*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478815-Ankoku
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1478815
Short Story Scene written for a class.
         Nusutto froze, keeping his body as still as he possibly could. He was trying to fit his too large body into a small aperture, desperate to avoid being seen. A simple job, no chance of danger, he thought to himself. He cursed quietly. It was supposed to be quick and easy, just a in-out job. Now if only he'd remembered to mention the guards!
         He edged his way along the ledge, trying to keep from falling off. Three stories up, his reflexes wouldn't make much of a difference, and the noise would give him away if he fell. He'd been lucky so far. When he'd first come in, about three hours ago at this point, he'd slipped right past the guards without ever noticing them. The issues had started about five minutes after that, when he'd slipped past the camera's and alarms, and was nearing the objective, when he'd gotten very unlucky.
         Apparently, It was just about time for a shift change in the guards, and one of the smarter ones had taken the initiative to go to the bathroom before his shift started, and that is where the problems started. Though he'd managed to avoid the guard who was on his way out of the bathroom, he'd run into another guard, who sounded the alarm. Since then, he'd led the entire cadre of guards from one end of the building to another, trying to lose the guards and get to his objective at the same time. After about an hour of this, he'd given up, and had set his sights on just getting out, planning on returning the next night.
         However, his luck seemed to have run out. It seemed to him that it had gotten harder to get out of the building than it was to get to the items inside, and he was beginning to worry. For now, he had the advantage, but after three hours of evasion, he was tiring. It was a struggle not to stop, and pant for breath, and the only thing keeping him moving was the knowledge that if he stayed in one spot for more than a minute or two, he would be found, and the chase would start again in truth, instead of this half-hearted mess.
         He had one last trick up his sleeve, but he knew that if it failed him, and for one reason or another he couldn't use it, he would be completely exposed. He quickly reviewed what he would need to do in order for it to work. He would need about 5 minutes of breathing space, a clear line of sight, and a loud noise.
         He shrugged. The dart launcher he had could fire his grappling hook and rope out of it, but it was chancy. He had to be up high, as the only way for it to work would be if he could cross the line with speed, and that meant using it as a zip-line. Thus, the roof was about his only bet, because his second worry would be finding something to secure it to. The roof would surely have both the height and the anchor points to suffice, but he would also be extremely visible up there, with the floodlights pointed as they were.
         This was where the second part came in. He needed both a way to get the guards on the roof (He had yet to go up there, but it stood to reason that they would have someone there.) off of the roof, so that he could use it, but he also heeded some kind of distraction to keep all of the guards busy for the time he needed. It would also need to be loud, as the sound of the grappling hook connecting with it's target on the other end would be plainly audible if they were alert and listening. Thus the homemade flashbang grenade he had would be useful.
          This left him with only coming up with the distractions. He had an idea for how to get them to a room with one entrance,and get them convinced he was in there, but he wasn't sure if the rooftop guards would come down for that. He needed some way to get them down first, so that he could likely get them swept up in the frenzy. He pondered for a bit, then had an idea. It was slightly evil, and more than a little sadistic, but it just might work.
         He dropped through the next window he came across, went and set up his trap on the downstairs room, and waited until the next patrol had gone by, then moved up to the third story room next to the steps to the roof. He waited until a lone guard came by, then popped out behind him, muffled his mouth, and knocked him unconscious. He dragged him down to the room downstairs, ran back up to the stairs to the roof, and yelled quite loudly. He then sprinted back to the room downstairs, and shook the man awake. Closing the door behind him, he darted over to a room across the hall, and waited a moment. He was rewarded with the sound of muffled yelling, then the sight of dozens of men running to the door. insinuating himself into the group, he moved steadily towards the stairs, a thin line of fishing line trailing behind him. Luckily, they hadn't noticed the package situated directly above the door frame. Reaching the midway point up the stairs to the roof, he turned and gave a quick tug one the fishing line. A muffled clink could be heard, and to a man the guards looked at the package above the door, puzzled by what had made the sound.
         Moments later, many, many howls of pain could be heard as his flashbang went off, blinding and deafening every guard but the one inside the room, who could only imagine what had happened to his friends when the muffled explosion had gone off.
         Nusutto, who had wisely plugged his ears the second he pulled on the line, trotted up to the top of the building, very happy with himself. It's not worth it to go back for the package, but at least I'm getting out, and without a scratch on me. He pulled out his dart launcher and the hook, and calmly aimed it and fired it directly into the lower branches of a tree outside of the grounds. He turned to tie off his end of the rope, and met up with the business end of a shotgun. He wasn't sure what kind, due to the fact that he was much more concerned about the fact that it was pointed at his head.
         "Well now. Looks like I caught me the rat that's been scurrying around this place. What'd ya do to mah friends downstairs, eh?" Nusutto let out his held breath. At least he wasn't going to die right then and there. His mind began racing, trying to think of a way out of this. He couldn't fight; all it would take would be one hit from that shotgun and he'd be down. He sighed mentally. "I didn't do anything. I'm just taking advantage of fortuitous chance here. Not fortuitous enough it seems."
         The man grunted. "Yeah. Righ'. I'm supposed t' believe that you got lucky enough ta have just about all o' us blinded, and ya had nothing to do wit it? Tha's crap an' ya know it."
         Nusutto shrugged. "Believe it or not, it's your choice. We can go down there, and I'll show you the exact sequence of events leading up to this, though I doubt that will change your mind." He gestured with his right hand, waving towards the stairs. "I'll lead if you'd like. I don't mind." He turned, and headed towards the stairs. The other man hesitated, then followed. When Nusutto stopped at the top of the stairs, the man lowered the gun slightly. "What's the hold up? Let's get going." It was the break Nusutto had been waiting for. Spinning, he grabbed the shotgun, and pulled. As he'd expected, the man refused to let go, pulling him along with it, running him straight into Nusutto's extended leg, where he promptly tripped down the stairs. Whistling to himself, Nusutto trotted back over, tied the rope off, and went about ziplining himself down to the other end, narrowly avoiding meeting the tree on the other end at a very high speed. He elected to get to know the ground better instead. Spitting dirt and leaves, and berating himself for forgetting that the other end was supposed to have something soft at it, he stood up. The shouts coming from the building were much quieter out here.
         He grinned, stuck his hands in his pockets, and whistled his way on down the street. Maybe the customer would be mad, but all in all, he felt he'd done a pretty good night's work.
© Copyright 2008 Denkou Uindo (aendri at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1478815-Ankoku