*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473704-Evolution
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #1473704
What comes after the end?
"Oh my God...." Lisa let the words trail upon a slight gasp as her cereal bowl fell to the floor and shattered at her feet.

She was watching the local news channel in her tiny studio apartment. A normal day full of surety had shattered at her feet with the glass bowl. She was stunned at the news and literally it felt as if all were in suspended animation. All sounds faded away and she was left with one stunning sentence repeating in her mind.

"As of 12:01am, our local team of scientists have discovered a severe rift opening within our ocean floor. We do not have all of the details as our teams have been dispatched to the site to assess damages and the possible effects on our global earth." the news had cut to the first press conference and then quickly to the latest developments, "Our teams have come to the conclusion that this event will be catacalysmic. Evacuations will be useless as there is no place far enough away to escape the damages sure to come. Our earth will end as we know it."

"Our earth will end as we know it." repeating over and over.

This has to be some kind of horrible joke. We live on earth, we are the smartest species out there and there is nothing we can do to stop this destiny? I haven't lived yet! I'm just 21. Now what the hell do I do?

Lisa's thoughts jumbled in a mad rush through her head and she strained to make them stop long enough to see when the earth was to be over. Wiped out. Extinct. Left to create a new beginning for whatever species would survive the outcome.

"We are currently calculating our timetables and there is no clear answer. All we are sure of is that this will be soon and happen quickly. My simple advice is to reach out to your family, your friends, your local community and come to peace with yourselves as quickly as you can, there may not be a tomorrow."

With those final words, Lisa had the immediate answer. It was time to go to her place. She had hid there so many times as a young girl and it was all she had left to cling to here in this uncertainty. She had no family to speak of and now felt more alone and abandoned than ever. Her destiny had yet to begin and it was going to end before she even had a chance to carve a path for herself.

*****

On her hillside on the edge of town, she sat hidden by the tall grasses. As she quietly wept and then loudly wailed her curses upon the air, a voice behind her startled her rantings.

"I hoped I'd find you here. I figured you come to hide." a deep and very calm voice crept through the breeze.

"You know me, scared little girl again. Had to come and runaway. What are you doing here? Why aren't you with your family? I thought we had an agreement." bitterness crept in and stung in her words to this long lost stranger.

"Let's not do this. I am here because this is where I belong. It was mine first, remember? I showed it to you. Now move over."

"Do you think we will see it coming? Do you think it will hurt?" Lisa mumbled after a few moments of silence.

"I think we'll get through it. There has to be something else right? A better place. Isn't that what we have been spoonfed our whole lives? The scientist guy said to come to peace with ourselves. What a crock. I guess, if I gotta go, I'd rather go with the most stubborn person on this planet."

"Oh wow, look at that. It's beautiful isn't it. Do you think that's it?" Lisa's words came out in a whispered awe as she stood and stared at the blinding light creeping through the horizon.

The brightness of it all came over them. In an instant it was done. The world was recycling itself once again. Waiting to create the perfect destiny while ending the current one.
© Copyright 2008 Tabatha Johnson (ctv123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1473704-Evolution