*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478694-Transfiguration
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Sleeve
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1478694
deconstruction of the fabric of the universe.
I managed to stumble through the doorway, clothes saturated to an ungodly extent by the rainfall.
I stood in the doorway briefly, attempting to regain composure, as the rain poured into the door horizontally and in a river down to the basement.
‘Shut the door, holy shit!”
I quickly obeyed and I stared up at my friend (who had the same name as me).
He was dry and I was very wet, and there were several other things that set us apart, but our names were strikingly similar.
“Did you get them?” I asked.
My friend smiled.
“That’s why I called you over here. Let’s go into the backyard, we can use them out there.”
We crossed through the house, and I left a distinct trail of moisture. By the time we were on the other side of the house, the sun had come out and it had stopped raining, leaving me veritably pissed off.
We went outside into the backyard, which was covered in grass and ancient swing-set ruins. There was a large fence at the other side of the yard, separating my friend’s property from a large condominium complex. He opened the gate in the fence.
“No, no, no! We can’t do this. I thought we said no negotiations with the enemy.”
My friend shrugged his shoulders.
“Things are a bit different now.”
He opened the gate, and I was afraid.
But the condominiums were gone, and there was nothing in its place. When we were 5 or 6, it had used to be a wide dirt field marred by bulldozer tracks, and it got filthy muddy when it rained. It was like that now, and my friend smiled at me.
“Let’s try them here.” He touched my shoulder briefly, and I wondered what he was going to do next.
From his pocket he pulled out a handful of something. I saw that they were bugs, maggots or mealworms. Or not.
“Can we try it?” I was a bit anxious to be completely out of my head.
“Watch this first.” My friend seized a bug between two fingers and cast it out onto the empty dirt field.
The muddy ground liquefied and waves formed on its surface as a spring breeze blew. Mad hungry piranhas began flipping in and out of the wavy ground at a voracious pace. Before long, the worms had been devoured, and the ground stopped groaning and waving, and the fish disappeared into the ground again.
“I want to try.” I held out my hand, and my friend dropped two of the dead creatures. One of them rolled out of my palm and fell at my foot.
“Damn.”
We sank into the ground as it blended and melted, and the hungry fish leapt around our necks.
I clawed, and we clawed, and the dirt got under our fingernails, and into our lungs. Then it was silent for a very long time.

“Have you ever eaten one of them?” My friend’s voice sounded thick.
“Yes” I replied, “They will mess you up though.”
“How?”
“I ate one once. Things didn’t get distorted, or weird or anything. But a picture got burned into my eyes. An alien god was dissected alive inside my mind, they tore apart his body and the entrails encircled the galaxy.”

They took out what made him holy.

© Copyright 2008 Sleeve (sleeve89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478694-Transfiguration