted bridges, haunted roads and a few haunting’s in residential homes. While most of the residential investigations didn't pan out, for lack of evidence, there were a few unexplainable occurrences at one of the haunted bridges. Of course at the conclusion of our investigations and after our evaluation of evidence, we would post our findings and our conclusions on our web site. It didn't take long for our name to get around. Our organization was popping up on Internet sites from all around the country and on popular web search engines.  We even had paranormal Internet radio programs contacting us for interviews.
    But, no amount of training, be it religion, psychology, or some other scientific study, could prepare a person for the events that took place through out  those six traumatizing months. For us and the Spencer family it was pure hell.

    In the spring of 2007, Dr. Welch, a Parapsychology professor from a reputable north-eastern college, contacted us. Dr. Welch explained that he was involved with a group that conducted investigations in New York. He told us that a family in Plattsburgh had filled out one of his online questionnaires and claimed to have a haunting, which seemed to be of a demonic nature. He explained that he had conducted a telephone interview with the father and also had a colleague who practiced remote-viewing conduct a viewing of the house in question. Their group's preliminary findings suggested that there were possibly seven demonic entities haunting the family. Three of these entities were very strong and held sway over the other four, which were of lesser demonic hierarchy. Dr. Welch  explained to us that while he would love to head the investigation, it just wouldn't be possible because he and his group were six hours away from the residence.  So he asked us if we would accept the case, since we were only a two hour drive away. After consulting a well-known psychic friend of mine, who also agreed with their findings, we accepted.

    They say hind-sight is 20/20. If  I only knew then, what I know now, I would have told him to go to hell and hung up on him.  If there were things about the demonic world that I didn't believe in, after this investigation I believed and knew anything was possible.


                                                Chapter One

                                                  May 18-19

    The day started like every other Friday. Me dragging my tired ass out of bed at 5:45.  I take my shower, shave, and get dressed. The smell of gourmet coffee hitting my nose as I exit the shower. Kelsey as usual, reluctantly dragging herself out of bed after three taps on the snooze button. “Come on babe, time to get our son dressed and ready for school.”
    Finally, coffee in hand I walk out the door. Not noticing that it rained this morning, I slipped on the running board as I climb into the new Navigator we purchased this past weekend, spilling coffee down the front of my pants. “Damn it!” I laugh. Jamming to my favorite techno music playing on the satellite radio and sipping my coffee, I hit the interstate headed into the city for a long day of work.  Little did I know that this wouldn't be an ordinary Friday. It would be filled with confusion, fear, and at the same time, excitement, all because of one unexpected email.
    At 9:30 my cell phone rings and the nightmare begins. "Hello, this is Alex. Can I help you?"
    "Hey babe, its Kelsey."
    "I'm kind of busy.” I tell her. “What's up?"
    "I just wanted to find out if you were getting off on time tonight."
    "As far as I know.” I told her. “Why?  What’s up?"
  "We received an email about a new case a few minutes ago. It came from a parapsychology professor in New York City. It sounds kind of interesting." she told me, sounding excited.
    "That's cool. I will be home a little bit after four."
    "Okay babe. See ya then. Love ya."
    "Love you too Kelsey."

    The rest of the afternoon went by so slow. I was excited that we had a new case and that was all I could think about. I wished for something to keep my mind off her phone call. Any distraction to help the time go by. But, today had to be the day that my normally temperamental machine would run perfectly. Minutes drug on like hours.
    Finally it was three o'clock...time to go. I scanned my time card and changed clothes as quick as I could. I grabbed my coffee and headed out the door. I turned the Navigator out of the parking lot onto the highway noticing that a nasty thunderstorm was brewing. I turned on the radio to see if any storm warnings had been posted and began my hour drive home.  Kelsey, I hoped, would have most of the paperwork done and organized, the majority of our emails would be answered and she should have dinner about done. We can discuss the new case over our usual Friday spaghetti dinner.
    "Babe, I'm home. Damn, what smells so good? It doesn't smell like spaghetti."
    "Well, I figured that we would celebrate tonight. I fixed a couple of steak and fries. Dakota got picked up at school so we can work all weekend. He won't be home until Sunday night."
    "Cool. We can get some work done this weekend." I said. "So, tell me about this email."
    "Go get a shower first...you stink." she laughed.
    "Yea, you stink too." I retorted.

