*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1476530-The-Escort
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Melodrama · #1476530
A twisted melodrama about a down-and-out woman and the people who love her.
Written with Momo M. , For:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1473127 by Not Available.


         As the moon sunk from her sight beyond the trees, the scantily clad young woman listened for her companion of the night, keeping her front turned from the bathroom door. She waited until she heard the lock turn. She reached for her purse and hastened to retrieve a small box from within. Inside she yanked out a bag, pouring its contents onto the mirror she’d also removed from the box. Steadily she separated the ivory powder into neat, even lines. A soft tap from the bathroom jarred her attention to the bathroom. The door remained shut and she returned to her fixation; her arm shooting out to her companion’s wallet lying on the bedside table. One dollar she rolled tightly and the others she stuffed swiftly into her under-garments.
         As the powder ascended the rolled dollar and into her nasal cavity, her mind abruptly shifted from the moonlight she had previously been pondering and into her past-- the life of a broken soul turned heartless. Her heart raced as she relived the night that her childhood fell to pieces.

         The crunching gravel shook her from her sleep and she burst outside, as her mother’s pick-up truck sped down the winding dirt road. It wasn’t until her feet gave out from under her that she realized she must give up on the chase.
         Behind her a hoarse voice screeched her name. “Anna-Marie, you little bitch!” it roared, “Get back in the house!” The little girl sobbed as she turned to see her grandfather lurching towards her, beer sloshing from the mug in his hand.
         That night as she lay in bed, eyes slightly ajar, she became aware of a coarse object gliding up from her foot toward her thigh and beyond. Her mind automatically went numb. She had been miserable ever since her father had died so many years earlier; misery was simply a fact to which she’d become accustomed.

         So it was a rash decision for her when she decided to run away with the first man aside from her grandfather who showed any interest in her. He was old enough to be her father, but she did not mind. The only thing that mattered was that when this man used her, she got present and genuine affection in return. In the beginning she was happy, at last.
         However, once an engagement to marry arose between the two of them, her attitude soured. Fewer were the presents, and not too long after he began leaving on lengthy business trips. Whenever he would return home, he’d fly off into one of his moods at the slightest irritation caused by his young sweetheart.
         It was on one such trip that the new neighbors first arrived. They were a nice, picturesque couple. The wife was kind and often gave Anna-Marie leftovers from the scrumptious dinners she prepared every evening. Before too long the wife trusted her enough to keep an eye on the couple’s young children. Anna-Marie’s fiancé and the husband also became quick and close friends. Relations between the two couples appeared to be nothing less than idealistic.
         However, Anna-Marie kept two secrets. The first was that there had been a few occasions where her friendship with the other woman had been betrayed. The second was that she had aborted her first child, knowing that it would be obvious that her fiancé was not the father. It was so emotionally distressing that she could no longer bear to watch her favorite TV show, Maury Post. On nights when her fiancé was away, she would read and later re-read the letters she’d occasionally find on her pillow as she awoke. They were all signed by the name Carl, although she knew all too well that wasn’t his real name. It was code; code for the handsome man next door. She was always careful when she slipped them into their hiding place, but one night she had taken one too many of her prescription nerve medication. She fell asleep with one letter still in hand.
         The next day she was awaken to the scornful-looking face of her husband-to-be. He demanded that she get in the car at once. “We have to talk!” He exclaimed in a bitter tone. With that, he pulled her forcefully by the collar of her shirt, tearing it a little. He pushed her into the passenger’s side seat of the vehicle. “You filthy whore!” he yelled furiously. “How could you do this to me? ....To us? You are nothing but a no good tramp.” They arrived at a dilapidated part of the city, at which point he said to her, “Get out and fend for yourself. This is where you belong anyways.”

