*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472581-Comet-Girl
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1472581
Contest entry for Flash of Lightning
    The worst part of it all is that everyone says we were a cult.  If they knew our leader, knew any of us, they would realize how ridiculous that is.  We are a family, not a cult.  Our leader, our benefactor, our prophet, Micreon-el, is a brilliant, misunderstood entity.  Notice I said is.  Though all the news reports say he is dead, I know better.  Notice I use the word entity.  Though others refer to him as a man, I know him for the supernatural being that he is.

    The others are alive as well.  Though their bodies were left in the house, I know that they travel now with the Comet.  They are alive and streaking through the universe in its tail, laughing at all of us who've been left behind.  This is as Micreon-el promised it would be, so go screw yourself if you don't believe it.

    I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that.  I have anger issues.  That's what led me to get kicked out of my parent's house to begin with, I just couldn't seem to get along with anyone.  Micreon-el took me in off the street, gave me a place to stay and taught me the truth of the Comet.  We just had to wait for it to come around, and he would show us the way to join it.  He taught us how wonderful it would be, how we would all be immortal and fly through the universe for all time.  Of course all the men in the family had to be castrated.  All except for Micreon-el.  He had to be able to "function" in case we encountered alien beings who needed his supernatural genes injected into their inferior races.  The other men didn't need to do that, so their male parts were only distracting them from Micreon-el's teachings.  So off they had to come!  Hoo boy, those were some wild nights, the "liberating" ceremonies, let me tell you!

    Anyway, we girls didn't need any kind of alterations, thank the Comet.  We were Micreon-el's brides and happy to serve him in every way.  He really liked me the best though, I could always tell.  I know he liked me better than that snooty Becky at least, always quoting from the book of the Comet.  I told her where she could shove her verses a time or two, make no mistake about that.  Oh, there I go again, sorry.

    So, the way we were to join the Comet was like this: Micreon-el knew when it was going to be closest to Earth.  He told us a week ahead of time so we could begin to purify ourselves to be ready.  I was so excited that I couldn't sleep!  Micreon-el was acting a little jumpy that week, too, come to think of it.  On the night it was to happen we were told that we needed to be lying down, relaxed and meditating and we would be swept up to the Comet as it passed.  He wanted all of us to go to the kitchen and drink a tonic that would calm us down, he said, because we needed to be at peace and tranquil for the ascension.  It was funny though, that night I was the calmest that I'd been all week.  I didn't need any tonic, in fact I was afraid that if I relaxed any more than I was, I would pass out and miss the whole thing.  So I pretended to drink the tonic and then went back to my room to lie down like everyone else.

    Well, you know the rest from the news stories.  I found them all lying on their beds with their tennis shoes and their robes on, just like they had been taught.  The police say that everyone but me died, Micreon-el (or Dennis, as they call him) included.  I know better.  They were all meditating and had their spirits rise up to join the Comet.  I should be with them.  I wish I was with them. If only I hadn't been sleeping.

   
© Copyright 2008 Clrd2Land (keyskayak at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472581-Comet-Girl