*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471709-Foggy-Reality
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1471709
Waking up to a horrable nightmare
  It was a chilly October night as I drove down the long, foggy road, not knowing where it would lead. Not knowing how I ended up on the road. The only thing that I can think of was that I must have taken a wrong turn off of the main highway. My headlights, trying to shine through the thick fog, I spotted this old cemetery on the right side of the road.

  Looking toward the cemetery, I noticed a small figure sitting on one of the headstones. The closer I got, the tiny figure resembled a child. I thought to myself, “Why would this child be in a cemetery this late at night? Where are the parents?” proceeding to slow down; with the concern that this child might be lost. When my car came to a complete stop, I opened the door and got out. Not having any flashlight with me, I hoped to get enough light from the headlight’s to see my way to the child.

  As I slowly walked into the cemetery, my headlight's cascading a dim light thought-out the thick fog. I noticed the engraving on one of the headstones. It read “Brody James, December 31, 1982 - October 3, 2006.”

  Continuing to walk through the cemetery, more and more headstones appeared, with each one getting darker and darker as I pass. Remedy Kingston. Abby Moss. Van Parker. I had a hard time making out each name. With the help of a glare, I bent down and noticed that the passing date was the same as Brody James' I thought to myself, “Wow what a horrible tragedy, four young adults all passing on the same day.” 

  Gathering my thoughts, and turned my concerns on the child sitting on the headstone.  The further away from the car, the more my eyes started focusing in the dark. It was a young child that I saw. “Hey sweetie,” I said. “Why are you out here all alone?”  The child did not answer me. “Excuse me, can you tell me your name?” I still received no answer.  I stood there for a moment noticing that the adumbrate figure was indeed little girl. “Please, I am not going to hurt you.”

The little girl finally turned around, “My name is Eve.”

“Hi Eve, it is very nice to meet you. My name is Bella,” I told her. “Could I ask you a question? What are you doing out here all alone?” About that time we heard someone walking through the woods.

“I have to go,” Eve said.  “If I was you, I would run for your car, you don’t want him to get a hold of you.”

“Who are you talking about Eve?” By that time she vanished into the woods.  The noise was getting closer and closer. The sounds of footsteps crushing wilted leaves, and broken brush. I turned around and took off for my car.  The faster I ran, the louder the noise.  It was as if it echoed off the surrounding trees. Finally, I reached my car, jumped inside and locked all the doors. I picked up my cell phone to call the police… no signal. 

“What the hell is going on here? I heard this knock on my driver side window. I glanced out, and what I saw was the most horrifying thing that I have ever seen. It was a man carrying this huge mattock. His face was scared, the clothes he had on were covered in blood. Trying to start the car again, beating on the steering wheel, praying it would turn over. The deranged man began to punch my window, as if he was trying to get in the car. I started screaming for help but, there were no houses in sight. Finally I got my car started, put it in drive, and took off. 

About two miles down the road, I came to this old, run down town. I stopped to see if there was a police station, or even a working land line. There was nothing open, not even a gas station. A knock came from the passenger side window. I started screaming, and then looked out and saw this sweet elderly woman standing there. “Are you ok?” she asked. “I am not going to hurt you.” I cracked my window, so I could hear what she was saying. “Young lady, are you ok?” she asked again.

“No! I am not ok! I have no clue where the hell I am and I seen this little girl on a headstone, and… and…” 

  Upon opening my eyes, in this strange room; it looked to have been an old nursery. I sat straight up in bed, and looked around. The first thing that I saw was a strange picture sitting on the dresser. From a distance I could tell that it was a long, brown haired girl.  I assumed that she was eight or nine years old. Slowly I crept over to the dresser, to look more closely at the picture. “Oh my God,” I said to myself. “Is this? No, this couldn’t be her.  Yes! This is Eve!”

I heard footsteps coming up the steps; I hurried up and jumped back into the bed pretending to still be sleeping. The old woman that I had seen last night came in and said, “Dear, you need to wake up. I have dinner on the table, and you have been sleeping for more than twelve hours.” After she left the room, I sat up and looked around for my shoes. “This is odd, maybe they are downstairs. I don’t remember talking them off.”

Walking down the steps, I heard this little girl’s voice; I peeked around the corner, and saw Eve sitting at the table. I came from around the corner, and the old woman looked at me, and asked “Are you hungry dear?”

  I replied to her with a soft, squeaky voice. “No.”

“Ok suit yourself” she replied.

"Where am I?" "How did I get here?" I am so confused, the last thing I remember I looking for a police station or even a phone.

"Well dear, you passed out in your car, and my husband brought you back here." "He called the local tow truck driver to help with your car."

"Where is here?"

