*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481619-The-Rebellion
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1481619
The Rebellion of a small community
Back Story



In past years there has been nothing but war and many lands are left desolate of leadership. So the people call out to their unstable bureaucracy and demand a leader. And so the council finds one worthy candidate Donovan the great. This turns sour, but by then Donovan had so much power he was unstoppable, forcing an immense tax on the people. And so it is said one cold October night a small group gathered by the light of a dimming fire, and the shade of a great oak, and discussed their plans for rebellion. A leader emerges Susan Moon, a striking woman with narrowed features but a quick wit and a tongue to boot. Susan decided that if the people obey Donovan, he will soon sully himself to greatness and the tax would be sustainable. They all just needed to help one another and keep peace until the right time for the rebellion. In the mean time she would choose three children whom she would tutor, and one would undoubtedly emerge as the leader of the rebellion. So chosen was Sharly Wright a well known farmers daughter, who could read the stars like a hymn book. Peter Familiar, son of a government official gone missing, when Donovan was put in power. And finally April Rain, an ordinary kid with the will to just be a kid, not a leader. But Susan handpicked them all, and away they went to a high small abandoned castle, with others of the rebellion. And there they are still ‘till the rebellion begins



The Rebellion Begins



“She is going to kill us,” I yelled to Sharly, who was barely awake.

“These 4:00 AM gatherings, is what is going to kill us. I can’t feel my legs at 4 AM.”

“Sharly,” I yelled. “Get dressed. The way I see it we have about three minutes to make it to the great hall before Susan bites our heads off.”

“The way I see it, April, we have no minutes before she bites our heads off, and you know why,”

I couldn’t answer, I was incapacitated at the time, pretty much frozen due to the fact that Susan was standing right in front of me, a grimace on her face, and Peter Familiar at her coat tail.

“Why,” Susan said to Sharly, who dropped her pants to the ground and everything with it. “Please tell me. Because then you can tell me, why it is 4:09 and you are practically naked. And here in your room, when you are to be in the Great Hall. You see Pete here, was awake and dressed before the both of you, which means he chooses today’s activities. Enough nonsense get your clothes on, and get downstairs.”

And with that she shut our bedroom door. Sharly broke down in tears in a circle on the floor. I played like I was going to kick her and she didn’t even flinch.

“Sharly,” I cooed. “Get up, you’ll only get in more trouble is she finds out you cried over that. That was mild, compared to what she could have done. C’mon this day is going to be good, I can feel it.”

So my words encouraged Sharly enough to get dressed and a company me to the great hall, where we would began our first lesson.



“Leading is an art form. You must steady your people as well as the company you keep. April Rain come to the center floor. As leader of this country who do you serve,”

“Our higher power,” I replied, feeling the cold stone floor under my bare feet.

“Very good, you may be seated, Sharly, replace her on the center floor.”

“As leader of this country who else do you serve,”

Sharly hesitated for quite sometime until Susan said, “Hesitation is a sign of weakness. Sharly how bad do you want to run this country.”

“Bad, Dr. Moon.” She replied.

Then Susan stood and said, “Then when I ask you a question, give me an answer. I will ask you one last time, who do you serve as leader of this country.”

“The people,” I said.

“Insolence,” Susan yelled and pointed at me.

Oh God I did not mean to speak, I mean the answer was the people. Sharly knew that, Pete knew that, I just said it.

Susan straightened up, “Sharly, Pete, find yourselves something constructive to do, outside, now.”

The scooted out of there and there I was face to face with beauty, brains, and brawn.

“I apologize, Su….”

“Hold your tongue. First I will speak. I am torn, because on one hand I should punish you, but on the other I should applaud. Punish you for interrupting, a skill for the weak. But applaud given for knowing the answer. I think I will do a little of both. Stand up. You will eat your meals for two days in solitude in the library.”

Then she put her hand under my chin, “Sharly and Pete are your competition. Now I am not saying do not befriend them. But always keep in your mind they also want to lead the rebellion. But I have a secret, that will be revealed in time. Also, your punishment, is also a present. Read as much as you can about the leaders before you, and from their mistakes, grow the leaders of tomorrow. And now April Rain…”

The bell in the clock tower sounded, meaning something had happened. Sharly and Pete ran inside. Blood was on Pete but it wasn’t his own.

Susan looked collected, “Pete what happened.”

“It was horrible Susan.”

“Peter, feel the emotion and let it go. Tell me what happened in wise mind.”

“Yes, okay, well there was a farmer by the gate selling his wares, when a knight a dressed in black armor, killed him there.”

“For what reason,”

“Do they have to have one,” Sharly blurted out.

“Sharly, what are you are experiencing is shock an emotion. Regulate it. I think you are quite done feeling it now toss it away. Now, this story does not explain why Pete has blood on his shirt, and why no bloody staff have come to tell me the news.”

“I went to help him,” Pete said. “The man before he died. He lay in my arms and…”

Pete fell over sobbing.

Susan pulled him up by his collar.

“I will have none of that. Before I vent about my insolent staff I want all of you to look at me. We are going to radically accept the fact that that man died for the cause of the rebellion. And that his soul is resting somewhere. Am I completely understood and ratified by your company.”

We nodded.

“Good then. The gate must be unprotected now, meaning we must move further north. Go to your rooms and gather only that that you can carry, and meet me back here. Do this with haste I do not know how long we have, or how we will make our journey. But one thing I am certain, I will do all that is in my power to protect my students. And now your lessons must become your life you must live in the moment. And be great leaders of men who cannot lead themselves, for the rebellion has began, and Donovan must fall.

© Copyright 2008 Ashywriter (ashywriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481619-The-Rebellion