    As  we ate dinner, we talked about some of the up-coming events that our group had, and about a few fund-raisers we were planning for the group. We didn't talk about the new case at all. "Hey Alex, while I clear the table would you start some coffee?" Kelsey got up and began collecting the dishes.
    "Sure babe. So, tell me about this email."
    "As soon as the coffee is done." She replied.

  Reading this first email about the Spencer family and the paranormal activity that they claimed to be experiencing, sent chills up my spine. The questionnaire stated that the activity started three years ago after an old friend of Clay's (the father) showed up at the house after twenty years. Clay said that his friend had stayed only one night, but during his visit, he was seen by his son performing some sort of ritual. This ritual was supposed to have been a curse against his friend's parents. Clay believes that his friend opened  a portal of sorts or conjured something that now, will not leave. Over the past two years other family members and friends have seen something in the creek, glowing green and described it as the size of a small pig. One of these occurrences caused Clay's brother great stress and has kept him away from the house for over a year. The report goes on to state that the family was having a heated argument one evening over their son Justin and his behavior. During this argument Clay raised his hand to strike Justin, when all of a sudden, half of the lights in the house went out. The next day an electrician was called to the house to check for problems. The electrician received a severe shock during the inspection, but neither he nor the next electrician found any problems.

    Clay's wife, Betsy has claimed to hear voices calling her name and something growling in her face while she lays in her bed at night. She also claims that some mornings she will lay out clothes that she planned on wearing that day. She would lay  them on the bed, take her shower and when she came back to the bedroom the clothes would mysteriously be returned to the closet and drawers. Justin their son has claimed to have seen two separate ghosts in his bedroom and at times while trying to sleep, there has been a black, winged creature sitting on his bed. While Clay has related all of these things to the professor, has claimed to hear voices himself, and see figures moving about on the property...he is not scared or excited.  Sometimes he just figures if he ignores it,  it will go away.

    Dr. Welch also told us in the email that one of his clairvoyant associates read the email, and said that he did a remote viewing.  He claims that Justin has some untrained sensitivities, and that his associate has picked up on the presence of seven demonic entities. Three of these entities were very strong, and held sway over the other four, which were of lessor demonic hierarchy.

      Dr. Welch went on to write, "with the typical list of paranormal activities and the families willingness to talk endlessly about their experiences, he can't help but think that there is a lot of attention seeking going on and that this family is somewhat dysfunctional."

    My wife and I pondered the information for a couple of hours and then consulted one of our psychic colleagues to get her take on the situation. "Hello, is Tanya there?" I asked.    "This is Tanya." the voice on the other end replied.
    "Hey this is Alex."
    "Hi Alex, I had a feeling that you were going to call. What can I do for ya?"
    I thought for a moment, choosing my word carefully. I didn’t want to sound as if I didn’t believe anything that I had read in the email. "Well...Kelsey and I got this case handed over to us from a doctor in up-state New York today. The case intrigues us but, at the same time, its making us a bit nervous." I rambled on for an hour and a half. When I finally finished.

    "I can understand your reluctance in taking the case.  I feel like  something very dark is surrounding you.” she paused for a second.      “The number seven comes to my mind. It seems that there are at least seven demons involved and” she stopped talking. There was dead silence. “Legion!”
      "Tanya!" no answer. "Tanya!" silence.
  "Alex, please be careful. There is something about this case doesn't seem right. I feel there is danger involved. I keep hearing a young boy, he is repeating the name Legion." she sounded nervous.
    "Hmm. No one mentioned Legion before."
    "Do you know who Legion is?" she asked.
    "Yea. Unfortunately I do."
    "So what are you going to do?"
    "Well, I think we are definitely going to take the case. Would you be interested in consulting.?"
    "Sure. As long as it doesn't start troubling my son." she replied.
    "I understand. Okay, well I need to get going. I need to call Dr. Welch and let him know that we will take the case. I'll call you tomorrow."
    "Alex, tell Kelsey that Dakota is fine. It's only a cold."
    "Okay, sure will. Talk to ya later."
    "Bye Alex."
    "Bye."

