*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471053-The-Last-Ten-Seconds
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1471053
A story written by my 11 year old son.
The Last 10 Seconds

by

Reese G. Ralls

(A story by my 11 year old son)


I was hoping it was just a dream, a nightmare, but it was not a nightmare. It was a heck of a lot worse. I knew in the next ten seconds I was going to die.

I was a military humvee gunner for the United States at the time. As I watched in horror as the Iraqian humvee was about to smash into us at about 50 mph, they shot two of the wheels so we couldn't move. The captain was desperately trying to move the vehicle, but it was no use, because we knew in the next five seconds we were going to die.

I tried shooting at the humvee, but fear off balanced my shots. Ten seconds has never been so long. At the last two seconds, I screamed into the sky, "Help me, God!"

In that moment the enemy humvee crashed into us with incredible force. The impact of the truck made me go back seventy-five yards. Everything went completely black.

I awoke three weeks later in a hospital. I was unaware of what happened after the crash. I was happy to see all my family there. I was extremely sore, but I was able to smile at them. Then the doctor came in. I moaned, "What happened?"

The doctor said, "You were flung seventy-five yards out of the humvee. You've broken three ribs and both of your legs are broken."

Then my mom asked, "Is he going to be okay?" She was about to cry.

The doctor said, "He should recover in about two months. It's an absolute miracle that he lived, but his captain did not make it."

I said, "The Lord saved me. I screamed into the sky that day and asked God to help me. He answered my prayer."

The doctor said, "Then why didn't your commanding officer survive?"

I replied, "God has a place and time for us all. My job is still on Earth. My captain has a new mission in Heaven now."
© Copyright 2008 audra_branson (abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471053-The-Last-Ten-Seconds