*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481403-Come-and-Dine
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1481403
Andrew received a mysterious invitation to the mansion on Timberline Hill...
Come and Dine!


The shiny silver blade of my ivory embossed letter opener effortlessly sliced the edges of the pressed linen envelope that arrived in my mailbox today. Inside was an invitation written in beautiful calligraphic handwriting. It was a request for my presence at the mansion up on Timberline Hill. It read:

“Dear Andrew,
Because of the sincerity of your Christian testimony and your desire to answer the call of God on your life, you have been chosen to attend the gathering of the greatest leaders of all time. We request your presence at a special dinner to be served at:
2770 Timberline Hill
Tomorrow evening – 7:00pm
Attire is casual – come as you are
Bring – a teachable heart.

Strange as it sounded, I felt deep inside that this could be the chance of a lifetime and I did not want to miss out on the thrill. To learn from the greatest leaders of all time…. What exactly did that mean?

Finally the time came and I arrived at Timberline Hill. It was a neighborhood of great prominence. Only the elite lived in this secluded community. The pillar fronted homes were eloquently landscaped with dark green conifers and sculptured vines. Softly colored flowers graced the cultured stone walkways. The awesome beauty of the place drew my breath away as I timidly approached the massive entrance way. I knocked twice and the door opened.

A most gracious man dressed in white bowed slightly to me and motioned for me to come in. “Welcome” was all I heard him say.

The room was filled with men and women of all ages. Amongst them I found a young lad full of joy. On his chest, he wore a tag called ‘Brave Friend’. There was an older gentleman with stark white hair and beard who spoke with a pronounced stutter, his tag read ‘Obedient’.

What’s with the tags? I wondered to myself. Name tags would be understandable, but word tags? I don’t get it. My curiosity was peaked so I began to search out what the others were wearing.

One older gentleman was wearing, ‘Faithful’. A tanned young woman wore ‘Courage’ pinned to her beautiful blue gown. The distinguished middle-aged man sitting to my left wore ‘Wisdom’, and still another younger fella with eyes that sparkled like the sun, proudly wore ‘Loyal’.

Courage, Strength, Truth…..the list went on.

My search was interrupted when the gentleman in white quietly drew our attention his way as he encouraged us to follow him to the room where we would dine. He strolled directly to the head of the table, pulled the chair out and then called my name.

“Me? You want me at the head chair Sir?”

“Yes Andrew, you are the guest of honor tonight. Please be seated.”

This was all too weird, so I turned to him and asked, “What exactly is this? What is going on here tonight? I’m not sure I belong here. Please tell me who these people are and what is with the odd name tags?”

The man in white began, “I will tell you, Andrew. Look around and make a note of the names that you see. These names represent the characteristics of a godly leader. You do remember asking to be one, don’t you?”

“Yes Sir, I do. It was just two Sundays ago in worship service. I felt God calling me into the ministry. It was then that I asked the Lord to prepare me to do a work for Him. But what do all these folks have to do with that?”

“I’m glad you asked.” The stranger said matter-of-factly. “Each person here represents a godly character of old… someone that God had called to serve Him. Each one had to allow Him to shape them and mold them into a useful vessel. Each one had to learn how to give their strengths and weaknesses to God so that He could get all the glory. From there, we came to know them for their godly attributes such as, Faithful, Brave, Strong…..”

“Now my son, I want you to eat and enjoy the feast we have prepared for you. Then stay and learn from the leaders of old who have gone before you. Study them and show yourself a workman approved of God and ready for your Master’s use.”

________________________________________

© Copyright 2008 Lambkeeper (lambkeeper at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481403-Come-and-Dine