"My dear, you are on the Johnson Plantation."



“Good afternoon Eve.”

The little girl looked at me with a smile and said, “My name ain't Eve.”

  The old woman turned and sat her glass of tea on the table. “Who are you?  What do you know about Eve?”

I got very nervous, with the paranoia sound in her voice. “I spoke to Eve last night when I stopped at the cemetery.” I told her.

“There is no possible way you talked to my granddaughter; she has been deceased for three years now. There is no possible way that you spoke to Eve.”

Now I am confused. “If this isn't Eve, may I ask who she is?”

“This is Ave, Eve’s twin sister.”

  Now more confused than ever, I asked the woman how Eve died. She sat down with her glass of tea, and started telling me the story. “Three years ago, there was a serial killer, which hunted down commuters and killed them for their meat.” 

“So you are trying to tell me that this man was a cannibal?”  I asked.

“Not just the man” she replied, “the whole family.”

“So let me get this straight. There is a family living on this road, which kills people and eats them?” The old woman now had a death stare on her face; her reply, “yes.”  The woman looked and smiled at Ave. “This is the only granddaughter I have left.”  Still the woman has not told me a straight answer on how Eve died.  I was starting to get a little scared. She asked me if I could remember anything else from last night. I sat there, thinking. 

“Well… there was this horrifying man that looked to be carrying a mattock. When Eve and I were talking, she said that I had to run to my car as fast as I can.” 

“Once again I told you that there is no possible way that you saw Eve last night.”  I left the conversation at that. Still in the back of my mind I was wondering about Eve.  I started to get up from the table. I turned and looked at the woman. “Have you seen my shoes?”

No, I have not seen your shoes. I could have sworn that you had them on when my son carried you up the stairs last night.” 

“That’s fine.  I will go see if they are in my car.”

  I opened the screen door, stepped out onto this old wooden porch. Looking around at the property, I started taking mental notes, just in case I had to bring a police officer back here.  The first thing I noticed was this old barn. Not knowing what was in there, I was too afraid to ask. So I stepped out onto the front lawn. Looking around I saw my car. It was sitting in this open, bare, corn field. I took caution on where I stepped. I had no shoes on, and I didn’t want to step on rusty nails or screws. God only knows where the closest doctor or even a hospital is.

  Opening up my car door, I noticed neither my purse nor my cell phone was lying on the seat where I had left them. My keys were not in the ignition either. I just wonder if the old woman took them out of my car last night. I looked under the seats, and couldn’t find my shoes anywhere. I slammed the car door. Just then, I heard this strange noise coming from the barn. I began to walk towards it. The noise stopped instantly. The old lady walked out onto her front porch, “Get over here now!” she said. I turned and looked at her.
“My husband doesn’t want to be bothered.” I turned around and started walking back into the house.

Walking onto the porch, I asked the woman if she saw my belongings. She replied, “Your purse and keys are on the table. Not sure where your shoes are, though.” I scurried about looking for my shoes. Still they are nowhere to be found. I grabbed my purse and keys and began to leave. The old woman asked me where about I saw her granddaughter. I told her, “in the cemetery a few miles down the road.”

  “Is that all you saw?”

“No.” I said. “I came across some headstones that belonged to some young adults. It looked like they were in a tragic accident together.”

 
She responded, “Yes they were.”  Being intrigued I wanted to know more about the story. She told me it was none of my business because I was not a local.“I am sorry for being interested.”  I told the old woman, “thank you for letting me sleep here, and taking care of me. I think that I will be on my way.”  As I was walking out the door, the woman said to me, “Please get off this road before night fall.”

  I replied, “Ok, sure enough.”

  I ran to my car, and started it up; put it in drive and got out of this hillbilly hell. I reached the end of her driveway, not knowing which way to go, I sat there for a minute. “Should I go back to the cemetery, or find my way back to civilization.  Hell I don’t even know where I am, let alone, could I find my way back to the cemetery.”  Well it was daylight so I decided to try. I turned out of the driveway and headed down the eerie road.

Even though it was daylight it still freaked me out. I drove about 3 miles, and spotted the cemetery on the left of the road.  I pulled over and got out of my car. Trying to remember the grave Eve was sitting on.  I strolled through the cemetery with caution. I didn’t want to run into the man from last night again.  As I came up to the grave, I noticed that the engraving said Eve Johnson. “Could this really be?” I thought. “Is she really deceased? Could that have been a ghost I was talking to last night?” 

  I sat there for a few minutes and pondered the events of last night.  I turned and started toward my car. I passed Brody James’ grave. I still can’t believe what a tragedy this was.  I heard the shuffling of dead leaves and branches in the woods, so I hurried back to my car.  This time I didn’t see anybody in the woods. “Maybe I was dreaming, maybe there wasn’t a man last night, maybe it was just the wind.”

