*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483751-My-abuse-as--a-child
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1483751
The death of your children can kill you
I kind of let my grand parents hanging there didn't I. Well after we left Louisiana we traveled to Chicago Ill. with the women dad was with. I don't know how long we stayed I remember being locked in a closet and being hurt. By whom I'm not sure . My dad and I left Chicago alone , and headed back to Sacramento, California. We went back to  picking fruit was a easy job for my dad he had picked cotten his whole life.
I was 5 or 6 years old and my dad had sent for Uncle Benny and he had came to California he was the youngest in the family of 7 children. He was and is the only one in the family who didn't drink , He was always good to me helped my dad care for me. My dad and uncle saved enough money to bring the whole family to California! Oh happy day Grandma and Grandpa came .We got them this little 2 bedroom house and I was able to stay with them some. Then my Grandma got sick ,about a year after she got to California it was cancer She didn't live long.
I remember the funeral because I thought grandma was taking a nap, and I was playing with a doll on the steps next to the coffin, and when I  got tired I tried to get into the coffin with grandma. To this day I miss her she used to rock me in front of the wood stove, and chew snuff and she could spit straight into the stove without missing!  After grandma died grandpa had a hard time, grandma was grandpa's  second wife his first wife was grandma's sister she died in child birth. So losing grandma was like losing her twice. Grandpa lived to 93 stayed single the rest of his life .
So after Grandma died I really didn't have a anchor Uncle Benny married so he had a new family. Dad met Sharon that other" mans wife" she had been married most of her life and had 5 children when she left her husband for my dad . We took off to Louisiana at the time I was about 10 .
But I got ahead of my self , After Uncle Benny married, dad met a woman named Wanda ,she had 5 children when my dad met her. Then she got pregnant and had my half sister Kimberly. We lived with this woman about 1 or 2 years talk about a hard time. Dad and Wanda liked to go to the bar's . We children took care of our self's. The oldest was 16,13,12,10,6, then me at 7 and later the baby . I remember being dropped off with burlap sacks ,in the corn fields of California at night to steal corn. Dad would drop us off and come back in 20 min's and pick us up . We didn't know any different, and  we needed the food, during the 2 years there we did a lot of bad things.
I remember one time someone gave us chickens and Dad and Wanda had been gone a few days and we only had potatoes for the last 2 days so we went out side and chased down a chicken. Here we are all these little kids chasing this poor chicken around and when we caught it  we had to figurer out how to cut its head off. So we the oldest got a hatchet and I held the feet and Rodney held the head and the oldest  chopped the head off, and all of  screamed because blood shot every where so we drop the chicken and it started running without a head ,spurting blood every where, and we thought the thing was chasing us.....Once the stupid thing quit running we had to pluck it, gut it, and cook it. It took hours . Oh but it smelled so good cooking, and we had fried potatoes and gravy. But I had to be the one to carry the chicken to the table ,a BIG plate and wouldn't you know I dropped it and chicken went all over the floor and the plate broke and cut the top of my foot, and I was screaming and blood went ever where. While I was crying the other kids we were scrambling to pick up the chicken! We ate it any way......what's a little dirt and blood for kids .......
I remember the nights, we didn't have enough beds for everyone so we slept all in one bed . There was 6 of us in one bed three at the top three at the bottom. One night we had watch a creepiest movie so were talking and laughing and finally we are drifting off to sleep and a rat jumped onto the bed with us. Oh my goodness we all screamed and stood up and ran and got the  lights turned on. It took a while to settle down but the rats didn't come back that night. How I survived living in that dirty place is beyond me. While we were living with Wanda is when my dad met Sharon, so Dad packed us up and we let Wanda and  we left  California with Sharon and Debbie her youngest of 6 children and we went  to Louisiana.
Why my dad would want to go there I will never now. We moved into this little one bedroom apartment that was about 400 square feet. Sharon had taken her youngest who was 5 and I was about 8 . I don't know why  but that woman never liked me. Our first time alone and she wanted to make sure I understood my place. She said she didn't want me didn't like me and if it wasn't for my dad I won't be there. Of course my dad didn't' know she said that, not that it would have made a difference. We were in that little place 1 or two months my dad couldn't get a job he got drunk and he gave Sharon her first beating for some reason it really scared me ,and little Debbie we hid behind the couch the screams ,and crying was hard to take for both of us. Debbie being only 5, I held her while she cried, and kept telling her it will be over soon , and  the next morning Sharon had  a black eye and some bruises. She was quiet and dad was apologetic  After a few days we loaded up the car and drove back to California.
© Copyright 2008 Destinys (destinys at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1483751-My-abuse-as--a-child