*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481758-Ms-V-chpt-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by El
Rated: E · Chapter · Other · #1481758
Chpt 2 of Ms. V. Conversation with granddaughter, intro to new characters
The breeze was gentle and my thoughts mingled with the light fragrance of jasmine as I continued to sip my tea and watch my granddaughter.  The silence between us was easy and comfortable.  I did have a thought that needed to be addressed and now was the perfect time to bring it up.

" When do you start school, darling?"

" Mid September.  I'll have about three months to work before I start which is good.  With tuition so high, I'll need the money.  I've also completed most of the Student aid paperwork and have applied for tons of scholarships, too."

"I would be glad to help with the costs, Rayne."  I said, knowing that neither she, nor my daughter would ever ask for the money.

" You know mom would never take your money, gram, even though its being offered."

" What about an anonymous contributor?  Oh, I like the sound of that! How exciting that would be!  And, if you register yourself as a non-profit organization, I may even get a tax deduction! Is that possible?" I was only half joking, making a mental note to self to call the school myself and enquire about the contribution, not the non-profit!

" Gram! You're kidding right! Who thinks of things like that?  You crack me up!" she sputtered into her glass.

I sat there smiling at her, enjoying her amusement.

"What are you smiling about Gram?"

" Just smiling at the thought of having you home for another four years.  I'd been preparing for the inevitable good bye, but now that isn't necessarily going to happen.  We can still have lunch dates and continue just like now, at least for a while yet!"

I smiled again at this, grateful to have such a loving and trusting relationship with her.  If we hadn't been so close, the shadow passing across her face would have been imperceptible.

" Whats wrong, Rayne?"

She looked up at me, the shadow gone now.  I searched her soft green eyes, easy mirrors to her inner self.  I saw worry,  I saw struggle...she wanted to tell me, but wasn't sure.  I braced myself and let my face go blank in hopes to reassure her that she could tell me anything and I would help her through it. After a few moments she asked,

" You know about those Internet sites like MySpace, Gram?"

" Sure.  I have my own Facebook page, and so do you. I don't like MySpace."

" I know.  I made a MySpace profile cause most of my friends have them and  I started posting things about my plays and pictures and things.  It was just for fun and easy since so many of my friends do it. But, for awhile now, there's been this guy who's been posting some things and sends emails asking some pretty personal questions. Sometimes its pretty sexually oriented and I've told him that I'm not into that, and that I won't reply to those types of questions.  At first he seemed to laugh about it and stopped for awhile.  Then he started again and I blocked him.  You know, so he couldn't have access to my profile anymore."

" Well, he somehow got my private email address and this last email made me really uncomfortable. It was almost threatening.  And last night, coming home from the Arts Center, I swear someone was following me as I walked to my car.  It was very creepy.  I've also been getting several anonymous calls on my cell phone although the return number has been blocked.  I've never given out my cell number to any strangers so I don't know whats going on!"

" Rayne, did you tell your mom about this?"

"Not yet.  She's busy with her new job and on edge herself.  I didn't want to worry her.  Its likely just nothing and I'm being silly!"

" You need to tell her, Rayne.  And you need to report this to the police.  You can talk to Adam and let him help you with the report."

" A police report! On what, Gram.  I don't know anything about the guy.  He never left any responding email address, no pictures, no identifiable information.  I didn't see anyone following me, it was just a creepy sensation that I was being followed.  How do you make a report about that?"

" I don't know.  But Adam will know how to handle this and if we can't file a report, at least he has been made aware!  I don't know Rayne, I hope its nothing, too. But most "bad feelings" like that turn out to be accurate and you have no idea who this man is or what he's capable of!"

" Ok, ok.  I'll talk to Adam and I'll let mom know.  Boy, I wonder if this is how the movie starts feel? With their fans following them everywhere?" She was trying to lighten the conversation, but the small seed of fear in my stomach as she told me what happened started growing again.

" I don't think most fans send threatening emails or stock the stars they adore! That crosses into another dimension all together, Rayne."

