*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472308-The-Unfinished-Story
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1472308
A slave is found out to have magically abilities. Can she get away before it's too late?
Prologue:

I kept my eyes shut tight. I wouldn't fail my escape again. My labors for this war had gone on long enough. Shog grabbed my ankle and began to drag my limp body back to the castle. I knew he expected something from me. It had been weeks since my last escape attempt. Finally we reached the shade of the large castle. The morning was hot, the fields even hotter. Shog released my ankle and moved closer to my head. Nearby I could hear a horse. The horse that would help carry me back to the shacks that all prisoners were held. I smiled. This horse would help carry me alright, I thought.

I felt Shog kneel over me. I could feel him raise his arms to place under mine. I jumped up, knocking his skull to mine. He fell the ground, unconscious. I smiled, but moved quickly. In the distance, I could hear the hooves of Shog's relief. I grabbed his sword and mounted his horse. I prepared myself, and dug my heels into the bay mare. She was strong, but not as fast as some of the other loyal steeds concealed in the King's barns. She bolted in the direction of the soldiers and we zipped past them. Caught by surprise, I nicked one of the soldiers in the side with my sword. The others were slow in realizing I was making my escape. They slowly turned their horses around and bolted after me. They easily caught up, but were too late. I had already past the castle gates.

Now flying through the crowded city streets, citizens jumped to miss the parading hooves of the mare I rode swiftly. Running as fast as possible through the impossible streets, I was able to reach the old Drezan Church. There was my trouble. Somehow word had reached more soldiers. There a group of at least 4 soldiers waited. They all stood grinning. I probably knew them, having lived on castle property so long. They probably knew me and laughed at how close I had come to escaping. It was indeed the farthest I had ever made it.

Chapter One- I’m Awake

One Week Later:
  My sleep was suddenly interrupted by a strong feeling that I was falling. Once my cheek hit hard on the cold, stone floor, I knew it was Shog trying to wake me up.
"I'm awake," I said almost angrily. Without opening my eyes I began to pick myself up off the floor.

"You'd think one day you'll start getting yourself up. Same time everyday," I recognized Shog's voice reply.
"Maybe one day," I said finally opening my eyes to the dark dungeons. The many woman around me were already up, and moving about. Some had even already made their bed and were making their way to breakfast.
I stood and faced Shog. He was much taller and bigger than me. He was the nicest of the guards. He always was trying to take care of us slaves.
"What?" I asked noticing he was looking down at me.
"Please, make today an "uneventful" day," he said harshly.
"Like always," I said mockingly.
I knew he expected me to try something today. He did everyday, but it had been a full week since my last escape attempt. My head still hurt from the bruise those soldiers gave me.

Shog finally made his way out of the dungeons, leaving us to ready for breakfast. I quickly made my bed, changed my clothes, and washed up as much as I could. Finally, yet quickly, I made my way to the master hall. There the cooks were handing everyone one biscuit to eat before we went to work. I smiled as I past, taking my fair share, but inconspicuously pocketed to extra. A dark feeling rushed over me as I remembered floggings I once received for getting caught.

Smiling sarcastically at Shog as I whipped past him, I ate my biscuit as I made my way around the castle. Carefully, I snuck to the back kitchen door and knocked so gently not even a dog inside the kitchen would have heard. Slowly, the door opened. I jumped back when I found Ms. Belsa gently fighting with Greug, one of the guards. He was probably the vilest, yet sadly one of the strongest. He immediately started towards me angrily, “Thought no one would catch on to your little scandal, huh,” Greug said still holding off Ms. Belsa’s attempts to free her wrist from his hand.

Ms. Belsa was the pretties, nicest person around, yet she was one of the easiest targets. This was her third pregnancy since her son, Shoj. She had lost the previous two in miscarriages, and this one had been the longest that one had ever lasted. Since breakfast was hardly enough to feed myself, I always stole a few extra to give to others in more need of nutrition. Ms. Belsa and her son, Shoj, was who I risked a daily flogging for. Sometimes other slaves braved tried and shared their catch, but it was a dangerous task. Flogging was the price for anyone caught stealing or even with stolen biscuits.

Looking around, a nearby branch seemed at good weapon. I took it and knew I would never feel the end of this one. My heart felt heavy when Greug released Ms. Belsa to take up his sword. A stick against a sword was obviously not a close match. I feared for my fingers and limbs, but stood strong. I braced myself, when Greug swung at me. Blocking with the branch it snapped in two. To avoid another swing, I closed my eyes and blasted a multitude of fire balls at him. He quickly put out the flames that took over his clothing and glared at me.
“You little, witch,” he said suddenly swinging his sword at me. I jumped back to avoid its sharpened tip. Ms. Belsa had made her way back to the kitchen and returned with a butcher knife. I quickly slipped past Greug and took it from her. Without a word she disappeared to the safety of the kitchen.

In a quick move, Greug attacked over and over again, leaving me barely able to block each new attack. I kept working to get in close. If I could just get in close enough, Magic could do the rest. But Greug was too good at keeping me away. Our fight came close to a tall pine tree, yet still close to the kitchen door. My options were running low and Greug’s chances of actually hitting me running painfully high, so I aimed for one of its large branches. Firing a bolt of electricity, the bolt severed the branch from the tree.

The branch fell right atop Greug, knocking him unconscious. I smiled in victory. Carefully, I approached him. He was still breathing, but he didn’t awake. I found a sharpened dagger in his belt. Hiding it in my dress, I returned to the now closed kitchen door. I knocked gently once more and like usual Ms Belsa silently opened the door.

