*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471575-Cosmic-Awareness
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #1471575
Man and his planet seem to be islands floating in a sea of galaxies, stars, planets.
We live in a society that separates everything...each living organism on Earth is separated from every other living organism, each geographical location is separated from every other (each with its own flag and language), the stars in the galaxy, the galaxies, etc, etc...everything is separate and apart, nothing is unified, nothing is connected.
The reality of the matter is that everything is inter-connected. The Cosmos is a single living, breathing, thinking organism. Just as the human body is divided into cells, each having its own function, so, too, every thing in the Cosmos is an integral part of the cosmic whole. We are one.
In order to grasp the significance of the knowledge that the Cosmos is one entity and we are all integral parts of it, it is necessary to imagine why we are here, how we got here, what our task is and what we as individuals can do to embrace the notion of spiritual evolution and Cosmic Awareness.
Ego-centric and geo-centric thought so pervades our culture that we have fallen victim to a splintered view of the universe, a shattered perception of reality, an island mentality. The individual has become a sort of societal marionette, the strings of which are called "job', "relationship", "patriotism", "civic duty", "religion", etc,.etc.
The life, death, time, space continuum is a concept that embraces all that we see, know or imagine. Our 85 year window of mortality is an opportunity to see the Cosmos from one vantage point and avail ourselves of our inherent gift of perception to gain an insight into the collective purpose of the Living Cosmos.
Since man first walked the Earth he has gazed up at the stars and wondered. Wondered what it is all about, wondered why he is here, wondered how he is connected to everything else. When man started gathering into bands, tribes, societies, countries he fell under a myriad of taboos, laws, regulations, restrictions and morals. Gradually man gazed up at the stars less and less and wondered less and less until the point was reached that he simply forgot his true purpose and started paying attention to what society told him to do. He became a societal slave with no mind of his own. Now he devoted all his time to mundane pursuits and set about acquiring as many material things as possible and behaving as if all that mattered was instant gratification of perceived desires.
Some individuals, however, rejected the societal paradigm and struck out on their own to find their place in the Cosmos. These individuals kept the notion alive through the centuries that man is not an island, that the earth is not an island, that there is interconnectedness everywhere. At first these individuals were revered as soothsayers, oracles, etc. As time went by and empires rose and fell, these individuals were relegated to "safe" cubbyholes, such as religion, superstition, philosophy, "New Age", etc. Science then took over the propagation of the island mentality, perpetuating the separateness of all things.
© Copyright 2008 Celestial envoy (penseur at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471575-Cosmic-Awareness