We sipped our tea in silence for awhile.  both letting our minds ponder that and hope we were both over reacting, that the man was harmless.  The silence was eventually broken by squeals of delight coming from two houses away.  Randy was outside with Willy.  A jolly, forever smiling little boy who seemed to take absolute delight in, well.. everything! Randy was taking the recycle bins to the curb for morning pick up and Willy was joyously carrying small arm loads of cans and tossing them into the bin.  With each toss, maybe one landed in the container and two or three landed on the ground and rolled away.  Willy would laugh and squeal and bend to try and pick up the roll-away cans.  Turning his little round body around and around to try and grab them before they rolled off the sidewalk.  He would eventually lose his balance and plop onto his bottom and sit there laughing hysterically!

Oh, the complete innocent joy! If we all could see the enjoyment and simplicity in the everyday tasks we do, what a better world we would live in. The innocence of a child is a heart warming miracle to be a witness to.  Too bad adulthood jades us.

Rayne got up, drawn to Willy as much for his laughter, as by the need for a distraction.

" Willy!" she exclaimed.

" Rayne!" Willy called back.  Hefting his weighted bottom off the sidewalk, somewhat gaining balance and teetering toward her. Rayne had babysat Willy and his sister, Emma, so often they considered her family. She grabbed him up and started kissing his chubby cheeks and chin, bringing new gales of delighted laughter from Willy.

" You are such a beautiful, little angel!"

"I no angel, Rayne.  Me's a pirate!" Willy grabbed both of her cheeks and put his nose to hers, " Argggg!" he said in his gruffest pirate voice.

" Pirate, huh. Well, to me you'll always be a little angel!" she pulled him close and hugged him again.

She really loved this little boy.  Rayne never had any siblings and I think she kind of uses Emma and Willy as substitutes. She often comes by and takes Emma to the park or shopping with her.  She keeps two car seats permanently in her car to accommodate both kids and she always makes their birthdays special with a day planned just for them.  The kids love it.  Randy and Jane always comment that the kids love and adore her so much that they never want to have anyone else look after them! Except me, of course! But I think I get second favor only because they know that its very likely Rayne will come over if she knows they are with me!

" Hey Randy!" Rayne calls out.

" Hi ya Rayne. How goes things young lady?"

Rayne puts Willy down, takes his hand and walks over to Randy.

" Things are going great! Did Gram tell you I'm going to U of P this fall? Means another four years of playing with these monsters!"

" I'm a pirate, Rayne, no a monster.  Arggg!"

" Oh right! A pirate!" she tousled his blond hair.

" Thats great, Rayne.  I know Jane will be glad to hear that, as will Emma."

" How is Jane, by the way?"

Randy's face immediately took on a pained, concerned look.  Jane suffers from fibromyalgia and has been having more frequent flair ups lately.

" Well, she has her good days and her bad days." Randy tried to smile. " Its just so hard because she can't do what she wants to do. With the kids, for her work...some days she can't even get out of bed."

"I'm so sorry, Randy." Rayne said, " I know its hard...for both of you." Rayne's hand went up to Randy's shoulder and their eyes met...for just a fraction too long.

" Rayne!" I called, walking toward them. " Here's your tea."

" Hi Ms. V." Randy smiled at me, left Rayne to plant a kiss on my cheek. " How are you? The front yard looks great!"

"Why, thank you! Its a labor of love, you know." I said, inserting myself between them.  "Did I hear you say that Jane isn't feeling well?  Anything I can do?"

" Naw, maybe just a visit to say "hi" and cheer her up!"

" I'll do it this afternoon. And how is my little man?" I cooed to Willy.

Smiling, he said, " I Big Boy Nana V, not man!"

" Oh, Big Boy it is then.  Where's Emma today, Willy?"

" School.  I go too!" he stated excitedly.

" Thats right , Willy," Randy said, " You start preschool tomorrow."

" Really? Already?" stated Rayne.  She once again bent down to him and said fondly, " You really are getting to be a big pirate!" Willy giggled.

" ARRGH!" he exclaimed, and off he went, back to the cans.

" So, Randy, just an FYI...I, um, mentioned the dying boxwoods this morning to Adam. I think he'll be paying you a visit today." I said sheepishly.

" You did, huh.  Well good. Maybe we can finally get this out in the open.  Besides, I have a few other "things" to bring to his attention." He pointed to the fresh pile of dog waste on a shovel next to the shed.  Neighbors! I thought, stiffling a smile.
© Copyright 2008 El (lkg4wrd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1481758-Ms-V-chpt-2