*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1476652-Sweetest-Name-I-Know
Rated: E · Chapter · Regional · #1476652
With me every hour, Keeps me singing as I go
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus,
Sweetest name I know,
with me every hour,
keeps me singing as I go!

The song director at our church loved Gospel music, and it showed. He was in hog heaven standing at the podium, waving his hands as he directed the congregation in song. The first few were always fast, easy to sing along with, meant to pep everyone up for what was to come. Pastor would be standing right behind him, Bible in hand, thumping it against the other hand in beat to the music. Everyone was smiling and laughing, the atmosphere was electric. The piano playing was much more in the vein of Ragtime than of Hymnal. Hand clapping and arm waving were allowed, as was shouting, and all were employed in worship. Eventually a soloist would sing, or sometimes a duo, trio or quartet. Their songs were usually more somber, though, not near as much fun as the others.

On a hill far away
stood an Old Rugged Cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame...

It was hard to sit still for the slow stuff, but I knew that as soon as it was over, preaching would start. That was what I liked!

It's almost time for preaching!
© Copyright 2008 Philip Livingston (clydebliv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1476652-Sweetest-Name-I-Know