*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479361-The-Street-Lamp-Pt-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jeremy
Rated: E · Other · Drama · #1479361
More investigating into the flickering street lamp reveals something odd.
The Street Lamp
Part 2

He stared at the paper with the two Morse code messages written on it and having an inkling of an idea, he grabbed the city employee directory and flipped through to find a number for street light maintenance. He dialed the number listed and waited patiently for an answer.
“Hi, this Tony,” a male voice answered.
“Hi Tony. This is Mike from the Public Utility Office. I have a situation regarding a street lamp on Cherokee Way.”
“Okay,” said Tony. “What seems to be the problem?”
“Well, a street lamp has been flickering a message in Morse code for a week or two, maybe longer.”
“What?” said Tony. “What do you mean Morse code?”
“It sounds crazy, I know. But an older gentleman called about a week ago and reported that a street lamp was flickering a message in Morse code. He said the message kept repeating itself.”
“Like…what kind of message?” Tony said with hesitation in his voice.
“Well the message said, ‘Help us,’ and then, ‘Beware of the thing that comes out at night.’”
“You’re being serious,” Tony said realizing this wasn’t a practical joke.
“Yeah I’m being serious,” said Mike. “We actually had a relative of another city worker who knows Morse code come out to verify it. This is real. I’m trying to figure out what’s going on.”
“What are you going to do?” Tony asked.
“I’m considering doing some digging to see what’s going on with the electrical wires.”
“Well, I guess that’s a start. Are you calling me for assistance?”
“Actually, yeah,” confirmed Mike.
“Okay. Give me about half an hour. I’m working on something, but I can meet you in the lobby of the city office building.”
“Yeah, that’s perfect,” said Mike. “I’ll see you there.”
“Sounds good,” added Tony.
The two men met and drove out to Cherokee Way. Tony being over street lamp maintenance knew where to dig to find the electrical cables. Before long, they had dug a couple feet down into a metal box, which housed all the cables. They opened the box and looked down in. All the cables looked normal, with one exception.
“That’s weird,” said Tony.
“What?” asked Mike, a little intrigued.
“Do you see that yellow wire attached to the black cable?” he said pointing to two of the cables.
“Yeah.”
“That’s not supposed to be there. Someone has tampered with it, but they knew what they were doing when they hooked the wire to the cable.”
“Hmm…,” said Mike, a little more intrigued.
“Let me see if I can see something,” Tony said, leaning down into the metal box. “Do you have a flashlight with you?” Mike quickly retrieved a flashlight, and Tony did some more investigation.
“This just keeps getting stranger,” said Tony. “The yellow wire seems to disappear into the ground.”
“So what does that mean?” asked Mike.
“I don’t really know,” said Tony. “Do you feel like digging a deeper hole under this thing about two feet over there?” Tony added pointing to the area where the wire disappeared into the ground.
Another thirty minutes later, the men had dug another hole under the metal casing housing the electrical cables. There was a hole in the casing where the wire fed through. More importantly there was a man-sized tunnel that the wiring ran down. The tunnel now held the undivided attention of both men. How did the tunnel get there? Why was it there? Tony shone the flashlight down the tunnel, which lead down in the earth about twenty feet.
“What on earth is this?” Mike said. He knew no one would answer his question, but no other words could describe what he was thinking.
Before either man could fully grasp what they were looking at, something else completely shocked them. A voice from deep down in the dirt tunnel, twenty feet below the ground surface called out. “Hello? Is anybody there?” Then a face appeared at the bottom of the tunnel, near the end of the light beam from the flashlight.









© Copyright 2008 Jeremy (jthorne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1479361-The-Street-Lamp-Pt-2