*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472989-First-Kiss
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1472989
A boy gets his first kiss for Daily Flash Fiction
The clock seemed to be racing as if it were trying to leap into the future where recess waited like the Sword of Damocles. That never happened during math. It was much more typical for the clock’s hands to move in hyper-slow motion, pausing on each minute as if savoring it like a skilled food critique pausing with each bite to fully appreciate the experience.

Jake sank lower into his seat with each click from the clock. How had he gotten into this mess? This was like nothing he had ever experienced. He was only nine years old after all. He should be throwing spitballs and wrestling with the other boys, actively avoiding anything with a ponytail. Girls could wait until he was grown up, maybe in the fifth or sixth grade.

He sneaked a look over at his nemesis, Betty Monroe, only to find her smiling back at him. Looking away quickly, he could feel the blood rushing to his head and wondered if he were too young to have a heart attack. That could save him! He spent the next few minutes praying for such an event.

The bell rang and everyone poured out onto the playground. Over near the backstop, two groups huddled a few yards from each other. Jake was surrounded by six other boys, his supporting cast, all offering encouragement in the form of double-dares. Betty had her entourage of girls telling her how lucky she was, each hoping that her turn would be next.

Jake looked over to see Betty stepping forward, a squad of giggles in skirts spreading out to get a better view. A shove from behind sent him out into open as well. Now it was just him and her. Their eyes locked. With a deep breath, Jake made his move.

Word count 300
© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1472989-First-Kiss