*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478525-Southern-Vocab-for-the-Northern-Person
Rated: E · Other · Comedy · #1478525
A list of weird southern words with funny definitions.
War of Northern Aggression: the Civil War
War for Southern Independence: The Civil War
War Between the States: the Civil War

Sweet tea: it’s a tea where you freeze tea overnight in sugar and then let the sugar (gobs and gobs of it) dissolve the next morning.  Lots of calories, huge portions.
Y’alls trippin: You’re wrong
Well butter me butt and call me a biscuit: An expression of shock. 
Cute as a baby’s butt: a way of telling someone their attractive.  Wouldn’t you want to look like a butt?
Gooder than grits: better tasting than a very deeply fried concoction
Bless her heart: no offense, used after MOST insults (She’s just the most awful person on the planet and I hate her guts.  In fact I want ot rip her to shreds, bless her heart.)
Yessum: yes
Nome: no
Fiddle: violin
Y'all: the singular for you
All y'all: this is the plural for you all, but it also adds more emphasis, as if to say “every single one of you”
Porch sitt'n: when you decide to wake up at five in the morning just to sit on your porch and spy on the freaking neighbors.
Spying of the neighbors: looking in peoples windows like a crazy stalker person.
Coon Hunting: this is the most disgusting thing I have ever heard of.  Basically it's when you go out with a pack of dogs and a gun.  Then you shoot raccoons in the trees, but not so that they'll die.  You shoot them in the legs so that they'll fall from the trees.  Then you unleash the dogs, which rip the raccoon to shreds.
suckers: lollipops (it's not a brand name, it's just another term for a lollipop.  Apparently.)
booger'd up: when something doesn't work
all booger'd up: when something doesn't work and is unfixable
tennis shoes: apparently, no one uses "sneakers"
urine: the opposite of "you're out"
fixin' to:  what weird people say when they mean "I'm gonna"
Lititure: literature
Progrum: program
Perpendickeler: perpendicular
Ajjedive: Adjective
Them letters: the alphabet (really?)
Beat the dead horse: to overdo something
“Ya’ caan’t speak southern ‘less ya’ speak ‘Mericaan.”: You can’t speak Southern unless you speak American.  I still don’t know what this means, but I assure you, I am actively pursuing a definition.
Speaking Mexican: to speak Spanish (racist?)

I appreciate any other phrases and definitions sent via comment.
© Copyright 2008 Natalia Laucys (mlbeantowngirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478525-Southern-Vocab-for-the-Northern-Person