*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1482803-Death-is-not-Goodbye
Rated: E · Short Story · Tragedy · #1482803
There is a reason for everything, but she was my friend, and I never got to say goodbye.
Everything was fine, the day started like any other. Who could have known it would end that way? Lights are flashing, people are screaming, and some are crying, but none of it means anything anymore. Nothing can undo what has been done, and nobody can give back what was lost. Even in the darkest of times you’re never alone……

         “Hey, girl we still hanging tonight?” She asked me with a smile. I shrugged and slipped on my jacket. Just by the look on her face I knew she could read my answer.
         “I’ve got other plans……sorry” I told her nicely, but she rolled her eyes and huffed. Oh how I wish I had known. I draped my arm around her shoulder as we set off down the halls. “Oh come on you know you still love me.” I teased with a smile.
         “Yea….sure.” She bitterly muttered putting her arm on mine and shoving it off. Of course she was angry. She had every right to be I had completely blown her off, but I would make it up to her. I mean after all I couldn’t invite her to go along she would be miserable with my other friends. “I’m guessing you’re with the divas tonight?”
         “Yep, but with all the drama it’s going to be a headache you’re not missing anything. I don’t even want to go.” She rolled her eyes aggravated at me. God she was so sensitive I’ll just hang with her tomorrow it’s not big deal. Besides I want to go to this party all my other friends were going to be there.  Finally after several moments of silence I notice her clenched fists. “Are you mad at me?”
         “No, not at all Avery.” Her words dripped with sarcasm. “I mean this is the only the hundredth time you have blown me off for them. You would think I’d get used to it.” Annoyance began to seep into my own actions as she stalked outside of the school.
         “Stop being such a drama queen!” She stopped and gapped at me, and then her eyes narrowed and her arms crossed. The breeze blew through her black hair and she angrily blew it out of her face; her hazel eyes darkened with fury.
         “I’m not being a drama queen! I’m just tired of being put second to them. All they do is talk about you behind your back and you know it!”  I could feel the heat rush to my face as the words rose in my throat. My gut told me to keep my mouth shut because what was said next could never be undone.
         “Ever think I like them better then you, Grace! They know how to go out and have a good time!” I could tell the words stung her, and she shut her eyes as if to collect herself before she spoke again.
         “Maybe they do, but who’s up at two am as your crying on the phone because you and Blake had yet another fight! I’m always there to pull your ass out of trouble, but you’re never around when I need you! So if you like them better, then fine, but next time you need me I won’t be there.” With that she stormed off into the parking lot towards her car. I walked along in the opposite direction towards my house. I should have never let my best friend ride out of my sight that afternoon.

         That night I sat in my room, and tried on a few different outfits for tonight. The skies were growing darker as the time came closer, and I had the urge to call Grace. I wanted to send her a picture of my outfit, and see what she thought, but decided not to. I was not apologizing for what happened though I did think my words were a bit harsh. No, that’s what she wants I’ll give it time to simmer. My guilt increased as I shift through my jewelry box; the friendship necklace we got when we were in eighth grade hung on a ring. Grace was wearing it today which neither of us had done since freshman year. It wasn’t ugly though it was a gold half heart with Best on the top, and at the bottom there was an A. It actually matched my outfit perfectly.
         “She’ll never know I wore it…” I thought as I slipped it around my neck, and again I almost picked up my phone and send her a text. “OMG! You’ll never guess what I’m wearing.” But decided against it, and shoved my phone in my pocket. It was time to go. “First thing tomorrow I’ll apologize.” I mumbled. “It will be like nothing ever happened….”

         Three hours later, midnight, I sat on the couch at Sophia Clark’s house AKA The Head Diva, making out with my boyfriend Blake. A deep sense of dread had been in my stomach all night, and I just couldn’t shake it.  Finally, my cell buzzed in my pocket, and I pushed Blake away to answer it.  It wasn’t Grace like I had hoped instead it was our friend Ava.
         “Avery?” Her voice sounded worried, and panicky. If something was wrong she would have called Grace not me. Grace was the one that fixed things, not me.
         “Hey Ava. What’s up?” I held my ears against the music trying to focus in on just her voice.
         “Avery you need to get down to the Main Street intersection now!” Now it sounded as if Ava was crying, and the commotion wasn’t just from my end of the line.
         “Why? What’s wrong?” I was beginning to worry, and slowly stood from the sofa. Something wasn’t right.
         “It’s Grace…….there’s been an accident. I have no idea what’s going on please just get down here!” With that the other line went dead, and I felt myself freeze. Blake put a hand on my shoulder.
         “Something wrong, babe?” He asked, and at that moment panic set in. I took his hand, and quickly pulled him out of the party. “Babe, Slow down what’s wrong?” He asked, but I couldn’t answer. This couldn’t be happening.
         “I need to get to the Main Street intersection. Grace was in an accident.” I muttered breathlessly him sitting in the passenger’s seat of his car with my nerves wired under my skin. He didn’t question, and put the keys into the ignition. I guess it hadn’t sunk in yet what exactly this could mean, but as I saw the flashing lights of cars and ambulances tears brewed in my eyes. I didn’t even wait for Blake to stop completely before I jumped out of the car, and raced towards the crowd.
         I spotted Ava at the front of the crowd, and ran up behind her pushing past the gathering spectators. Tears streaked down her face, and I soon realized why. Grace’s silver Honda was upside down with the drivers side completely smashed in. Glass sparkled with lights from the emergency vehicles. The Ford truck involved only had its front caved in, and the driver was seated in the back of a police car. None of that matter for what I saw next would be an image I would never erase from my mind.
         Paramedics were hunched over someone, and when they moved aside I noticed long black hair; Grace. My heart stopped; she wasn’t moving. From where I was I could see the gashes on her head, and arms. The paramedics began to load her on to a stretcher.
         “She’s okay. She’s going to be okay.” I muttered absent mindedly as tears poured down my face, and my voice cracked with hysteria. Then I watched in a daze as a sheet was lifted from the ambulance, placed over her face. The world stopped this couldn’t be happening. Not to her, not now. “No, no, no, no…GRACE!” I found myself yelling. One of the paramedics heard my strangled cry. He walked over slowly as I felt Ava clutch at my arm, but I was vaguely aware of her presence.  “Please, tell me she is going to be okay, please….” I found myself moaning desperately to the man. He cast his eyes downward then back up at her.
         “I’m sorry Miss, but you’re friend didn’t make it…” I’m not sure when my knees gave out, but I felt myself falling, and if not for the support from Blake I would have hit the ground.
         “I’m sorry, Avery.” He whispered to me, but I barley heard him. I grabbed his neck, and bawled into his shoulder. “But next time you need me I won’t be there.” Her words swirled in my head. “I’m so sorry Grace, come back, please come back.”
© Copyright 2008 Italian_American (bellaveleno at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1482803-Death-is-not-Goodbye