*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471738-Legislation-VS-Faith
by B_B
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1471738
My opinion on gay marriage.l
Legislation VS Faith, Can There Be A Winner

For years, homosexuals have been denied many rights that married heterosexuals receive as a matter of law. It is my belief that homosexuals deserve the same right to marriage that everyone else has. Legally, why is the sex of the couple an issue? There is no need to debate; nor legislate whom we are allowed to love. Love is a very special experience, very spiritual. Who are we to deny love, spirituality or marriage to anyone?

Our very own charter of rights and freedoms already prevents discrimination based on sex. Why is this not upheld when it comes to the institution of marriage? Marriage is an easy concept; two consenting adults, who have chosen to commit to each other based on love. Could anything be simpler? Love and marriage is to be celebrated, not legislated. In the words of Pierre Elliot Trudeau, “The state has no business in the bedrooms of our nation.”

Many people use religion as a scapegoat for their belief on gay marriage. God cares about the relationships of homosexuals the same way God cares about heterosexual relationships. When all the cards fall, you are still making the same commitment, you have the same responsibilities to each other, and everyone deserves the same rights and responsibilities under the law that everyone else has. Love cannot be measured or defined in terms of sexual orientation. By promoting hatred and bigotry in the name of God is what is destroying our society, not the marriage of two loving people of the same gender.

Ultimately government cannot Legislate religion, and religious groups cannot dictate law. Each body has its own separate, definition of marriage. This issue has no business being in the political arena. This is a personal issue. If two people make the choice to commit to marriage, no power on earth should be able to prevent them from doing so.

Is the topic of the decade seriously going to be, should a man be allowed to marry another man? I shake my head in wonderment, because all other arguments aside, my first reaction would simply be, why not? In the end there is no logical reason why this shouldn’t be. The only reason why the majority of people are opposed to the next logical step of the legal union called marriage is because of society and religion. The use of attractive language; tradition, family values, sanctity – is a thinly veiled attempt at keeping homosexuals as second class citizens, and it is working.

For those that say God made marriage between a man and a woman, my question to you is which God? I wasn’t aware Brahaman or any of its reincarnations were opposed to gay marriage. Did Allah make any official stand? Even the Christian God never said anything iron clad. The various passages cited so much by various fundamentalists are isolated and brief. These passages are used to often convert conservative or even moderate America to their side.

For those that say that marriage’s purpose is to procreate, and without that society will fall apart. I say, gay marriage will not prohibit heterosexuals from getting married or procreating, and so I don’t understand your claim. Who are you to decide what purpose marriage holds? Two heterosexual people don’t have to have babies if they don’t want to, and some are physically unable to procreate. Does this mean these people shouldn’t be allowed to participate in the institution of marriage?

The next time you have a conversation and you are against two people of the same sex who love each other being able to participate in the beauty of marriage, remember this. “Love has many shapes and colors and is not finite.” Nor should be the limits to who can marry and who cannot.
© Copyright 2008 B_B (poohbear1606 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1471738-Legislation-VS-Faith