*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472230-The-Wolves
by G-hund
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1472230
just a little story i scribbled one day in english class. :)
The Wolves

“So how long will this ‘holiday’ last?” Anna asked her mother, as the car trundled along the country road – if it could be called a road, it was more of a dirt track, full of potholes and ruts.
“This ‘holiday’, as you put it Anna,” Mrs Thorpe replied, “will last until your father has found somewhere else to live and has moved!” She sighed. “And your Aunt Emily was very good to take us in! We should be grateful!”
“Mmm…” Anna wasn’t sure at all about this. After all, she hadn’t seen her Aunt Emily since she was three! And it would be just the three of them in her aunt’s old, old house! Anna knew that she’d get so bored. The road they were driving down looked as though it was heading into the wilderness. If the house was this remote, what was the chance of there being any other people around?
The car drew up to a huge gate and Anna got out to open it. The sign read “Wolvington”. The gate creaked as she opened it, causing several birds to take flight. Anna had a sudden feeling that she was entering into a forgotten place, untouched by time.
When they finally reached the house, both of them gasped. It was certainly magnificent, if a little foreboding. It was a very large building of red brick, slightly crumbling at one end. Mrs Thorpe parked the car and headed up towards the front door. As Anna got out of the car, she could’ve sworn she heard a wolf howling in the distance. Her mother’s voice cut across her thoughts, “Anna! Come and greet your aunt!”
Anna thought her aunt looked fragile, as if a gust of wind would knock her over. Her voice was a whisper, like the rustle of paper. “Welcome to Wolvington, my dear. The last time I saw you, you were just a babby!” Her Scottish accent sounded out of place in her quiet voice.
“It’s good to be here”, Anna found herself unconsciously lowering her voice, so as not to startle her aunt.
“You’ll find me rather old fashioned, I expect…” Her aunt continued as they went inside.
The house was well decorated, but very old fashioned as Aunt Emily has said. It did have running water and electricity which was a relief to Anna.
Anna dumped her stuff in her room. It was lovely, with a large old fashioned four-poster and lots of cushions and such like. She felt oddly at home there, though she’d never been at Wolvington before.
That night, at dinner, Anna asked her aunt about Wolvington. “The name puzzles me,” she said. “Wolvington. Do you know why the house is called such a thing? It’s quite creepy.”
“Well, my dear, there is a reason for that.” Her aunt took a breath, “The house used to be set in a massive extent of land, which was gradually sold off. Anyway, the legend goes that there was a pack of wolves living here. Slightly south, there are a few farms and rumour has it that the wolves were eating sheep from the farms. Naturally, the farmers were not at all happy and killed every last wolf.” A hush fell over the table, and Anna could see that her mother looked uncomfortable.
“Anyone for dessert?” Mrs Thorpe’s cheery voice broke the silence, as she bustled about, clearing plates off the table. Once she had wandered away into the kitchen, Aunt Emily leaned forward. “If you’re interested, there is a book in the library on the tale. I’ll find it for you.”
“Thanks, Aunt Emily, I’d appreciate it.”
* * *
That night, Anna found it incredibly difficult to sleep. She eventually got up and sat in the window seat. Pulling back the curtain, she saw it was a cold, clear night. Every star was out and the wind was blowing gently. She opened the window and let the night air creep over her skin, refreshing her. Leaning out, Anna again heard a wolf howling in the distance. “No”, she breathed, “It’s not possible…” Again and again the single note a freedom cut through the air. Anna strained her eyes to see…something. Then, a shadow moved on the lawn. It looked like a wolf or a large dog. Another joined it, and then they bother faded back into the shadows. The howling ended, the last one floating on the wind. “Wow!” Anna was shocked. “I wonder…” Closing the window, she crawled back into bed, her ears still ringing from the howling.
* * *
The nest morning, after breakfast, when Mrs Thorpe wasn’t looking, Aunt Emily slipped Anna a thick hardcover book with “The Wolvington Legend” written on the front. “Thanks,” she whispered.
“You’re very welcome, my dear,” came the reply. “Don’t forget to read my notes. You may find them useful.” And with a twinkle in her eye, Aunt Emily retreated to her study.
Anna curled up in an armchair in the front room. The book on Wolvington’s history told the same story as Aunt Emily, with some added information. This included the reports of people who claimed to have seen ghostly wolves wandering the grounds after sundown. “So I’m not the only one…” Anna muttered to herself. Turning a page over, pieces of paper fell onto the floor. She reached down and picked them up, figuring they were Aunt Emily’s notes.
“12th August.
I never before believed the tales. Not until now. The
wolves are appearing to me. I can never get close, though.
They fade before I’m anywhere near them. I wish they wouldn’t.