“Are you alright?” she asked as I handed her back her knife. Ms. Belsa slowly slipped outside and took the knife.
“Yes. Oh, this is for you,” I said digging through my pocket for her biscuit. Handing her one, I left the second in my pocket.
“You know I don’t want the whole biscuit. Just give half to my son, like always,” she said gently.
I gave her a quick glimpse at the second biscuit. Filled with joy she hugged me.
“You risk too much for us, Mea. I thank you with all my heart,” she said almost starting to cry.
“Just be careful, Make sure you eat every crumb. Leave no evidence and don’t worry, I will take care of Shoj,” I said before running off. I ran as fast as I could toward the fields.


Chapter Two: Trouble

“Where have you been?” asked Shog.
“I just took the long way here,” I lied as I finished off my biscuit.
“Well, let’s make sure we don’t make a habit of that,” he said reinforcing.
“Don’t count on it,” I whispered into the wind.

I grabbed a basket and began picking the many produce. The sun rose and over and over again I emptied and filled the basket. By noon, the sun was hotly hovering over us. I worked as close to Shoj. The poor boy was very asthmatic, yet the forced him to work out in this heat. Around noon we usually received a break, but today it seemed delayed. Shoj jumped, grabbing his chest and focused on his breathing.
“You alright,” I whispered.
Breathing heavily the boy of only 10 smiled, “Yeah.”
It took him a moment to catch his breath, but once he had he had to ask, “How was mother today?”
“She was just fine.” I said decided he didn’t need to know about Greug.
I heard his stomach growl. Immediately I dug in my pocket and broke a piece off of his biscuit. Handing it to him he took it and immediately inhaled it.
“You should have told me you were hungry. I have plenty,” I said showing him a small glimpse of the whole biscuit.
“But did mother get some?” he asked frantically.
“She got a whole biscuit too,” I said smiling proudly.

The last time I tried to steal two whole biscuits I had gotten caught…by Greug. I will never forget the beatings he gave me. I shuddered, but pushed on to continue my work. Carefully, I broke off pieces to hand to Shoj at least to hold him off to our break. Suddenly a strange wind blew. I looked to the sky, which looked as if a storm was blowing in. It had been weeks since it had rained, but everyone knew what happened when the clouds rolled in…so did the dragon. The dragon was the color of the cloudy sky; Matching perfectly with a cloud, especially the dark ones. I had waited so long for him to return. My mind had been consumed around him ever since his last attack on the castle. Although he was usually alone, sometimes he brought additional dragons to aid in his fight. Sometimes they even had riders. It is only when there are riders that we get to retreat from the fields. I smiled at the hope I now felt in my heart. My soul was warmed by the possibility that was, yet the wind was chilling.

Suddenly my heart was darkened by the sight of two dark cloaked men. My smile faded and fear filled my whole being. I quickly shoved the biscuit in Shoj’s pocket. He tried to speak, but I silenced him. I quickly inconspicuously moved as far from them as possible. I had been here so long I know how to recognize ranks among the soldiers. The black cloaked men were always more than soldiers. They were magicians; the best of the best.

I should have never used my magic against Greug, I ridiculed myself. If I am strong enough they will force me to join them. If not they will kill me. I, personally, wasn’t all that strong. Suddenly my fate seemed imminent. Carefully, from the back of the fields I watched them approach and talk to Shog.

Then Shog turned back to the fields.
“Alright, everyone can take a quick break,” Shog yelled over the working fields.
Not knowing of the treat that should have been felt by the cloaked men, everyone began their walk to the only tree anywhere near the fields. Everyone, everyday, hid in its cool shade. I too began over there, when I saw the cloaked men walking away. It wasn’t until they had disappeared I quickened my pace.

“Mea, come over here,” Shog yelled violently. I froze. My heart fell and fear consumed me. I looked to him, and he stood as he always had, leaning on his right leg. He had once been injured in action, and was reduced to a slave soldier or whatever. Either way he was happy. He hated the way the slaves were treated, so to us he was a sanctuary.

I began my walk to him and suddenly the two cloaked men appeared before me. I jumped back and continued to back away from them. If they took even a single step, I had every intention to run for it, yet they could probably kill me in one shot. One of them held cuffs in their hand. I knew by their inscriptions for them to be my worst enemy. Their engravings prevented the wearer their magical abilities and I refused to be in them. My magic was my only protection.

Suddenly the one on the left disappeared and heard him reappear behind me.
I jumped, and quickly moved from between them. They unhooded themselves. I didn’t recognize them, but didn’t underestimate them. They were older, probably near their thirties.

“We didn’t mean to frighten you, Mea,” he said pausing before my name. The man who had stayed in front of me had spoken. His voice was old and deep. It had a slight rasp to it on most of the vowels. He also had a tendency to elongate his vowels, which could have been the reason for his raspiness. I questioned how he knew my name, but assumed Greug had already informed them of that small detail.

“Surrounding me was the perfect plan then,” I said angrily sarcastic.
“A little mouth you have; I heard you have some strong legs too. Such a…spirited girl you are,” said the second man.
The man from in front held out his hand, “Such a spirited girl shouldn’t be out here.”
At the sight of his hand I took a step back, causing them to step in.

“Don’t be afraid,” the second man said reassuringly. I took another step back, half planning to make a run for it, but a side of me knew my best chance of living would be to go with them.

****Please let me know what you think. It obviously isn't done. Yep, it's one of those.
© Copyright 2008 marykate (marykate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472308-The-Unfinished-Story