         Anna-Marie jerked around, as she had heard the creaking of the bathroom door. Her companion emerged, almost as sparsely dressed as she. His eyes fluttered between her dubious activity and her face. She froze momentarily and forced a smile. “Normally I don’t mind,” she said softly, “if my clients know about my, uh, issue here.” She laughed nervously. “But, Bruce, I was afraid that I’d loose you if you found out. You’re the only client that’s ever treated me with so much respect. If you ever thought...”
         “Thought that you were just an ordinary whore?” Bruce finished ambiguously. Anna-Marie’s face paled. Suddenly a smile crossed his handsomely aged face as he moved closer. He reached for her and pulled her into an embrace. “This is not the life for a flower like you. Anna,” he cooed, “how ‘bout we make an honest woman out of you?”
         Anna-Marie gleamed. Quickly she hid her excitement and looked at Bruce with the best somber expression she could pull off. “Oh, Brucey-Bear,” she sighed, “What would your wife think of your making me an ‘honest woman’ of me?” Before he could reply, she added, “I cannot be the other woman, I love you too much.”
         All Bruce could do in reply was to kiss her and begin to lead her outside. Stopping him short, she tipped her chin toward the heap of clothing on the floor. “Oh, of course,” Bruce laughed. He strolled outside to where his BMW was parked, and when he reappeared into the room he held a cream-colored pantsuit and a small poncho made from white and brown fur. “Tiffany had me pick up her dry-cleaning,” he explained.

         “It’s perfect,” Anna-Marie squealed. She fingered the diamonds and emeralds draped across her wrist. The salesman stood patiently as she moved her arm about in the golden lights of the shop. Each stone glimmered brilliantly and Anna-Marie twisted her neck to gaze at Bruce. You’ve done it, girl! She thought devilishly to herself. Heh… I’ve done pretty well for a ‘little bitch’ right, Grandpa?
         At the opposite end of the room another woman talked pleasantly with another salesman. A male voice caught her attention. It sounded so familiar. Glancing over her shoulder, she followed the sound of the voice. When she found its source, she suppressed a gasp and spun her gaze away. For another moment she listened intently to the pair she had seen. Her lips quivered, but she knew that she couldn’t ignore what she had seen. Whipping out her cell phone, she hit speed dial number one. With each ring that went unanswered her nervousness increased. “Tiffany…” she said when the voicemail finally picked up, her voice breaking.

