*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477285-Soul-Shopping
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Death · #1477285
The devil is always looking for a few good recruits Flash Fiction
The bullet hung suspended in mid-air between the gun and the man who was the intended target.

Evan found himself suddenly transported to a position perpendicular to the bullet’s flight giving him a perfect view of both himself, shooting the gun, and the stranger, preparing to catch the round with his forehead.

What the hell is going on? he asked himself.

“What the hell indeed,” said a deep voice, its source a large shadowy figure standing at Evan’s side.

The air was suddenly cold. Evan instantly knew the score. Here he was at a convenience store, a robbery was about to turn into a killing, and he was the killer. The big dude next to him wasn’t here to sell slushies, he was here to make a deal.

Evan didn’t get scared easily, and this was not going to be an exception. “What do you want?” he said.

“I think you know what I want. You are about to blow this poor guy’s head all over the candy display. I can use a guy like you. Whatever you want, name your price and it’s yours. All I get in return is your soul. I won’t be collecting for years; sort of a lower earth lay-away plan.”

Evan smiled at the idea before responding with, “Fuck off tail-boy.”

Instantly, Evan returned to where he held the gun in his hand. The shot he fired did, in fact, make a mess of the candy display. A few moments later, a terrified clerk peeked out from behind the counter and then quickly stood up in relief. He rushed over to thank off duty officer Evan Sheffield for saving his life.

Evan smiled and helped himself to a Slim Jim. “Sorry about the mess,” he said as he phoned in the incident.

Word count 298

© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1477285-Soul-Shopping