    We hung up.  I poured myself a cup of coffee, sat down in my easy chair and started reading the email again.  This time highlighting, underlining, and jotting down notes all over the pages.  Could this family be suffering from schizophrenia or mass delusions?  What kind of relationship does the father have with the kids, his wife? Is anyone involved using drugs? I wrote note after note for hours while Kelsey napped on the couch.
   
    The night passed by quickly.  The next thing I knew it was Saturday morning.  I had spent the night drinking cup after cup of coffee and leafing through, reading chapters in just about every demonology and paranormal book on my shelves.  The excitement growing inside me almost radiated from my pores.  “5:30 a.m. Oh shit! Oh shit! I forgot to call Dr. Welch!”  I woke Kelsey. “Kelsey, I need you to call that professor and tell him that we are going to take the case.”
    “Ok. Damn! Give me a few minutes to wake up.  What time is it?”
    “5:31" I told her.
    “Have you slept at all?”
    “No.” I said.  “I have been up reading all night.  We have to take this case.  I feel like there is more to this than this family is admitting to.”  I stopped and thought for a minute.
    “I can’t call him yet it’s only 5:30 in the morning. I’ll call him around noon.” Kelsey told me.
      I didn’t answer.
    “Alex are you ok?” she asked. “Alex, talk to me.”
    “Yea, I’m ok.  Get yourself a cup of coffee and I will explain.”
   
    We took our coffee and headed out the back door onto our deck. Looking out across the lake, I took Kelsey’s hand in mind and together we  watched in awe as the sun ascended from what always looks like, its watery lair. We stood there watching until the sun had fully risen out of the lake. As we began walking to the wooded trail behind the house, I just couldn’t put my finger on what was troubling me so much. The morning dew was still fresh on the grass,  and a light mist still clung to the lake.  It was going to be a beautiful day. “I have been thinking about this whole Legion business that Tanya was talking about last night.” I told her. “She said that she just  kept seeing a young boy, sitting on the edge of a bed, repeating the name Legion almost like he was in a trance.  She said that she felt darkness surrounding us.  Then there was what Dr. Welch was telling us in the email about the presence of seven demons.”
    “Ok...what’s the problem?” she asked.
    “The problem is...” I mumbled and thought for a moment. “The problem is that there are a few different translations from the Bible about Legion.  One, translates, that he was made of many and the other translates that he was a singular demon.  Now, here is the thing that is troubling me.  Do you know how many different movies, video games, and comic books that are available to kids that reference Legion?”
    “No, not really but, I can name a few off the top of my head.”
    “Yea me too.  The point is, this kid could be dreaming some of this up.  Looking for attention from his parents.  The winged figure sitting on his bed.  Stuff from cartoons.”
    “Now Alex, you need to go into this with an open mind.”  Kelsey responded.
    “I know that but,  remember I am the skeptic of the group and they have already given me sufficient evidence to form my opinion.”
    “Understandable Alex, but what do you think about the things Tanya told you last night?”  She asked.
    “Ok, I’m not saying that there isn’t anything going on at this house.  I’m just saying that we need to look carefully at everything.  Take note of movies and books on the shelves.  What kinds of posters are on the walls?  What kinds of prescription drugs are in the house?  I want pictures of everything.”
    She agreed.  “We will have to make sure that everyone going in with us is aware of all this Legion business.  But, we should only take a few members with us.”
    “Definitely.” I agreed.  “I already have the three in mind.  But first we need to call and schedule a time with the Spencer’s.  Go out to their house, do our initial interview and you need to call Dr. Welch before lunch. When we get home, you call the Spencer’s and I’ll get a hold of the team.”
      “Ok.” she agreed.  “Lets head back to the house.  I need more coffee.”
© Copyright 2008 koen_balefire (koen_balefire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1470815-Demons-Among-a-Demon-Intro--chapter-1