*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487008-Fireworks
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1487008
Fireworks set off feelings between two friends....
Alayna and Don had just under an hour left in their shift. It was the Fourth of July and Alayna was expecting the last minute call and assumed alcohol would be involved. And Alayna was right, although it wasn’t exactly last minute; they still had 45 minutes left in the shift. They were dispatched for a guy who was intoxicated and had fallen off the deck.

After they cleared the hospital, Alayna was trying to get back to headquarters quickly so they could finish their paperwork and be out in time to see the fireworks. The town sponsored the fireworks display every year and they are held at the park across the street from police headquarters. As Alayna and Don got closer to headquarters they got stuck in traffic. The police department shuts down the roads in the area of the park for safety reasons. There are always a lot of people walking on the roads and having them open to traffic would be dangerous. At the intersection down the road from headquarters, Alayna and Don passed Jason Daniels, who was blocking the intersection. He looked bored and lonely as Alayna waved to him when they passed.

Alayna parked the ambulance when they finally got back to headquarters. They walked into the office and Don offered to finish their paperwork. He had to make sure all their call sheets were complete as well as their log sheet. Alayna made sure all the necessary call information was entered into the departments computer system. When Alayna was done with the computer, she grabbed her gym bag so she could change. When she came in for her shift she had planned on staying for the fireworks, she just wanted to change out of her hot, uncomfortable uniform. When she got into the locker room, she changed into her denim shorts, black tank top and flip flops. She put her uniform into her gym bag and walked back to the office. Don had finished the paperwork and offered to bring it down to their boss’ office. Alayna walked out of the building and put her gym bag in her car. She didn’t have a specific place that she was planning on watching the fireworks from, so she decided she would walk down the block to where Jason was posted. While she was walking over to him, she glanced up to the sky and saw it was pretty much black. A test firework was set off and it made Alayna jump because she wasn’t expecting it. When it exploded in the sky it made a green circle.

“What’s going on?” Jason asked as Alayna walked up to him.
Jason was leaning against his patrol car facing the field.

“Not much, figured I’d come keep you company for the fireworks.”

“That’s nice of you.”

“You looked lonely.”

“With something like this, lonely can be good.”

“I can leave if you prefer lonely.”

“No, I’d much rather your company.”
As Jason finished his sentence another firework was shot up. This one was red when it exploded.

“Must be getting close,” Jason said.

“That first test one scared me,” Alayna replied.

“You’re scared of a little boom?”

“Only when I’m not expecting it.”

“Well, I’m going to forewarn you that in the very near future there will be a large amount of fireworks set off and there will be booms.”

“Thank you, jackass,” Alayna said smacking Jason’s arm.

“Jackass? I’m trying to help you out and make sure you aren’t scared.”

“Gee thanks.”

“Anytime.”

Another firework was launched and it was quickly followed by several more. Alayna turned and leaned against the patrol car next to Jason. They both stayed silent for the first several minutes of the display.

“I love those,” Alayna said after one of the weeping willow fireworks exploded in the sky.

“They are pretty cool.”

Jason shifted slightly and put his left arm around Alayna’s shoulders. She turned her head slightly and looked at him, giving him a small smile before returning her attention to the display.

“Any of them scaring you?” Jason asked after several more minutes of silence.

“Not at all.”

Alayna scooted a little closer to Jason and laid her head on his shoulder. Jason moved his arm from her shoulders and moved it down her back, placing his hand on her left hip. Alayna took her left hand and rested it on top of the hand Jason placed on her hip. Jason placed a soft kiss on the top of her head and then rested his head against hers.

Alayna’s attention was no longer on the fireworks display. She was now concentrating on the fact of how right that moment felt. She felt so safe and comfortable in his arms. The two have been close friends for several years, but they never crossed that line of being anything more than friends.

Jason could barely see Alayna’s eyes, but he could tell the wheels in her head were spinning about something. He was glad that she came over to him to watch the fireworks. They don’t get to spend a lot of time together, for various reasons, and he likes when she is around.

As the finale began, Jason lifted his head, but his hand remained in place on her hip. As a reaction to Jason moving, Alayna turned to look at him. Jason’s dark brown eyes met Alayna’s bright green eyes and they locked stares. Jason took his free hand and tucked a piece of Alayna’s chestnut brown hair behind her ear. His hand lingered on her cheek and she turned her head slightly into his hand. Jason’s eyes never left hers as he leaned down and kissed her. The kiss was soft and slow at first, but then their years of desire caught up to them and the kiss deepened. Alayna turned her body so she was facing Jason and put her arms around his neck. Jason’s arms snaked around her waist. The two continued to ignore the fireworks display above them and focused on each other. When all the booms stopped, Alayna separated her lips from Jason’s and rested her forehead against his.

“Wow,” Jason said slightly out of breath.

“Yeah, wow,” Alayna replied also a bit winded.

“That was better than I ever imagined.”

Alayna didn’t reply and Jason noticed she got a bit tense in his arms. She also broke their eye contact by looking down, but did not pull away.

“Lay?” Jason whispered.

“This can’t ever happen again,” she said as she pulled herself out of Jason’s arms.

She started running back toward the parking lot.

“Alayna!” Jason yelled as he moved to follow her.

“Alayna, wait!” he said as he caught up to her and grabbed her arm.

She turned around momentarily as she pulled her arm from his grasp. When she turned around Jason could see she had tears running down her cheeks. She turned back and resumed her run toward the parking lot.

“Alayna, please come back,” Jason pleaded again.

Jason wanted nothing more than to run after her, but he couldn’t leave his post. The only thing he was able  to do was watch her disappear into the crowd of spectators that were beginning to leave the park.
© Copyright 2008 RaceGirl4148 (racegirl4148 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487008-Fireworks