*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483067-Matriphobia
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1483067
A young man faces his biggest fear for Flash Fiction
His pulse raced as sweat poured down his brow. He stood at the threshold knowing he would take the next step, thereby facing and overcoming his greatest fear.

Brad’s mind took this opportunity to review a few highlights.

There they were, Brad and his best friends racing off of the school grounds as the final bell sounded the end of third grade. They were free! Nothing but lazy days and endless adventures for as far as the eye could see. There were no limits and life was good.

Life’s rolodex flipped forward to settle on … senior year at high school.

The post game party was out of control. Brad and his teammates had just completed a heroic comeback to win the homecoming game against the league rivals. Brad had scored the winning touchdown and now, only hours later, found himself the toast of the party. The cheerleaders were all over him. He looked over at one of his teammates and gave him a thumbs up. Life was good.

Fast forward to …

Graduation caps filled the air as the traditional signal that yet another batch of party animal frat-boys and sorority girls would soon be entering the job market. But for today, it was a time to celebrate the arrival of freedom at long last. No more school, ever! A good job was certainly out there somewhere and from then on it would be easy street.

Brad wiped his brow with the back of his arm. Sure, there had been endless good times but all of that was about to change. That was the crux. That things would be different was a certainty. The fear, the biggest unknown was what that change would mean. Would things be better or worse?

“I do,” Brad said, a smile filling his face.

Word count 300

© Copyright 2008 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483067-Matriphobia