*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487542-Abby
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1487542
This is a short, fictional story.
                                                      ABBY


         She woke with a warm, peaceful sensation all around her.  She opened her eyes and saw a woman she had never seen before. 
         “Shhh, my beautiful girl, its o.k.”, the woman said.  Even though she had never seen this woman before she felt safe and sound.  After what seemed like hours she squirmed out of the woman’s arms. 
         “Don’t run off too far now, Abby”, the woman said.  Abby turned and looked at the strange woman.  No sense of evil emanated from her.  She was a short, plump lady with grey hair and rosy cheeks.  She had a soft voice and a kind heart.  Abby felt safe with her, although something awful had happened she just knew it.  Abby turned back around and surveyed the scene.  They were in a park with children running and screaming on the playground equipment.  Birds chirped and toads croaked.  It was the perfect summer day; no one had a care in the world. 
         Looking to her right, Abby saw a road with lots of cars and flashing lights.  She knew that this is where the bad thing was and she was curious as to what it was.  She took a step in the direction and a hand grabbed her shoulder.  She shrieked.
         “It’s ok, babe”, the woman said bending down to look into her eyes, “but you cannot go over there.”
         “But why?” Abby said, looking at the woman imploringly.  How do I say this?  The woman thought.  She sat for a few moments while the woman collected her thoughts. 
         “You just can’t”, the woman said hastily.  Then she took Abby’s hand and ushered her away.  Away from everything, the children, the playground, and the road, to a deserted looking field. 
         “I don’t want to go over there.” Abby said, finally feeling a little scared.  She tugged on her hand trying to get away.  The woman would not let go of her hand.  The harder Abby pulled the tighter the woman squeezed.
         “Ouch! You’re hurting me.”  Abby said.  The woman squatted again and met Abby’s eyes, and then let go of her hand to look at it.
         “It’s ok dear; we just have to get going.  I’m not going to hurt you.”  The woman said soothingly.
         “I just want my mommy.” Abby stated as tears welled up in her eyes.  The woman let out a deep breath, pondering how to explain this to such a small girl.  The woman raised her eyes skyward and Abby bolted.
         “Wait!” Screamed the woman.  “You must not go over there, you just can’t!”    The woman’s screams fell on deaf ears.  Abby ran with all of her might, never looking back.  She ran straight for the flashing lights and slowed down when she came near. 
         There were men and women everywhere.  Police men and paramedics swarmed the area.  There were cars and an ambulance and someone was lying on the ground.  Abby took a few tentative steps forward.  Then she gasped. 
         The person lying on the pavement looks a lot like me, Abby thought.  But I am here and so it can’t be me.  The woman, panting, ran up to Abby and stood beside her as Abby surveyed the scene. 
         “Mommy!” Abby screamed and ran toward her mom.           
         “No!” The woman screeched, but it was too late.  Abby ran at her mom and tried to grab onto her leg, but couldn’t.  Her mom was crying, and looked very distraught. 
         “Oh dear.” The woman said.  “What have I let happen?” 
         Abby looked up at her mom, who seemed not to notice her and said “Mommy why are you crying?  It’s ok.”  Again she tried to grab a hold of her mom and couldn’t.  Abby turned her tearful eyes on the woman who was standing in shock, staring at the scene that was playing out before her, unable to do anything.
         Soon Abby’s dad rushed up.
         “Daddy.” Abby said, with a smile returning to her face.  But just like her mom, her dad paid no attention to her. 
         “Oh my god”, the dad said, through clenched teeth. 
         “My darling Abby, my baby”, her mom wailed, throwing herself into her husband’s arms.  The woman rushed up and grabbed Abby’s arm.
         “You have seen enough, now let’s go.”  The woman said.  Abby let her turn her away from her parents and stopped when they got to the girl lying on the ground. 
         “Is that really me?’ Abby asked the woman.  The woman just looked at her. 
         “I will explain it to you all in good time, Abby” the woman said.  Abby let the woman escort her back to the field. 
         “So who are you?” Abby asked inquisitively. 
         “Well, I am your grandma” the woman said, as she took Abby’s hand again and they walked off together toward the bright light at the end of the field. 

© Copyright 2008 Shannon Anderson (smanders25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1487542-Abby