         A few days later, unbeknownst to Bruce or Anna-Marie, Tiffany had followed them to the Dive Motel. She was waiting and listening right outside the motel window, which they had cracked open earlier that evening to let in the fresh air.
         “I’m really happy that we have established this connection and it’s so true.” Anna-Marie chirped, “I feel as though I can tell you everything and share the world with you.” She struggled to keep the irritation from showing on her face. This man will give me anything under the moon except the commitment he gives that shrew, Tiffany! I must convince him of my miserable upbringing to win over his pity and I’ll have it made, for life!
         “Bruce, these last few weeks have really sparked something inside of me. I feel that you are my guardian angel and without you… I shall surely perish on the streets as a nameless hooker. I need you and I need for you to know this. Please promise that you will never leave me like both of my parents did.”
         With a sentimental glance, Bruce peered into her bright, green desperate eyes. He paused for a moment and began to speak. “You can tell me all about it some other time… My wife is probably getting worried about me.” With that he gave her a reassuring pat on the knee and got up to go and take a quick shower before going home.
         Her lips pinched in anger as the door closed behind him. Luckily the anger was short lived, fading into a numbed sadness. She rested her head on the pillow and yawned. “Anna,” Bruce bellowed as he stepped from the shower and reached for his towel. “I’m calling Tiffany in a moment. Be quiet.”
         “Alright,” she replied as sweetly as possible. Grumbling to herself, she pulled the blanket over her head. Damn that rich prude, she thought bitterly.
         Outside, Tiffany frantically fumbled in her purse to retrieve her cell phone and switch it to silent mode. As her hand graced its screen, her ringtone began to play. It was so loud that she cursed herself for setting it to play the clip of Bruce and her singing romantically to each other at their Christmas party the previous winter.
         At the sound, Anna-Marie leapt into a sitting position, perplexed. What the…
         Bruce threw the bathroom door open with his hand tightened over his somewhat miniature towel. “What are you doing?” he asked Anna-Marie. She only shrugged her shoulders and pointed at the open window. He stalked over and stuck his head through. His eyes scanned the area, but he did not see his wife crouching in the bushes. He walked back over to Anna-Marie and clutched her shirt. “What type of joke are you trying to play with me?” he asked.
         She moaned in pain as she was lifted slightly up by the shirt. “Nothing! What was that?” she paused. “Oh my god, you’re married, aren’t you?” She knew full well that Tiffany was outside and would hear her. She thought that if Tiffany were to bust in and confront him she’d leave the unsuspecting victim of his womanizing alone, and focus her anger totally on him. She honestly just wanted to make herself look innocent and to get the heat off of her.
         With that, Tiffany could no longer control her anger. She had just witnessed her loving husband lift up what appeared to be an innocent and manipulated woman and she could no longer hold it in. She rose to her feet and hoisted herself through the open window-frame.
         Bruce was stunned with disbelief as his wife appeared right before his very eyes. With that, he thoughtlessly dropped Anna-Marie. She let out a gasp, turning her head to see the vile woman she envied so badly. She was slightly relieved, however, that Tiffany was scorning at Bruce and paying Anna-Marie no mind.
         Tiffany’s glare then shifted from Bruce to Anna-Marie. “Is this what you really want, you filthy bastard?” she sneered. Bruce’s face then went a few shades paler as he attempted to think of a good retort. He then became even more disturbed and shouted at Anna-Marie, “Get the fuck out you nasty crackwhore. You’re ruining my marriage!”
         “Tiffany,” he said in a more pathetic tone, “It wasn’t me. She seduced me and it’s all her fault!”
         She shook her head frantically. “You’ve done two things to me tonight.” Her finer waived at the other girl and she continued, “And, you’ve insulted my intelligence. How the freak did you think I caught on to this? Taking some younger, prettier woman out and buying her jewelry? I had a feeling that you were no good from the day I laid eyes on you.” She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, raising her hand to cover her wetting eyes. “Bruce, I… I’ll be calling my lawyer tomorrow. Good bye.”
         Bruce let out a deep sigh as her peered from woman to woman. He then furiously fled the motel, slamming the door behind him.
         Both women were silent for a moment before Tiffany spoke. ‘I’m over it,” she said and sat down next to her. “I guess we’re in the boat. I’m sorry that you, too, were deceived.”
         Knowing that Bruce would be home before her, Tiffany lingered in the hotel room unsure of where else she could go. The last thing she needed in her stressful life was another and possibly worse confrontation.
         As Tiffany stalked back and forth across the room, Anna-Marie gathered her strewn clothing and stole glances at the other woman. “Hey,” she whispered, placing her hand on Tiffany’s shoulder to halt her movement. “We both need to relax. Sit back down… Maybe you’d feel better if you talked to someone about how you’re feeling. I know I will. We’re in this together…. I’ll listen to anything you need to unload, and you can listen to me too if you’d like.”
         It’s working, thought Anna-Marie about half an hour later. She feels pity upon me and no malice. I’m free to go back to my life without all this bullshit.
         Again both women were silent as they both hung their heads sorrowfully. “I heard you talking earlier, Anna-Marie, about your past. It seems the world’s dealt you a bad hand all your life. You don’t seem like that bad of a girl. I know my husband and I know this wasn’t your fault.”
         “That’s okay,” Anna-Marie replied. “Such is life.”
         “Just so you know, you are not alone, young lady. I was molested by my step brother when I was twelve and he was fifteen. The memories will never go away.” Tiffany sighed as a tear came to her eye.
         This is my chance, Anna-Marie thought. I can take advantage of this woman and again be showered with gifts and riches. I must test the waters first.
         Anna-Marie then extended her arms to the then sobbing woman and embraced her with a soft squeeze. “It’s okay.” she said. “I guess that God has a plan for all of us, trials and tribulations that we all must endure. Just remember that you are a stronger woman because of these things that have happened.”
         “Thanks,” replied Tiffany as she wiped the tears from her eyes. “You are a sweet girl. I guess I’m glad we’ve met, actually. You revealed to me the truth about my husband and I actually appreciate it.”
          “You’re welcome,” said Anna-Marie as she flashed a wicked smile and held back an evil cackle.