  The sun was setting fast; once again the road was getting foggy.  I felt the overwhelming need to get out of here.  I didn’t want another episode like last night. As I started driving, I could not help but wonder about Eve. Out of nowhere I saw another car heading in my direction. I flashed my headlights to try and slow them down. When the car came to a stop I rolled my window down. It was a bunch of high school kids.

I asked them what they were doing, and if they could help me get off this road. The driver told me that they are going to the cemetery with a Ouija board. I looked at them dumb- founded. The girl sitting in the back seat told me that there had been a lot of killings on this road, and they are going to see if they could contact any spirits. I thought to myself, “how crazy.”  Knowing what that old woman told me. They gave me directions to the next town and off I went.

  Not sure how many miles down the road I drove, I reached the next town. I found a police station, walked in and started to explain my story.  I couldn’t believe my eyes, standing before me was a man in his seventies, as big as a house. “Excuse me, are you a police officer?”

  Not sure how many miles down the road I drove, I reached the next town. I found a police station, walked in and started to explain my story.  I couldn’t believe my eyes, standing before me was a man in his seventies, and as big as a house. “Excuse me, are you a police officer?”

  “Why yes I am.  I’m the sheriff around these parts.” 


I thought to myself, “What the hell kind of place is this? I thought I left that hillbilly town miles ago.” 

  “How can I help you darling?

"Well last night, I ended up on this road, not sure where, all I know is, there’s a cemetery on it.”

“Well darling there is no road around here with a cemetery. Now I was puzzled.

“Where the hell was I last night?”

  Anyway I told him about Eve, and he looked at me like I was nuts. He interrupted me, “Ms.  I am sorry but Eve Johnson has been dead for more than twenty years."

I looked at him like he was senile.  “I don’t see how that could be; I just spoke to her grandmother and saw her twin sister.” 

  “Ma’am I regret to tell you but the Johnson family all died in a fire.”

  “What? But, this old woman took care of me; I spent the night at her house. We had a conversation about Eve.” I franticly told him.

  “Well dear, I am not sure who you talked to but, the Johnson family has been dead for over twenty years.”

  Once again I was puzzled. “Well I think that I am going to head home.” I walked out the door, and got into the car. I took my cell phone from my purse. Still, the phone has no signal. 

  So now I don’t understand what’s going on. Everyone that I talked to in the past twenty-four hours is dead.  I still have no clue what is going on here. “Maybe when I get back to my apartment I can do some research on the internet.”

As I made my way back to the highway, I could not stop wondering about everything that happened. I finally go into cell phone range and called my boyfriend. “Aidan, are you there? Hello?  Hey when you get this please call me; you are not going to believe what happened.”

After hanging up the phone, from out of nowhere, this semi truck was heading straight for me.  We collided.  I was conscious for a minute or two after the accident. When I awoke, I was in the hospital, doctors all around me. I saw heart monitors, IV’s and Aidan standing beside me. I hear him ask the doctor if I was going to make it. He was crying for me, screaming my name.

  There was a strange sound in the background, an alarm clock going off. I turned my head and opened my eyes. I was lying in my own bed. There were no doctor’s, Aidan wasn’t screaming for me. He was sleeping right next to me. I shot straight up in bed. “Did I dream everything? What the hell is going on?” I thought. “Aidan, wake the hell up. Have I been home with you all night?” I screamed.

  “Bella, you haven’t left the apartment or even this bed in two days.” He told me. “You’ve had a high fever for the past twenty-four hours and I have been contemplating on whether or not to rush you to the E.R.”

  “Well you need to wake up; I have the most bazaar dream to tell you about.”


  “Ok, let me start some coffee. Will you please go outside and get the newspaper?” he asked.

  I got dressed and walked outside, picked up the newspaper and noticed the headline on the front page.  I was in complete shock, the headline read: “Four local teenagers murdered last night.” The only thing that authorities were able to find was bits and pieces of at least four bodies. It looked like they were mauled to death by several large animals. The pictures of the teenagers reminded me of my dream. It looked like the exact same kids that gave me directions.  “Could it be? How could they have been found dead when I just saw them? Was this all a dream?” I ran into the house where Aidan was sitting with his cup of coffee. “Look at this!” I screamed.


  “Bella you need to calm down. What are you screaming about?”

  “Do you see these pictures, do you freaking see this? These are the same people that were in my dream last night. I saw them on this foggy road.”

  “Now, doc, I am telling you; I am not crazy, I didn’t dream this all up… Did I?”

© Copyright 2008 Nevada Star (nevadastar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471709-Foggy-Reality