14th August.
I found a book in the library that claims the ghostly wolves
are restless spirits of the wolves killed in the story of
Wolvington. I think that’s very interesting…

15th August.
Reading further has led me to discover another legend.
This one claims that a child went missing from Wolvington
and was discovered in the wolves den. It’s mother left a silver
locket as an offering of sorts to the wolves. Years later, it was
that same child who led the campaign to kill the pack of wolves.
He took back the locket – which was in the den. This legend says
the spirits of the wolves are tied to the locket because it was a gift
that was stolen from them. Perhaps if I find it and return it, the
spirits will be free…

16th August.
I saw them again last night. Out on the lawn. I counted fourteen
adults and three cubs. They were so utterly adorable, play fighting
and falling all over each other. The night was perfectly still, and
I stayed up until sunrise – when they faded. I had to lie to my
mother, and say I couldn’t sleep, for I know that she wouldn’t
believe the truth.

20th August.
They have stopped appearing to me. I ceased to see them two nights
ago. I have to confess to being rather upset. I, well, I enjoyed having
a secret. I live in hope that they will reappear one night.

21st August.
Now I know I will never see them again. Tonight, in fact a matter
of minutes ago, the alpha male, that is the leader of the pack, appeared
to me on the lawn. He looked up – right into my eyes, it was the most
compelling look! His silver-grey eyes looked as if they contained secrets
frozen in ice. He howled once, turned and ran into the mist. I suspect I
will miss them.”
* *
That evening, at dinner, Aunt Emily seemed to be bracing herself for Anna’s questions. After Mrs Thorpe had retired for the night, Anna was beckoned into her aunt’s study. It was a small, cream room. The walls were lined with bookshelves and there was a small desk in the centre, littered with paper. Aunt Emily sat, and invited Anna to sit, also. She did, if a little hesitantly.
“Aunt Emily, I must ask you about your notes on… the wolves.”
Aunt Emily smiled, “I know you’ve seen them, my dear, and you should count yourself blessed that you have. When you first arrived, I read in your face that you heard a howl. You’re not crazy, my dear, don’t fear that.”
Anna was rather taken aback. “Do you believe the tale about the locket?”
“I do.” Aunt Emily shifted her position, then got up and moved bout the room. “I searched for it, but, alas! Could not find it. I found a paper in the library that made me think that it might be in the abandoned wing of the house, but I don’t have the energy to search for it.”
“I will search!” cried Anna, rather taken aback at herself. “I’ve been here two days, but already I feel… I feel as if it is my duty to resolve the situation, to set them free… Tomorrow, I will search the ruined part of the house. Is there any clue to where exactly the locket might be?”
“Well,” Aunt Emily sat down at the desk again. She pulled out a piece of paper. “This is a map of the house. The child in the legend was – as far as I can see – Lord Edgar Thorpe. This,” she pointed to a room on the map, “is where his rooms were. It would be the logical place to start. But first, you must know that his diary says nothing of the locket except for, “I have it again. I have finally put it away – with her other things. I spoke of it to only one person – Susanna.” I take ‘it’ to be the locket, although I may be wrong.”
“Thanks you, Aunt Emily. Will you keep my mother occupied tomorrow?”
“Yes, of course, my dear.”
* * *
Anna went up to her room, but, like her aunt all those years ago, she couldn’t sleep. So, once again, she sat in the window seat. One by one the wolves appeared and strolled around the lawn. Anna thought she could watch them forever. The night was perfectly still. Opening the window, she whispered, “I’ll find that locket and set you free – if it takes me a lifetime.” The pack leader looked up and Anna felt he understood.
* * *
“Anna, you look positively exhausted!” Mrs Thorpe said. “Haven’t you been able to sleep?”
“Don’t worry, my dear,” Aunt Emily saved Anna from having to reply. “I’m sure she’s just adjusting to life in the countryside.”
Anna excused herself and fetched the map from her aunt’s study. “Go around the outside, my dear,” Aunt Emily whispered to her as she walked past.
