*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1470957-Advertisments-effects
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Other · #1470957
A practice essay that deals with the affect of advertisment on my generation
Advertising is everywhere; it’s on TV, billboards, radio, and the internet. Advertisements are meant to attract people to a product and can be straight forward or can be subtle. Advertisements use the beautiful models and the perfect situation to affect the minds of adults and teens alike. By using certain strategies, advertisers can affect a teenager on a subconscious level and make the teenager’s own self doubt into profit. This is why advertisers market to my generation. My generation, my friends, have more loose money than adults and are more easily targeted by advertisers. My young generation has more physical developments and wants that advertisers can play off of. One of the first is our need to be sexually attractive and our sexual need.
Any teenaged generation is more easily influenced than an older one and my friends are no different. With our physiological doubts and developments, coupled with physical changes we are left easily manipulated. Advertisers play off of our new sexual wants and desires- the want to be beautiful and have beautiful people. They present news products by and with beautiful people. The models represent what teenagers want, a perfect body, not a body going through awkward changes. In short we begin to believe that if we buy this product, we will be that man or that girl. Advertisers make teenagers believe that by buying their product they can be or are as beautiful and attractive as the models they want to be or try to be with.
Advertisers further manipulate the sexual changes of my friends. Advertisers play off teenager’s curiosity and want for the opposite sex for the opposite sex. A good example would be two brands of deodorant. Deodorant A is not as good as deodorant B. Deodorant A doesn’t work as well during work outs or when the user sweats too much and itches. But Deodorant A tricks the young consumer by presenting an image of an attractive person who is surrounded by the opposite sex, mesmerized by their sudden found “attractiveness” from one product. This tricks teenagers to look past the flaws of the deodorant and to only see this new attractiveness. This further develops into a want for a perfect situation.
Another weakness that teenagers have is a lack of experience. We do not fully understand the world around us and our young age makes us easier to fool. Teenagers tend to want perfect situations because they believe that they are possible. Advertisers market the perfect situation and social life to us. Another advertising example is a difference between mouthwash A and B. Mouthwash A gives you brighter teeth and better breath but does not help your teeth like mouthwash B but advertisers create a moment of perfection. They may say that mouthwash A makes it more likely for your girlfriend or boyfriend to kiss you or make people hang around you more. These perfect situations are given to perfection driven teenagers.
Advertisers concentrate on the younger generation that is more manipulative and will fall for advertising tricks and lies. Our development makes us easier targets for advertisers and easier to influence. With our lack of experience, strong desire for perfection, and a want to be attractive with attractive people advertisers have found the perfect prey to influence. And advertisers know that if they can influence the people they can influence their wallet.
© Copyright 2008 Brokenhero (milesfranklin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1470957-Advertisments-effects