*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1485259-Thirst
Rated: E · Novel · Fantasy · #1485259
Thirst. That’s the only thing I could think of as I woke up other
Thirst. That’s the only thing I could think of as I woke up other than the sting that ran through my veins. I felt as if I was on fire.
         I didn’t open my eyes to see who else was there.  I didn’t want to. I just wanted to know how to put the fire out. I didn’t bother to move or even breathe. I was afraid to. The man that had become my friend had betrayed me. He had hurt and changed me emotionally, physically, and mentally. He didn’t beat me or break my heart. He was too old for that. He taught me things, but nothing about this.
         I tried to remember what had happened. The memory was hazy, but I could still remember. I had walked into the white room, seeing him behind a white table that was similar to a doctor’s. His hair was grey and his eyes looked distant. He wore a long, white lab coat.
         “Please, sit down,” He said without looking at me,” I’m glad you’re here.”
         “There aren’t any chairs,” I had told him, confused.
         “Sit on the table.” I’d hesitated, but walked over and sat down. I didn’t have any idea what he was going to do, so I asked.
         “I prefer not to tell you exactly every detail. Just think of it as a shot to make you healthier,” He told me, pulling out a needle,” I’m not going to be around much longer, and I hate to test this on you, but you’re the only one who’d do this for me.” My eyes had grown wide. What did he mean ‘test’? He was like a father to me, but why was he so sure I’d stay?
         He had been right. I’d stayed. He really didn’t have many days left and even if it meant dying, I’d let him do what he wanted.
         “Lay down. This should only hurt for a moment, then you’ll fall asleep. When you wake up I should still be here. Now, this needle will go into your arm and this,” He told me, holding up another,” will go to your heart.” I sat up slightly, my mouth opening to ask if that would harm me, but he’d cut me off.
         “No questions please. You will be fine as long as this goes right. It will go right. Now lay back down.” I’d laid back down, waiting. He cleaned my wrist and ten ripped my shirt down to where my heart was located, cleaning there too. I’d seen him get the needle, putting it in my arm. It stung. The same sting I felt now. He quickly grabbed the other, shoving it into my heart. The pain quickly spread and I had opened my mouth to scream.
         It had never come out. I hadn’t fallen asleep, I had gone unconscious from the pain. I heard footsteps leaving the room and I opened my eyes. The tiny window near the ceiling told me it was dark. How long had I ben asleep? What had happened to me/ Why was I so thirsty? I sat up, taking a breath. Why did that seem so unfamiliar? I listened, hearing Skuff walk around in the kitchen. The kitchen was so far away, but I could hear sugar being poured into liquid. I sniffed, getting different scents; one of them was coffee. I heard him pick up the mug and some papers, then turn and come back. When he reached the doorway he stopped. His jaw hung open as he starred at me. At the same time his jaw dropped, so did his cup. I slid off the table easily, ignoring any pain, and caught it. I sood up, breathing in the scent of coffee and another scent that was unfamiliar to me, and handed him the cup. He took it slowly and I backed up, leaning against the table. My throat burned worse when he was so close to me. I stared at him, wondering why he looked so amazed.
         “Are you alright,” I managed to croak. He blinked a few times before grabbing a cup off the counter.
         “H-here,” He said shakily, handing it to me,” You’ll feel better.” I took the drink, not bothering to smell or take more than a glimpse of it. I took a sip and my throat immediately felt better.
         “do you like it?”
         “Yes,” I told him,” How long was I…asleep?” I looked at him, noticing he didn’t look well.
         “Only a few months. You’ve done well.”
         “A few months,” I yelled,” What about my friends? My schoolwork?”
         “Your friend has been told you went on a trip. And you graduated early. Your diploma is on the table.”
         “How did you get it without me?”
         “I told them you were deathly ill and you can’t make it to the graduation. They said that your grades were good enough that they could send it home with me.” I nodded, wondering what else to say.
         “What did you do to me?: He looked at me with wide eyes when I said that. He opened his mouth to answer, but wrods never came out.
         He fell, limp and lifeless, to the floor. I grabbed the phone that had been on the counter, dialing 911. They answered, telling me he’d be ok and to stay where I was. Help was on the way. I hung up, knowing I couldn’t stay when I didn’t know what he did to me. I grabbed his body, dragging him into the kitchen. I grabbed a pen and a paper, writing down what happened and saying that I didn’t want stay because of the pain. He was already dead. Grabbing his keys from the hook, I locked his lab and headed out the door.
         I ran through the trees faster than I ever had before, heading to Jacob’s home. He was the same age as me, but much taller. I had no idea what I looked like or what he’d say when he saw me. I didn’t care.
         I knocked on his window, hoping he’d be up. Sure enough, the light came on and he opened the window.
         “Lena? I thought you were gone? What the hell is that smell?” I looked at him, breathing slowly. That smell had to be him.
         “You, Jacob. Can I come in?” He nodded and I crawled through, brushing the hair out of my eyes. I heard a gasp and looked up to see Jacob staring at me.
         “What? I know I look horrible, but- god Jacob, you need a shower.”
         “Lena- You-but why? Who changed you?”
         “Skuff. Is it really that noticeable? Skuff! Jacob, Skuff is dead!”
© Copyright 2008 xlxLost.Causexlx (lost.cause at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1485259-Thirst