Creeping around the outside of the house, Anna saw that the abandoned wing was all crumbling and grown over. Perhaps this wouldn’t be as easy as she has first thought. She found the rooms her aunt had spoken of. There was no furniture – it all must have been removed when the wing was abandoned. Getting down on her hands and knees, Anna scrambled around for a while, moving rocks and searching in several "rooms" - or the remains of them. She sighed and got up, collapsing on a large stone that was nearby. “Where would I hide a silver locket?” Her aunt’s words came back to her, “..put it away – with her other things..”
“What other things?” Anna murmured to herself. She got up and began walking around. Where would Lord Edgar hide his mother's things? Somewhere safe, presumably. And who was Susanna, and what did she have to do with the whole mystery? Perhaps nothing, but there was no way for Anna to know. Suddenly, it began to rain. Anna looked desperately for somewhere to shelter. The nearest thing was the remains of a huge fireplace. She scrambled in, thinking, ‘eww’. Reached up to try and get more comfortable, she caused a small avalanche. Rocks and weeds and all manner of unclean, unpleasant things came raining down on her. She climbed out and dusted herself off. Looking down at the rubble of the now collapsed fireplace, she saw a glint of gold. She bent down and picked up a small trinket box. Her hand moved to open it but she stopped. “No. Aunt Emily should open it.” She turned and ran for the door back into the house.
* * *
“Aunt Emily! Aunt Emily!” Anna ran through the house, eager to find her aunt. Instead…
“Anna Thorpe! What are you doing, tearing about the house like some uncivilised savage! What is the meaning of this?”
“Mum! No time to explain!” Anna was gasping, out of breath. “Where’s Aunt Emily?”
“She’s in her study. But…” Mrs Thorpe trailed off as Anna ran from her, down the stairs.
* * *
Anna came bursting through the study door. “Aunt Emily! I found… Something! I thought you should open it!” She placed the box in front of her aunt and sat down.
“Well, my dear, I.. I’m quite speechless!” Aunt Emily tentatively reached out and picked up the box. She blew some dust from the old fireplace off of it and slowly took the lid off. Inside were all sorts of jewellery and pieces of paper. Aunt Emily took the jewellery out piece by piece until she picked up a heavy silver locket. She gasped. “You found it, my dear, oh well done! You have done what I could not!”
Anna felt suddenly embarrassed. “Well, it was mostly luck! … Umm, Aunt Emily?”
“Yes, my dear?” Aunt Emily was pulled out of her daydreams.
“What are we going to do now?”
“Well, I would have thought that was obvious, my dear! We – that is to say, you – are going to give it back to the wolves.”
* * *
That night, when Anna saw the wolves appearing, she sneaked downstairs and out into the garden. As she approached, their ears picked up, and the mothers ran to protect their cubs.
She lifted her hands up and away from herself. The pack leader edged forward and smelled the air. Anna pulled the locket out of her pocket, slowly. The pack leader looked straight in to her eyes. She froze. It felt like every nerve in her body was ablaze. Everything around her faded until all she could see was his eyes – those eyes of silver-grey fire. Apparently deciding she was worthy, he released her from his gaze.
He abruptly turned and walked a little. He stopped and looked at her, letting her know she was to follow. The wolves parted for them, as they silently stole through the night. It was very cold, and the grass was covered in frost, which crunched when Anna put her weight on it. The wolf, however, walked silently.
Slowly, their surroundings changed. The grass became longer; the bushes were wild and tangled. Anna was still covered in scratches, though she hardly felt them.
The wolf led her to a particularly dense part of underbrush, which she parted, revealing a gaping hole. The wolves’ den. Somehow, though she wasn’t quite sure how, the wolf signalled to her that she had to place the locket here. Anna did and the wolf raised his head and howled. Just once. And once was all it took. A change came over the night. You couldn’t see it or smell it or hear it, but Anna could feel it, in her bones and in her heart.
Turning, she followed the wolf back to the lawn. He howled again, and all the other wolves joined in. One by one, they faded, as if blown away by the wind. The pack leader was the last to go. He nodded to Anna, as if to thank her, before joining his pack.
Anna turned to walk back into the house and caught sight of her aunt, sitting in a window seat, looking out into the garden. The look on Aunt Emily’s face said it all. She had got her wish. She had seen the wolves one last time.
© Copyright 2008 G-hund (g-hund at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472230-The-Wolves