         A few months had passed and Anna-Marie and Tiffany had become quite close; closer than they had ever imagined. They went on picnics together, to the theater, and had even explored each other.
         In the beginning they lived on the money that Tiffany had in her private bank account that neither she nor Bruce could touch before the divorce was finalized. However, due to their extravagant time together the money had ran out rather quickly. Occasionally Tiffany was persuaded by Anna-Marie to purchase drugs on her behalf, despite the fact that Tiffany had never joined in and disapproved of this behavior.
         With the last few dollars they had they went on the road together, making what they could as escorts, to get by as best as they could. One night, as they stopped at a hotel and the men had departed, excitement was growing as they knew the divorce would soon be finalized. “My lawyer informed me that because Bruce cheated on me that the prenuptial agreement that we had signed will not hold up in court.” Tiffany said with a genuine smile, though she still shook anxiously. There was a small pause before Anna-Marie asked, “What prenupt are you speaking of?” Tiffany replied “I didn’t want to tell you because I thought that you would be mad. Lately your temper has been worrying me.”
         Anna-Marie gave Tiffany a hard stare as her lip twitched angrily. Did I honestly just waste my time on this old hag?
         Without saying a word Anna-Marie jumped up uncontrollably and struck Tiffany as hard as she could in the face, causing Tiffany’s nose to bleed profusely. “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU DID THIS TO ME! I WAS COUNTING ON YOU TO TAKE CARE OF ME...! You don’t love me, do you?” Tiffany sobbed as she apologized to her, “I’m really sorry to have lied to you. Here is all of the money that I made tonight. I hope this helps.” Anna-Marie then snatched the money from Tiffany’s hand and said, “DON’T LEAVE! I need a fix. I’ll be back in about an hour.”

         Tiffany sat in the corner of the hotel room like Anna-Marie had asked her to for punishment. She stole glances when she could. She breathed a sigh as quietly as she could. She’s getting so thin, she thought in distress. For a time she drifted in and out of sleep. During one of her slightly-awake stages she continued to think about the other woman’s declining health. This is the last time I’m allowing her to do this to herself… She’ll thank me someday.
         Her thoughts were interrupted by a blasting siren, and even through the curtains she could see flashing lights. She jumped to her feet. Looking back at Anna-Marie, she gasped when she saw the girl asleep. “Wake up,” she screeched as she grabbed her arm. “We have to get out of here, now!”
         “Uh...” Anna-Marie looked toward the sound of the sirens. But before she could react, the door flew open with a crashing thud. Before either woman could move, three officers grasped them roughly by the arms. Tiffany shouted the first thing that came to her mind. “Leave her alone!” She wrestled away from the officer holder her and took the baggie into her arms. “It’s mine, all mine. She had nothing to do with this.”
         The officers did not particularly believe what this woman was saying, but in their precinct if someone took responsibility for the entire offence, they typically let the other go. The two who held onto Anna-Marie tossed her back down.
         “Ouch, I still have rights, you know?”
         At that moment, as the officers exchanged glances to and from each other to the two women, they then proceeded to place Tiffany in handcuffs and escort her out of the hotel door, leaving Anna-Marie free to go as she wanted. “Sweetheart,” Anna-Marie bellowed, “I will be there to get you out as soon as I can. Don’t worry. You’ll be out soon. I love you!” You had better hope Bruce’s prenupt doesn’t hold up in court, or I’ll freakin’ strangle you to death, you withered bag! she thought. She watched as Tiffany -- the woman who had taken the blame for HER drugs out of true love -- as she was led out the door cuffed and sobbing.

         A few days had passed when Tiffany’s cell phone began blaring that wretched tune. Anna-Marie jumped to her feet to answer it. Tiffany was still waiting for her to come and bond her out. “Hello,” she said to the caller with the best impression of Tiffany’ voice that she could.
         “This is Tom,” the man on the line said, “and I have bad news for you.”
         Holding back the quivering in her voice she asked, “What news would that be?”
         “Bruce’s prenupt did hold up. It’s not so much that your case had no merit. It’s just that he could afford a more influential lawyer for this case. I’m sorry,” he said.
         “YOU INCOMPETANT FOOL!” Anna-Marie screamed at the top of her lungs, forgetting to alter her voice. She proceeded to throw the cell phone across the room, busting it in two. With that, Anna-Marie sauntered toward the front door, snatching up the car keys as she passed the end table. With only a momentary pause she revved up the engine and irately sped down the street, in the opposite direction of the jail. She threw her middle finger in the air as she glanced back at the hotel one last time.
         All this time wasted for nothing and with nobodies. I deserved so much more.


~FIN~
© Copyright 2008 RavenDiamond (raven_diamond at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1476530-The-Escort